Ebonite The One

J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 5 3/4"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 3 3/4"
Balance Hole: None
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

I wanted to end up with a moderately aggressive ball that would cover some boards, play left to right angles extremely well, and have a quick transition or breakpoint down lane.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

This ball ended up being exactly what I had hoped it would be with regards to front-end skid. The ball clears the front of the lane relatively easy on any medium to higher amount of head oil. Also, the One seems to be good about letting the bowler know when there is not enough head oil to throw the ball. The reaction and shape that I get from this ball when the heads are too dry to throw it is totally different. It's very obvious when to throw the One with regards to head oil.

The breakpoint move that I get is also very typical for me with this layout. By moving the pin into a somewhat weaker position, I've helped the ball get through the front part of the lane easier. By placing the preferred spin axis in a fairly strong position, I still see a strong and sudden move down lane when the ball encounters friction. When given sufficient head oil, the One responds to the end of the lane pattern very quickly and creates large angles into the pin deck for my game.

The overall hook of my One ball is stronger than most balls. In relation to the other balls on this site, the One is considerably stronger than both the Big Time and Overtime reviewed on June 3rd, 2006. Compared to the Big One (also reviewed on June 3rd), the One is easier to push through the front of the lane but covers a similar number of boards.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

A picture of this ball and the layout can be seen on our website if you are interested.