Ebonite Whirlwind

J

Jeff Ussery

Pin to PAP Distance: 4 1/8"
Preferred Spin Axis to PAP Distance: 7 1/4"
Balance Hole: None
Surface Preparation: Box Condition

What I Was Looking For in this Ball and Layout:

Looking for a ball to lazily arc going down the lane, I chose to layout this Whirlwind in a simple "over the label" type of layout. I wanted the ball to get through the front easily and just arc all the way down the lane.

What I Ended Up With in this Ball and Layout:

No surprises in the front end reaction of the Whirlwind. I've yet to see a lane condition that I can't get this ball through the heads. As I found with the No Limit, the Big Bang reactive coverstocks get through the heads easily and delay transition for the middle and backend of the lane.

Here is where the key lies in the ball reaction I was hoping for. I wanted a ball that reacted soft off of the end of the oil pattern. I used a more aggressive pin position than normal in combination with an extremely long PSA location. By moving the PSA so far away from my positive axis point, I've created an incredibly smooth backend reaction in the Whirlwind. I also purposely chose a layout that would not require a weight hole, as I didn't want to open up the flare rings too much on this ball.

The Whirlwind performs exactly as I wanted and exactly as advertised. This is a great reaction for most players to go to in league situations or in the middle of longer format tournaments. The Whirlwind is one of those balls that I feel I can go to when the lanes are tougher and I'm really not seeing my ball reaction very well. In overall hook, the Whirlwind is certainly stronger than both of the Black Ice balls I've reviewed. But it is also an obvious step down in total hook from the One and Time series balls.

Length from 1-10 (Early to Late)

Breakpoint Move from 1-10 (Smooth to Sharp)

Overall Hook from 1-10 (Low to High)

To see a picture of this ball layout, please visit my website at www.proshoptraining.com.