J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 5"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 7 1/2"
Degree Layout Conversion: 105 Degrees
Balance Hole: None
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

The first Big One that I drilled (reviewed early on this website) gave me a decent ball reaction but really laid off in the backend portion of the lane. This shouldn't really surprise given the layout that was used on it. With this Big One, I wanted to keep the box surface but get a reaction that gave me just a little more "pop" in the backend. I was going for a reaction that had similar length to my original Big One but continued through the backend just a little more.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

This Big One is a great example of how a bowling ball can work out for you if you just think through the layout and lane play process a little bit. This Big One clears the front portion of the lane similar to my first ball. The Big One needs some head oil to push through the heads. It's very difficult to get the ball down lane without some front-end skid. This shouldn't surprise anyone, and the fact that the ball reacts in this manner is fine, given that there are many other options with more length in the Ebonite brand line. I tested this ball alongside a new Angular One, as well as a new RXS300. This ball rolls significantly earlier than either of those.

The breakpoint move I get with this ball is very predictable and is perfect to accomplish my goal. The move at the spot is very smooth and controllable due to the 105 degree layout. When the ball begins to respond to friction, it just "tips" over and doesn't make any sudden moves. This is advantageous for my game, as I need smoother reactions at times. I've used a 5" pin distance to control the amount of track flare in the reaction. By then combining with the weaker preferred spin axis location, I've managed to create a smooth reacting dull surface ball.

In overall hook, this ball would be pretty deceiving to the untrained user. The problem here is that the RG, differential, and coverstock are strong enough to play inside angles. But through layout, I've created a smoother reaction ball. This ball and layout is best when playing outside angles closer to the gutter with my game. When I have to start throwing this ball away from the pocket, carry drastically decreases and it's time to go to a lesser friction ball. This Big One has the ability to cover a lot of boards, but it's just not beneficial in the layout I've chosen. By staying with straighter launch angles, I'll optimize my chances for success with this ball.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

To see a picture of this ball layout, please visit my website at www.proshoptraining.com.