J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 5 1/2"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 5"
Degree Layout Conversion: 70 degrees
Balance Hole: None
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

Drilling this ball was really more about furthering my personal education and learning the ins and outs of this bowling ball layout. This layout was popular by Tommy Jones in the last PBA season with The One. I decided to drill this second Angular One for myself to learn more about the ball and this layout in particular.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

In the front part of the lane, this Angular One reacts no differently than my first ball. The ball clears the front of the lane very easily and gives me no trouble on any lane condition with at least medium head oil. I've not had the opportunity to throw this ball on extremely dry heads, but I suspect that it would handle the dry heads comfortably. The shiny pearlized finish gives this ball's aggressive coverstock a chance to get through the front of the lane with ease. This ball comes at 4000 Abralon with Powerhouse Factory Finish Polish out of the box.

Core motion is what defines this ball reaction, and I can now see why Jones began using this layout in the original One series last season. As the ball travels through the mid-lane, it tends to read the friction slightly earlier than my first Angular One. When this happens, the ball seems to be much smoother at the breakpoint than my first Angular One. Even though the pin to axis distance is the same (see my other Angular One layout), and the amount of track flare is approximately the same between the two balls, the backend motion is totally different. This ball seems to arc more off of the friction spots and is very smooth when transitioning to dry areas. These smoother reactions can be extremely beneficial for high rev rate, powerful players. I'm not saying that my game is necessarily strong enough to take advantage of this though.

Overall hook in this ball is a little less than my first Angular One. I can rotate the ball close to 90 degrees and get this ball to hook more, but it just doesn't match the strengths of the core motion. Also, I did try sanding the ball down to 2000 Abralon. The ball reacted even smoother off the dry and played smaller launch angles extremely well at this surface. I already had a Big One (also reviewed on this site) that accomplished this, so I did re-polish the ball.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

To see a picture of this ball layout, please visit my website at www.proshoptraining.com.