Ebonite SR300

J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 4 3/4"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 5"
Balance Hole: None
Surface Preparation: Scuffed with Gray Scotch Brite Pad

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

After practicing with all of the previous balls that I had drilled, it was obvious that I had one enormous hole in my arsenal before traveling to Las Vegas. I was lacking a medium range, smooth breakpoint reaction that would allow me to read lane oil, pattern, length, and overall reaction. While some of my other balls are outstanding pieces of equipment, it's always best to find a nice smooth reaction to help you read lane patterns.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

The SR300 performs just like you would expect a lower differential ball to perform in the first 20 feet. No issues with getting the ball through the heads. The slightly higher rg and lower differential, combined with the GB 10.7 coverstock allow this ball to just glide through the front of the lane. This is definitely a trait that I'm looking for in a smooth reacting bowling ball. I don't want the ball checking early like my Infinite One or Big One would. The SR300 is a champ in this department.

Looking for that smoother reaction, I chose a little stronger pin than normal for me (4 3/4"). I typically use pins in the 5 1/4" to 5 3/4" range to cut down the track flare and delay reaction. But when you are looking for a smoother reaction, you want the ball to read the lane slightly earlier and lose some of that axis rotation. The SR300 flares approximately 3" for me in this pin position. By using a stronger pin position than normal, I am able to get the ball to "burn" off some of the length it builds through the first 20 feet of the lane.

I chose a 5" preferred spin axis to also create a smooth breakpoint. Notice that this is the same layout as the Infinite One that I've reviewed. The overall shape of the two balls is actually somewhat similar. But there are two major differences between the balls. First, the coverstocks are radically different in aggressiveness and preparation. While I left the Infinite One at the box condition 500 Grit Abralon, I used a gray scotch brite pad on the SR300. I was looking for a nice smooth breakpoint, and gray scotch brite gives me this kind of look down lane. Second, the core strength between the two balls is much different, as the SR300 has only a .038" differential. I knew that the ball was going to flare much less, creating less friction, which creates less hook potential.

Due to its lower flare potential, the SR300 is simply not built to be a larger hook potential ball. So why try to make it into that? The SR300 is a perfect benchmark type reaction that allows the bowler to read the lane condition. Powerhouse Training Clinics students have learned about lane play techniques and know the value of this type of bowling ball. This is the type of reaction that can put you into the right part of the lane condition to optimize your scoring.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

A picture of this ball and the layout can be viewed on our website if you are interested.