QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup in Zagreb 15-24 Oct 2010

elsie

Media release just received from the organisers of the 2010 QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup ...
cheers,
lc

Zagreb, here we come!

QubicaAMF is pleased to confirm that the 46th Bowling World Cup will be held in the Croatian capital of Zagreb from 15th to 24th October 2010.

The announcement was made at the victory banquet to celebrate the 45th playing of the event in Melaka, Malaysia.

The centre in Zagreb, known as Bowling 300 Zagreb, opened on the 18th December 2009, and is the first project from investment company 300 d.o.o. , who are planning to build additional QubicaAMF equipped centres in other major cities in Croatia. It has 32 lanes and will surely be a big hit in a country where bowling is still a new sport.
This high-tech facility will be offering all visitors the best experience bowling can offer with QubicaAMF’s latest BES Scoring, including touch screen monitors, XLi pinspotters, Superior Performance Lanes with automatic bumpers. The centre also features 4 lanes of QubicaAMF’s Highway 66, a unique miniature bowling experience specially designed for young children, and a special VIP area with two large screens and private bar.

Other facilities include eight billiard tables, restaurant and cocktail bar - and with a night club due to open shortly, Bowling 300 Zagreb is set to be one of the most happening places in Zagreb. Ideally placed, Bowling 300 Zagreb is just 15 minutes from Zagreb’s international airport and is adjacent to City One, the most popular shopping mall in the city.
Marko Macek, Chief Executive of Bowling 300 Zagreb had the joy of making that initial announcement in Melaka, said: “This is a landmark for bowling in Croatia and we are so pleased to bring the world’s most prestigious tournament to Zagreb.

“We know players, officials and guests will experience the vitality and vibrancy of a new sport in a new centre, held in a new city which has great historic roots.” QubicaAMF’s Vice President Ron Wood said that with so many attractive options for the World Cup location, it can be difficult to make the selection but Croatia stood out as an exceptional destination: “The history and beauty of the country and their love for sport will undoubtedly make for a very bright future for bowling in the region.”

Croatia first took part in the QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup in 1995 when Franjo Katalenic was the representative, though the first Croatian woman to take party was Ljiljana Rakamaric in 2005. Marijan Valecic was the player in Melaka and he finished in 86th place.

Anne-Marie Board, QubicaAMF Bowling World Cup Manager, commented: “The new centre is very imposing and one of a number of major developments all over Zagreb. I am sure everyone will be impressed by the centre and the vibrant city.”

Croatia, part of the former Yugoslavia until the 1990s, was internationally recognised as a sovereign independent state in 1992, and is now a candidate for membership of the European Union. It has striking natural beauty and its coast is a popular tourist destination. Zagreb’s old town is a blend of Gothic and Baroque, while the modern city is growing apace.

ends

That sounds impressive, the question is how are we going to select bowlers to go to this tournament with no SPC? The Australian Masters is pass the cut off date so its up to Quibica to decide :)

It will probably be like America now George, they just pick someone from the national team. I wonder who the TBA would pick to represent Australia?????

This was from the press release last year regarding the ranked calendar. The wording was a little unclear but it also gave me the impression that the representatives would be picked from the NSW open this year.

"The South Pacific Classic will not be run in 2010. Much of the prestige around this tournament hinged on the winner taking their place at the AMF Quibica World Cup. Therefore with AMF no longer hosting the SPC, the
Australian representatives will be determined by other means. In keeping with trying to ensure a fair geographic spread of events, the committee decided that the NSW Open would be a better alternative in 2010. "

That's the way I understood it too George... it's an AMF Quibica spot so they could decide to send the winner of a raffle if they wanted.

IMHO there are few bowlers who deserve the honor of representing Australia in the World Cup. In no particular order our best candidates are....

1) George Frilingos, who over the past 5-6 years has proven time and time again that he is the man to beat in Australian tournaments. george has won just about every major event and continues to only get better and better.

2) Jason Belmonte, who is undoubtedly Australia's best ever. Jason has shown the world that there's more than one way to knock down pins and today he stands head and shoulders above all others who call Australia home.

3) Jason Walsh, who a couple of years ago was at the top of his game. but he seems to have lost something. He no longer dominates on the lanes, quite often struggling to hold his form over the course of a two or three day tournament. But if Jason gets his head back into it..he could give george a run for his money as the best bowler competing in Australia.

While there are a few others who might be eligible for the World Cup spot, they haven't enjoyed the sustained level of success of George and Belmo.

Thanks for the nice comments Wayne but the reality is Belmo gets the spot hands down. If he cant make it and Quibica change their policy in regards to Asymmetrical oil patterns at World Cups, yes I'd love to go. If not, Let Walshy, Qualla, Mick Little, Carl and Jarrod draw straws :)

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the comments on Jase..

Most people that are close to him know that he has been struggling with injuries over the past couple of years and therefore "struggling to hold his form over the course of a two or three day tournament"....which yes, has let his confidence go down to an all time low...

I understand that this is a public forum and people can view their opinions no matter what - if they know what is going on or if they don't.... so you know Wayne, Jase has been working his butt off to try and get his body back to near 100% and his confidence back up too so he can keep up with the rest of them and hopefully hold his form over a two or three day tournament!!!

Let's hope this year is a better one!

p.s. Bronx said ...My Daddy is working hard.......It's Hammer time :)

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the comments on Jase..

Most people that are close to him know that he has been struggling with injuries over the past couple of years and therefore "struggling to hold his form over the course of a two or three day tournament"....which yes, has let his confidence go down to an all time low...

I understand that this is a public forum and people can view their opinions no matter what - if they know what is going on or if they don't.... so you know Wayne, Jase has been working his butt off to try and get his body back to near 100% and his confidence back up too so he can keep up with the rest of them and hopefully hold his form over a two or three day tournament!!!

Let's hope this year is a better one!

p.s. Bronx said ...My Daddy is working hard.......It's Hammer time :)

Walshy will beat most on one leg with an arm tied behind his back...Sounds to me like Bronx knows his stuff very well...

Back
Top Bottom