Purvis Granger in 4th Vietnam International Open

Jase

Admin
Staff member
For those of you who know Purvis from when he was out in Australia some years back i thought you might find this interesting...

7th July, Saigon: Ex-PBA bowler, Purvis Granger of the USA, proved too good for the field leading from start to finish in the Men's Open Masters first block finals of the 4th Superbowl Vietnam International Open which ended Friday evening.

The American set a cracking pace with a 279 opener followed by a 238 and then another 279 building up a healthy lead. The leader almost scored the tournament's fourth perfect game after Thailand's Sithiphol Kunaksorn posted his second and the tournament's third perfect game, with a 299 in the fifth game.

The scores were so incredably high that Granger had to continue posting massive games to stay in the lead. But things didn't look good for Granger as he began to suffer cramps with two games to go.

"I was going great guns and was pleased with my bowling throughout until I felt something in my arm," said Granger after the grueilling 10 games. "I felt a hugh cramp in my right arm as I started to miss some single pins. I guess I sufferd cramps from not consuming enough fluid but fortunately I was still able to last through the final two games.

Purvis Granger proving too good for the field

Granger ended the block with a total of 2508 and an awesome 250.8 average. ABF Tour Philippines leg champion, Surasak Manuwong and this year's Thailand Open champion, Yannaphon Larpapharat of Thailand were hot on Granger's heels finishing second and third with 2487 and 2316.

Granger crusied home to a convingly victory, 257-212 to earn his first title in winning the AVIVA Asian Bowling Tour Grand Slam in 2003.

"I must admit that this is one of my best performance in the last five years or so," said Granger. "I've been bowling well the whole week and considering that I only miss four spares throughout the championship is quite an achievement for me personally.

The runner-up earned a crack at the title after he knocked out teammate, Yannaphon Larpapharat and winner of the first match, Tosrin Kunawat in an all-Thai match, 259-235-215 before going down to the champion. Granger won the top prize of US$5,000 with Saurasak settling for US$2,500 and Yannaphon US$1,250.

Story thanks to www.abf-online.org

Can be found here http://www.abf-online.org/results/4thvietnam-res.htm#Jul06

Woo Hoo!

GO Purvis! For all you folks out there who never saw Purvis carve up a centre, you missed a real treat. Purvis makes bowling look easier than most folks make walking look. And he's a great house guest to boot!

Back
Top Bottom