Ranked Tournament Shakeup

jockey

I originally posted some of this in the VIC forum under another thread.

I suggest its time for some radical reworking of our whole ranked tournament scene. My suggestion is this:

First establish what events are to be classed as "The Majors":

Both (Men & Women): K & K, SPC
Men: AO, SA Cup, NSW Open
Women: VIC 150, QLD Classic

Then schedule up to Six events evenly spaced throughout the year around the majors with none running within three weeks of a major with the following format suggestions:

Type 1:

Re-entry 4 Games Qualifying format $60.00 entry fee
Sports conditions laid down for the event.
Five Divisions: Men; Ladies; Seniors (Women 8 pins Handicap); Youth (Boys, Girls);
Step Ladder final for Top 5 in each division
SL1: 5 v 4 v 3 SL2: WSL1 v 2 SL3: WSL2 v 1 (no rechallenge)
After Top 5 prize payout in each division is one prize for every 5 entries outside the top 5 of double the Entry Fee.

Type 2:

Type 1: Re-entry 5 Games Qualifying format $75.00 entry fee
Sports conditions laid down for the event.
Three Divisions: Open (Women 8 pins Handicap); Seniors (Women 8 pins Handicap); Youth (Girls 8 pins handicap);
Step Ladder final for Top 5 in each division
SL1: 5 v 4 v 3 SL2: WSL1 v 2 SL3: WSL2 v 1 (no rechallenge)
After Top 5 prize payout in each division is one prize for every 5 entries outside the top 5 of double the Entry Fee.

The idea is to make it as affordable as possible for any bowler wanting to see how they perform on a sports pattern against the countries best without costing them an arm or a leg. They can also gain valuable knowledge by just interacting with all the bowlers at the event.

The formats allow bowlers to minimize costs (accommodation, entry fee, airfare / travel cost) as much as possible plus lineage costs are low as their is no matchplay meaning the prize payout is better value.

Qualifying squads for a one day event could be run up until 3pm with the finals and presentations finished by 4:30pm.

Qualifying for a Two day event can be run up until 2pm on the Sunday with the finals and presentations finished by 3:30 pm.

As fields increase seperate divisions may be required for male and females all the time. In the long run though it can only help promote our sport.

The large amount of bowlers gravitating to the event venues can be used as a marketing tool to seek out businesses that can benefit from being involved as a sponsor of the event directly (contribute an amount to prize fund) or as a value added sponsor (accommodation providers, local restaurants etc.).

One idea is to have an event from each of the existing sports series in each state designated as one of these events so we do maximise participation rates for each event and have a national ranked calendar that caters for all bowlers in this country.

The important thing is to establish the events (majors) that will be ranked retaining their existing setups and scheduled running times and then work the sports series divisional format events evenly throughout the year to maximize participation rates for all the divisions from all over the country.

I used to think the formats were the number 1 isssue. The VSS has tried all types of formats, and had success with all of them.

The number 1 factor is cost. I am not talking entry fees, but costs to get to events. I submitted a proposal to reduce events nationally down to 4 per year in each section, and place a greater focuss on local and state events, giving competition regularly and with good value.

Gillian replied stating that she would pass this on to the national tournament committee when it would be elected 1 week later. Attached is the cover letter and proposal sent. Perhaps it is best to send your proposal to Gillian at [email protected] and she can forward it on?

Attachments

• TBA letter.doc
    41.5 KB · Views: 27
  • proposal.doc
    81.5 KB · Views: 31
Back
Top Bottom