Scotch Brite

And changing the tyres is the easiest of the motor sport reference you can make Andrew.

Can't do anything once the rest is built. So, if its wrong, its wrong, all surface in the world wont fix it.

Surely even the most perfectly drilled ball in the world is just a brick if the interaction between coverstock and lane surface doesn't generate the reaction required?

Surely even the most perfectly drilled ball in the world is just a brick if the interaction between coverstock and lane surface doesn't generate the reaction required?

Absolutely.

But surface is your final tuning tool you have. But if the layout is simply wrong, all the surface in the world will not make it perfect.

If the layout is perfect, the surface will make it better.

Is there such thing as a perfectly drilled ball though? Maybe at pro tour level, but there are so many variables to take into account...unless you have money to burn and a dozen test balls at your disposal. You can drill a ball up to do a certain thing, fine tune the reaction with balance holes and coverstock adjustments...but the result is not always what you expect. I drilled a rico Brunswick Karma for a good player a few weeks ago to give him a nice smooth even reaction for something fresh...then the ball went off its head. I just looked at him and said "sorry mate, it shouldnt have done that" He loves the ball though and has since thrown 300 with it. Sometimes even the unexpected can be good in a bowling ball.

Hi Rychenroller,

I spent a lot on balls in my first 12 months back in the game, playing with layouts, weights and surface. When I bought my first Morich ball Jan 2012 I found that the support offered was great. Sent in my video, with details I had.

They gave me my release spec, a bench mark base line. That gave me my window of more right than wrong. Never perfect as I am human and my bowling is full of errors. No ball will fix my errors. After drilling a new ball I would send another video with the results and would be given tuning advice such as P? weight holes and possible surface changes.

Now I am totally happy with my kit, and I can never blame the equipment as it is configured to the best possible layouts for my natural release.

This is why I believe bowling now is actually harder than 30 years ago, sure the scoring pace can be easier, but it can also be a heck of a lot harder. The difference between the two is night and day.

Is there such thing as a perfectly drilled ball though? Maybe at pro tour level, but there are so many variables to take into account...unless you have money to burn and a dozen test balls at your disposal. You can drill a ball up to do a certain thing, fine tune the reaction with balance holes and coverstock adjustments...but the result is not always what you expect. I drilled a rico Brunswick Karma for a good player a few weeks ago to give him a nice smooth even reaction for something fresh...then the ball went off its head. I just looked at him and said "sorry mate, it shouldnt have done that" He loves the ball though and has since thrown 300 with it. Sometimes even the unexpected can be good in a bowling ball.

RICO is a very underrated drilling layout, some of the best series I've ever bowled were with a Storm Hit Pearl with RICO.

They gave me my release spec, a bench mark base line. That gave me my window of more right than wrong. Never perfect as I am human and my bowling is full of errors. No ball will fix my errors. After drilling a new ball I would send another video with the results and would be given tuning advice such as P? weight holes and possible surface changes.

Well Mo is probably the best in the business so, I agree with your way of doing things. Very few in Aust offer the axis tilt/rotation graphical overlay in video capture. I incorporate a fair bit of the wikifit theory in my drilling.

Having said that, I've always used the layout as a general guide and fine tuned with gradient line holes and surface alterations. 90% of the time the customers are happy with the reaction out of the box, so a P2 hole is all we do to legalize. Works.

rychenroller said:
Is there such thing as a perfectly drilled ball though? Maybe at pro tour level, but there are so many variables to take into account...unless you have money to burn and a dozen test balls at your disposal. You can drill a ball up to do a certain thing, fine tune the reaction with balance holes and coverstock adjustments...but the result is not always what you expect. I drilled a rico Brunswick Karma for a good player a few weeks ago to give him a nice smooth even reaction for something fresh...then the ball went off its head. I just looked at him and said "sorry mate, it shouldnt have done that" He loves the ball though and has since thrown 300 with it. Sometimes even the unexpected can be good in a bowling ball.​
RICO is a very underrated drilling layout, some of the best series I've ever bowled were with a Storm Hit Pearl with RICO.

Can someone please explain more fully what "RICO" is?
Thanks
Brien S

Back
Top Bottom