Qld State Champs 2003

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
The 2003 State Champs for South & Central Qld have been pencilled in for the Sunshine Coast.
North Qld will have its own State Championship. This is due to the splitting of the State for State team purposes.
There will be a notice of motion at the AGM suggesting a combined State championship be held once every 5 years.

Dates

Andrew S

Just wondering if any dates have been decided on when the championships are being held for Both north and south queesnland

Cheers

Andrew C

It has now been confirmed that the Champs will be held at Sun City Bowl Maroochydore. Dates are August 16 & 17, 23 & 24, and 30 & 31. The Tournament Director is Narelle Qualischefski. Please note that this is not just a South Qld event, it is the State Championships.
TBAQ is however in the process of lobbying the National board to reverse the decision it made regarding Queensland Masters Reps.

2003 SQ State Adult Championships

Hi All
My understanding is that the proposed dates for the S Q Adult Championships on the Sunshine Coast are 9 & 10 , 16 & 17 and 23 & 24 August 2003
With the Masters to be on 23 & 24 August 2003.

I hope that this cn be confirmed soon
Regards

John you are quite right with your dates. Thank you. The dates I posted would have clashed with a Super 6.

What About the Masters Champs

Andrew,

I am hoping you can clarify something for me.

Since Qld now has two State teams, that also means that it will have two State Masters Champions . Now if I understand correctly there is only one spot allocated in the National Masters for Qld.

If this is the case how will it be decided as to who gets the free spot ?

Regards

Steve Hunt
:) :) :)

Steve this the area we are having problems with. The National body has told us there will only be 1 Masters Champion for Qld. TBAQ is lobbying for a change to this allowing for 2 Champions.
We think it is ridiculous having just one now that we have 2 State teams. We don't think we can get it changed for this year but hopefully the National board will reverse the decision for next year.
In the meantime the Masters representatives will come from the State Champs on the Sunshine Coast unless someone can up with a working alternative. June V. has forwarded the argument that because Qld did not send a Masters rep last year they should not be considered for 2 this year.
We reject this completely as it is totally illogical.
There is a great deal of dissatisfaction with the performance of the current National board and not just from bowlers. Proprietor groups are finally starting to show their teeth and question the decision making processes.
Sorry if this has turned into a political lecture but that Masters decision is simply pathetic.

Andrew,

Thanks for the reply, but why should the Qld representitive in the National Masters be the SQ Masters Champion ???

Is this a reflection of the age old view that Qld only goes as far north as the Sunshine Coast or that North Queensland are inferior to their southern rivals ???

I would have thought that it would be more appropriate for the NQ Masters Champion to represent Qld as this is our first year in Rachuig, and the fact that the Nationals are being held at Kirwan, the same place that the NQ Championships are being held.

Perhaps another alternative would be to compare the averages bowled by the people who win the NQ and SQ Masters, and the person with the highest average wins the spot in the National Masters. This method could be overseen by association members to prevent claims of impropriety.

I think it is grossly unfair to say "oh well we only have one spot available, so the SQ Masters Champion can have the spot till we come up with a solution". This smacks of NQ bowlers being classed as second rate by the Queensland Association (ie that an SQ bowler is more likely to do wellin the National Masters than an NQ bowler). Why should I bowl in my State Masters if I do not get the chance to win a spot in the National Masters when my counter parts in SQ get that opportunity. Or alternatively why should I have to spend hundreds of dollars to travel to Brisbane just to have an opportunity when the SQ bowlers don't have this worry.

I firmly believe that if a fair solution cannot be arrived at, then in the interests of ALL bowlers the Qld spot for this year should be forfeited.

Regards

Steve Hunt

Steve, following the original set up meeting at Kirwan Bowl for your Northern Adult Committee, TBAQ suggested to your Northern committee that this year the Northern Zone Champs be converted into a State Championship which would be open to all.
We were prepared to defend this decision should Southern based bowlers complain about favourable treatment for the North.As it turned out the offer was politely rejected by NQ.
We thought it would have been an ideal opportunity for all Queensland bowlers. As it is the NQ Zone remains closed to NQ.
So until the NQ/SQ issue can be settled at National level we still need a method of selecting a State Masters Rep. that is fair and open to all Qld bowlers.
The Championships at Maroochydore are not the SQ Championships, (occasionally even John McK gets it wrong) they are still the State Championships and they are open to all Qld Bowlers. By all means if someone wants to suggest a compromise Masters solution that is fair to both North and South it is still not too late, but I don't think forfeiture of the spot is the answer.

Andrew S. said:
June V. has forwarded the argument that because Qld did not send a Masters rep last year they should not be considered for 2 this year.

Who was the Masters rep that wasnt sent ?

As far as I know George was the 2002 Masters Champ (male) and went to the Masters final .. and I dont know if the female rep went. Unless ive totally missed the point ?!?!

Yes I won the Queensland Masters and yes I attended Nationals and bowled in the National masters. Tanya the womens winner did not attend. I think Andrew there has been a misunderstanding, I am 100% that I bowled and got knocked out in the 4th round.

And lets face it, whats wrong with giving the NQ masters champion a free spot. Look at last year when Mick was the 5th reserve and got to bowl as 2 people didn't even show up to the finals and 3 of the reserves couldn't be bothered bowling. I think giving a free spot away is simple enough, but as we have seen the simple and most logical ways are not always the rules that are implemented.

G

You are both quite right, we know George bowled and we know that Tanya was unable to bowl. Thats why it is so unfair. NQ should be given a free spot, as you so rightly point out even some of the the reserves didn't bowl.
If it was up to us that is what would happen this year, however unless the National Board has a change of heart we still have to hold a Masters in Qld. that is open to everyone.

Edited 5.21pm Monday 10 March.
I guess what has confused people has been my first post announcing 2 separate State Championships. That announcement is obviously incorrect. We assumed (wrongly) that 2 State Rachuig teams = 2 State Masters Reps. My apologies to all.

Back
Top Bottom