Rooty Hill AGAIN??

Apart from the food (at the RSL) and the STAFF (at the RSL!), the only other issue is the distance from the airport (and the fact that I am too cr@p to be in it ... of course).

Believe it or not, there were times in the past that very successful nationals were held *shock horror!!!* away from the eastern states. Believe it or not, the eastern states are not the centre of the Australian sporting universe. AS I said, I personally have no problem with the natioanls being at Rooty Hill, but it is patently unfair for the more remote states to have to travel such vast distances at such inflated cost.

My first year of Rachuig was to travel to Perth 1997, which was a great week, bowled a truckload and over the next few years also bowled Gold Coast, Adelaide, Sydney.

I kind of agree, as per Brenton's previous post, if it is decided that the National's event is to be held at a certain location for a few years at a time, ie has been at Rooty Hill for a few years now, then we are guaranteeing the bowl, the hotel, lineage, food, occupancy and general all out revenue. We should be hitting these places like the Novatel and getting them to support us like we support them by spending money in their business. This to me is the most obvious way of lessening the costs of those that constantly travel from states further away.

Use a pool of this money to subsidise the bowlers costs for Rachuig and the other state team competition competitors to make all of their costs even for each and every bowler, so that all bowlers pay the same amount to compete. It might work on a sliding scale, base it on what it costs the hosts to compete and then subsidise the others accordingly, if it costs NSW bowlers $1000, QLD and Victorian players $1300 their subsidy is $300, whereas TAS, SA and WA, NT bowlers may get subsidised $5-600 etc. Obviously you can look at it the other way and say NSW or VIC bowlers don't get as much of a subsidy, but at least it is fair and when the event finally starts moving around to other states, the benefits will be there and obviously the guys who travel further have always had higher initial costs to begin with.

If we have the best state teams competing over 3 weeks wherever a Nationals is held, surely this will help event entries, boost the income of the bowl, the TBA, local accommodation etc etc and helps to continue to fund the cycle.

Apart from the food (at the RSL) and the STAFF (at the RSL!), the only other issue is the distance from the airport (and the fact that I am too cr@p to be in it ... of course).

The food at the RSL was a bit dodgy last year and the staff were ordinary on occasion, aside from that, can't fault the rooms, the food within the motel was nice and the staff friendly at the motel and bowl.

I'll bowl Rachuig again... when it returns to Hobart... :D

i'll go back to Hobart when they move that bloody steel pole out of the middle of the approach.

Born in the 90's; didnt live before it.. :p Out of pure curiousity; where were they held?

Ask Cricky....He should be able to let you know where every nationals have been since about 1978.

A no brainer for TBA & AMF to hold nationals in Sydney every year. Nearly 1/2 the population of the country within 900 kms of Sydney. Makes for double the entry's than if you ran the nationals in Perth, Adelaide or Hobart unfortunately.

Agree totally with Michael here.

If AMF / Novatel at Rooty Hill want to maintain the event there then they should come ot the party and cough up the money for the privelidge. Yes they might be putting up the sponsorship for the event (Masters only I might add) but they would be reaping at least three or four fold on that investment with all the people being virtually chained to use there businesses while at the Nationals. TBA should be looking at negotiating a considerable subsidy on accommodation charges for the Rachuig team member representative bowlers and officials. They should also be looking to get meal vouchers (for all three Rachuig days) thrown into the mix. This way we they can then try to use an equalization formulae to spread the cost accross all representatives so all pay a similar amount.

Terry,
There were 16000 games bowled in champs. I doubt that would cover the linage cost lost in social play. If you think AMF made $300k from hosting the Nationals then I have a bridge I can sell you real cheap. Novatel is not connected to AMF, and has no real incentive to offer any sort of deals - it just happens to be across the carpark.
Australias flagship event deserves a flagship venue. Rooty Hill is that, and while AMF are putting up the cash for the Masters they have the right to the location. Simple as that. As George has pointed out, noone is forced to stay at the Novotel or eat at the venue, so if you don't like what is on offer then stay somewhere else.
I'm sure if someone else can find $100K to throw at TBA they would move the event wherever they wanted. Good luck with that.

Seems bad enough that you have to play cricket for NSW if you want to bat for Australia, but now you find out that bias is being imparted on our National Championships. I say that you will now find less and less people bowling at the Nationals if it is permanently at Rooty Hill. I say seperate the AMF Masters event from the Nationals and move the Nationals around like they should be to all states. Let AMF keep the Masters at Rooty Hill if they are going to have a cry about there sponsorship of the event but do not pander to there whinging when it comes to the Nationals. The Nationals belong to the bowlers and not to bloody AMF!

I agree totally Australia is always at its strongest when we have the blues at the helm.

Terry,
There were 16000 games bowled in champs. I doubt that would cover the linage cost lost in social play. If you think AMF made $300k from hosting the Nationals then I have a bridge I can sell you real cheap. Novatel is not connected to AMF, and has no real incentive to offer any sort of deals - it just happens to be across the carpark.
Australias flagship event deserves a flagship venue. Rooty Hill is that, and while AMF are putting up the cash for the Masters they have the right to the location. Simple as that. As George has pointed out, noone is forced to stay at the Novotel or eat at the venue, so if you don't like what is on offer then stay somewhere else.
I'm sure if someone else can find $100K to throw at TBA they would move the event wherever they wanted. Good luck with that.

You are probably right Robbie, doubtful that the $96k they would have received would cover their normal 3 weekly intake, but certainly doesn't mean they were losing money aside from the sponsorship dollars. AMF when stumping up the cash certainly have the right to dictate some terms of their own, however this also doesn't mean that somewhere along the line the TBA along with AMF can't further help the bowlers by negotiating some terms with 'the club' across the road. Don't get me wrong, any saving is a good one, but if the TBA/AMF can organise close to a full occupancy for the Novatel, then surely the Novatel has an incentive to offer some cheaper rates, maybe some cheap meals or food vouchers for the 3 nights of Rachuig and the other state comps etc. Even a temporary 5% off members card, discount on the hotel breakfast, etc. I think you will find bowlers and alike will appreciate some small saving across various areas if the intention and meaning behind it is sincere as though they are appreciated for forking out their hard earned.

I agree totally Australia is always at its strongest when we have the blues at the helm.

Yes indeed hey. Thats why we lost the Ashes I might like to point out. Strongest with the Blues at the helm! LOL. You're kidding me aren't you.

The site works and the game has changed from the days of old. At least you get to know what the centre is like and you have a better chance of doing well. This is starting to be the norm in the US as well with most events being held in Vegas.

I am looking forward to it being at Rooty Hill.

There's an excellent record of Nationals venues on the TBA website, and other fascinating stats and details, in the Tenpin Events section.

Here's the link ... Tenpin Bowling Australia Limited - Records and History

For example, Adult Nationals venues ....

Australian National Championships

No. Year Centre & City State

1st 1962 Rushcutter Bowl, Sydney NSW
2nd 1963 Caulfield Bowl, Melbourne Vic
3rd 1964 Cross Road Bowl, Adelaide SA
4th 1965 Chevron Bowl, Surfers Paradise Qld
5th 1966 Rushcutter Bowl, Sydney NSW
6th 1967 Golden Bowl, Melbourne Vic
7th 1968 Olympic Bowl, Canberra ACT
8th 1969 Greenslopes, Brisbane Qld
9th 1970 Cross Road Bowl, Adelaide SA
10th 1971 Geelong Bowl, Geelong Vic
11th 1972 Rushcutter Bowl, Sydney NSW
12th 1973 Chevron Bowl, Surfers Paradise Qld
13th 1974 Olympic Bowl, Canberra ACT
14th 1975 Moorabbin, Melbourne Vic
15th 1976 Clayfield Bowl, Brisbane Qld
16th 1977 Woodville Bowl, Adelaide SA
17th 1978 Fairlanes Bowl, Perth WA
18th 1979 Metro Bowl, Bankstown NSW
19th 1980 Olympic Bowl, Canberra ACT
20th 1981 Chevron Bowl, Surfers Paradise Qld
21st 1982 Golden Bowl, Melbourne Vic
22nd 1983 Moonah Bowl, Hobart Tas
23rd 1984 Squash Bowl, North Rockhampton Qld
24th 1985 Woodville Bowl, Adelaide SA
25th 1986 Olympic Bowl, Canberra ACT
26th 1987 Cannington Bowl, Perth WA
27th 1988 Moorabbin, Melbourne Vic
28th 1989 Mt Druitt Bowl, Sydney NSW
29th 1990 Kirwan Bowl, Townsville Qld
30th 1991 Moonah Bowl, Hobart Tas
31st 1992 Gosford, Central Coast NSW
32nd 1993 Woodville Bowl, Adelaide SA
33rd 1994 Clayfield Bowl, Brisbane Qld
34th 1995 Geelong Bowl, Geelong Vic
35th 1996 AMF Belconnen, Canberra ACT
36th 1997 AMF Cannington, Perth WA
37th 1998 Burleigh SuperBowl, Gold Coast Qld
38th 1999 AMF Cross Road Bowl, Adelaide SA
39th 2000 AMF Knox, Melbourne Vic
40th 2001 Canberra International Bowl, Canberra ACT
41st 2002 AMF Bankstown Bowl, Sydney NSW
42nd 2003 Kirwan Bowl, Townsville Qld
43rd 2004 AMF Forest Hill, Melbourne Vic
44th 2005 AMF Illawarra StrikeZone, Albion Park Rail NSW
45th 2006 AMF Moonah, Hobart Tas
46th 2007 Oztenpin Altona, Melbourne Vic
47th 2008 AMF Tuggeranong Bowl, Canberra ACT
48th 2009 AMF Mt Gravatt, Brisbane Qld
49th 2010 AMF Bowling Rooty Hill, Sydney NSW
50th 2011 AMF Bowling Rooty Hill, Sydney NSW

Number of Australian National Championships by State

State or Territory No.

Australian Capital Territory 7
New South Wales 10
Northern Territory 0
Queensland 11
South Australia 6
Tasmania 3
Victoria 10
Western Australia 3

Even a temporary 5% off members card, discount on the hotel breakfast, etc. I think you will find bowlers and alike will appreciate some small saving across various areas if the intention and meaning behind it is sincere as though they are appreciated for forking out their hard earned.

If you paid $7.50 at the RSL it gave you membership for 12 months and discounted meals and drinks. I think it was around 15% off.

Number of Australian National Championships by State

State or Territory No.

Australian Capital Territory 7
New South Wales 10
Northern Territory 0
Queensland 11
South Australia 6
Tasmania 3
Victoria 10
Western Australia 3

Hmmm... Without firing up the spreadsheet, it seems that apart from the ACT being grossly over-represented, that presents a pretty fair distribution of the event in accordance with Australian population distribution. (Poor old NT needs a facility big enough to cope!) Canberra punches above it's weight with a long history of biggish centres, plenty of accommodation and in between Sydney and Melbourne (being a day trip from Sydney.) Plenty to do while you're not bowling, too. Especially these days.

If you paid $7.50 at the RSL it gave you membership for 12 months and discounted meals and drinks. I think it was around 15% off.

So why not have that thrown in as part of the accomodation package, I think it would bee greatly appreciated. I think the Rachuig guys also received half price or similar off the hotels buffet breakfast, which I thought was alright because every bit helps.

I just know you'll all love this !!!

First, the organisers set the entry fees.
Purely for example, say $200 base entry and then $40 per event.

Now comes the good bit...............Everyone from the metropolitan area used, e.g. Sydney - Melbourne - Brissy / Gold Coast combined and so on, pays, say $350 and $60, and the others pay $100, and $20 to part offset their travel and accomodation. Just a surcharge and discount.

There -- I knew you'd like it !!!

Back
Top Bottom