RACHUIG DRY LANES. GLAD i DIDN'T BOWL

noddy

how is it that when lanes are washed and RE-OILED that nearly every bowler had to pull out their spare ball just to try and keep the balls on the lane.

I was sitting back and watching this year and i couldn't believe what i saw.

Victoria's best bowlers subjected to conditions like that.

I know of three bowlers who are very sore still today after having to throw the balls down the lane instead of being able to bowl.

When Rachuig comes around in tassie someone must be hiding the oiling machine in the afternoons that's the only reason why the lanes were like that in the afternoon squad.

Very disappointed that such a great turn out this year may and because of the lane condition may effect next year's turn-out.

What will happen if this happens at the selection stage.

It didn't interest me this year plus i wouldn't get time off for both Rachuig and East Coast if i made them both so i'm going for East Coast instead.

Totally agree with you Al....i too am nursing wounds and probably will take some time to recover as i stated on another post it's a real shame that some previous state representatives and quality bowlers missed out on making the 16 due to the fact there simply wasnt any oil.......it is a great pity.
I also feel for the country bowlers who made the long trip down to have bowled for 10 hours on a very dry condition and then have to travel 2 and 3 hours back home....pretty sad really.

Hay no oil wasn't good at all even i moved the ball now that's dry:rolleyes:

Gary.............................................:cool:

and what was the deal with lanes 13 & 14. they were shocking and spelt the end for not only me but quite a few other bowlers. the ball was hooking even before it touched the lane.

shouldnt all these Great bowlers be able to adapt and change their style according to the conditions ?

Wouldnt this infact make them the great bowlers they are ?

The dredded lanes 13 & 14 at Mentone will haunt many of us for a long time i would think ;)
I think this pair of lanes summed up the whole day. At times we just had to laugh...
During the first block it was hilarious to see some people try and kook the ball on lane 13. Cheers erupted when someone moved the ball 3 boards.
In the second block cheers erupted when someone kept the ball on the right hand side of the lane. Even Thomo made Robert Smith look like he strokes the ball!!! ;) By the time was actaully started the second block, lanes 13 & 14 had three consecutive washes without any oil.
At the end of the day we had 16 quality bowlers make it through in both the mens and the womens. We also had probably the best turnout in a number of years. It was great to see most of the talent from the country venture down and remind us again who good they really are. Lets hope we can get a similar turnout in years to come.
Until then, to those that made the final, all the best for the next trial. I'm sure the final seven that make it will do us all proud. After all, as they say, no pain no gain lol.
Cheers,
Matto

The dredded lanes 13 & 14 at Mentone will haunt many of us for a long time i would think ;)
I think this pair of lanes summed up the whole day. At times we just had to laugh...
During the first block it was hilarious to see some people try and kook the ball on lane 13. Cheers erupted when someone moved the ball 3 boards.
In the second block cheers erupted when someone kept the ball on the right hand side of the lane. Even Thomo made Robert Smith look like he strokes the ball!!! ;) By the time was actaully started the second block, lanes 13 & 14 had three consecutive washes without any oil.
At the end of the day we had 16 quality bowlers make it through in both the mens and the womens. We also had probably the best turnout in a number of years. It was great to see most of the talent from the country venture down and remind us again who good they really are. Lets hope we can get a similar turnout in years to come.
Until then, to those that made the final, all the best for the next trial. I'm sure the final seven that make it will do us all proud. After all, as they say, no pain no gain lol.
Cheers,
Matto

Mental note to self – next time regardless of weather go fishing;)
First time at Rachuig trials and it was an experience. :mad:
I have had two recent dealings with the state committee and I have to say that they have failed to impress me in either. I don’t want to turn this into a “Lets bag the state committee” where everyone jumps on and says that it was crap with no real solution but lets see if with everyone’s involvement we can work together to achieve a desired result. No state committee no state trials.
Constructive Criticism
What you got right
pricing $50 for 10 games and all in the one day
Go and bowl 10 practice games in your home centre – not much difference in price.
Also having the trials on 1 day saved on accommodation costs for a lot of people although they might have changed their mind after the finish time.
Good to see a lot of Country bowlers taking the next step. Hopefully everyone that went home on Saturday night arrived safely. Realistically where else could you spend $50 for 13 hours entertainment?
What needs further work
9:00-9:30 check-in not on lanes until 10:15. Some people pulled out but it shouldn’t take that long to rework the lane draw
Redoing the lane draw because 1 person pulled out after 5 games?? If it had been after 3 games would you have redone the lane draw??
From a 9:00 am check in to a 10:30pm finish 13 ½ hours to bowl 10 games. Admittedly not all the state committees fault but it is something that needs to be reviewed. It was a big push to bowl 5 man teams but you only take the top 16 to the next trial where I imagine that for the head to head matches there will be four per lane. If bowling 5 per lane as per Rachuig then as a suggestion take the top 20 – it is an extra 4 head to head matches (2 per day) or alternatively bowl the elimination trials in 4 person teams to save on some time. Why go to the trouble of stipulating 5 man teams for the first cut if that is the only time that you are going to bowl them in the remainder of the trials
In the end personally didn’t bowl well, didn’t make the cut but enjoyed myself all the same. Will I be back again – Yes - What was that mental note again:confused:

Yes it was a hard day at the office and I do feel for Steve A and his staff along with the State Ass. who tried to make sure that everything was okay, but "Murphy's Law" managed to win out again.
To all those bowlers who made the final 16 well done, you were the bowlers who managed to make the right changes to combat the lanes. It was pleasing to see so many young guns make the cut along with the best that Victoria has on offer.
And Matto thanks for those kind words about me moving that ball so much, I have never, I repeat never stood on 42 board and throw the ball so far to the right and get a strike.what a great feeling....After 50 years of bowling I have finally managed to hit a shot for a well deserved pocket ball strike.(very rare for me).
Seriously thou, it was a hard day and a very long one and the State will need to look at this for next year.As chucky mentioned it was one of the best turn outs for quite sometime, hence the long day. So next year if everyone puts their entry in early we can avoid these Hicups and really enjoy the roll off.
So all those bowlers who made the trip to Mentone, don't depair, forget the day and re-entred for next year.

Well I must get back into my spa to repair this worn out body of mine,its been 20 years since I spend 14 hours bowling.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, we are all coming back next week and we are gonna be able to move the ball in the first 5 games and then the next 5 games we are gonna be able to keep the ball on the lane. We are gonna bypass lanes 13 and 14 as well. something definitely needs to be done for next year because i would think that the number of entries will drop dramatically. as a first timer in this tourny it doesnt give me great confidence to come back.

very bloody funny:splat:

imagine a bowling centre running out of oil during a state trial.

in perspective it would be just like KFC to run out of chicken.

$50 for 14 hours entertainment senstional effort state committee.

..... Meanwhile today on a current affair....

why chiropractor visits are on the increase this week.

have a laugh people its all you can do.........

chucker said:
maybe just maybe it was the whole thing was an april fools joke that got out of hand?:p

Thats what it was all about, April Fools Day.

After all the amount of laughing throughout the centre after the re-oil, it all makes sense now......

I hope this does not effect next years entries as after all, Victoria is the hosts next year at Altona for Rachuig. The roll offs have surely brought a lot of pain this weekend, but for the 7 who make it in, you will have such a great trip away, and you will learn so much about your game, you will be ebtter for it.

As a member of last years team, l can tell you it was a great experiance, and so much fun. Everyone just makes you feel welcome, and comfortable in the team, that you feel right at home, and makes you want to try out again, and again.

The conditions on the Saturday were the hardest l have ever bowled on in my life. Morning was fine (except for lane 13, even l could not get a ball to move, thats right me), and then after the re-oil, to watch so many bowlers move to plastic while we were practising was hard to believe. (managed not do that myself, but a very big increase in ball speed did occure).

Congrats to all those that made the 16, now the real fun starts, 4 weeks until the next roll off, 15 games of matchplay, 4 man teams, 2 days. that means we have 2 long days back to back. Not 13 hours worth, but around the 8 hours each day most likely.

Buzzer said:
imagine a bowling centre running out of oil during a state trial.
in perspective it would be just like KFC to run out of chicken.
Hey, watch what you say !
i went to KFC on the weekend, and they HAD RUN OUT OF CHICKEN !!!
i was shocked, my comments of ''who runs this joint, your a chicken shop, how do you run out of your primary reason for being open'' didnt go down so well.....

Buzzer said:
was it on saturday,
was it in mentone,
april fools strikes again:D

thats funny. Great turn out this year was great to see so many country bowlers but also to see some new faces from last year and the past. Well Done to the 16 that made the cut good for matchplay but a i like to say congrats to my brother Michael Castle first year at trying out for state team in juniors, youth and rachuig and makes it good work dude. See you all on the 6 of May.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom