PLASTIC BALL Championship

jimcross

I notice they have a plastic ball tournament on the PBA tour. What do you all think of having one here? Even a bit more restrictive, in that only one ball allowed. All the same brand / type of ball, and all drilled centrally over thr heavy spot.

Be interesting to see our top bowlers relying entirely on what they can make a ball do, without any help from the ball. Actually, I think some of them may do pretty well.

Hahahahahahahaha !!!Love your work Jim

Maybe some more realistic averages would be evident
What no 7 in a row when i miss my mark by 7 boards, What !!!!
Maybe the value of a spare may once again be realised

Yes, Geoff! I don't think we would get many enthusiastic starters to-day. Most people bowling to-day have never had to contemplate bowling without the assistance of a modern ball. Things not going right - change balls. It is a perfectly natural ( and essential ) part of the game. Don't do that - you're last. That's a generality to make the point. Bowling was concieved, and for 50, 60, or 70 years was conducted with balls with no special 'cover stocks' or fancy weight blocks, and indeed the ABC rules kept the balls within quite tight balance. Side / Top / Bottom weight was closely limited, for the very purpose of eliminating, as much as possible, any advantage that an out of balance ball would give. The bowler had to do anything that was done.
Those birds have flown, however, and there's no going back.

The ABC limited static weight imbalance, and still does.- they forgot about dynamic, or rotating, moving, balance, so the fancy weight blocks were able to keep within the static limits, while being wildly out of balance when bowled.

When the ABC did'nt stop the first ( or first few) of these new balls, it was forever impossible to go back.

This IS NOT to say that many bowlers to-day could not adapt, and maintain their level, compared to other bowlers. I can think of a number who could. A long, long time ago I bowled a 6 game block, with a hard rubber ball, as near as dammit to complete balance, at a 254 average. I've bowled higher, but never better.
Pro's in the 50s and 60s, bowled very high averages. Accuracy and repeatability.
Some of our present ranked bowlers would adapt well. Probably, some would not.
About 10 years ago, in an event in Brisbane, I had bowled in the first squad, and was watching a top Qld bowler - then and now - bowl in the 2nd squad. It was fascinating. He put the ball down, generally in about a 20cm, area, on different lines, every shot, and threw 2X 260 games. I think he'd have a problem with a balanced plastic.

Don't think we're likely to see one run. Lack of entries might be a problem.

Paul,
If we don't get any more starters,----- I hereby pronounce you ---THE WINNAHHHH.

Congratulations!!

By the way, how did you go in Cairns ?

Paul,
If we don't get any more starters,----- I hereby pronounce you ---THE WINNAHHHH.

Congratulations!!

By the way, how did you go in Cairns ?

I'd just like to thank all the people that have made this possible, my wife and kids with their never ending support, to my coach Brian thankyou so much. To all the people that helped out during the event, lane techs, guys down the back, girls in the cafe great sandwiches. The lane runners popping the pins back in the pit, everyone, thanks. I have never bowled in such a well run and efficient event..... come to think of it, hey Jim, what did l ave with the plastic? Did l look good?
As for Cairns, well if it wasn't a 9/ it was probably a split. I actually felt like l bowled well, certainly didn't show on the scoreboard.
Let me know when l can come out with the plastic again and defend my title.

Paul, what you averaged doesn't matter, nor does it matter that, of course, you looked good, ( great even ) for with such a genuine, heartfelt and indeed unique acceptance speech, so expertly and beautifully delivered, I think we have successfully killed off the tournament.

There may well be some who think they could outscore you with a plastic ball, but none who could match your graciousness as a winner They would feel diminished , embarrased even, by comparison.

I believe Bowlarama in Geelong tried to get a non-reactive tournament up and running.
This tournament did not eventuate mainly because of lack of entries.

Looks like the event may not be killed off? Blue dots everywhere. It looks like I could be wrong. This is theoretically possible. I remember once before I thought I was wrong, but it turned out that I was mistaken. LG and Bowlarama give me hope that this is so again.

Always did have the feeling that there would be very few, if any, top bowlers who would risk their reputation without a lawn bowl built-in bias to help.

Still think some would adapt pretty well. What about you George, if the money was OK ?

I believe Bowlarama in Geelong tried to get a non-reactive tournament up and running.
This tournament did not eventuate mainly because of lack of entries.

That is because people would have to bowl and play the game as it was designed to be played.
We were taught as 12 year old kids 40 years ago to never miss a spare
and get a double in each game and you can ave 200
Today you are taught to throw a ball that does all the work in an area of 6-10 boards to get 6 strikes , 2 splits and a mix of anything else and that is good to ave 210.

Sad but true !!!

Might look at running one as a 6-game preview for the Kirwan Open. Pancake plastic only - be a lot of fun.

Hey Rob. Been a long time. I don't think we ever agreed, did we, a number of years ago, on just what was that 'wet stuff' we could sweat out of a ball? Was it lane oil, or ???

Anyhow that 6 game preview's a great idea. Might create some interest, with not much chance of bruised egos. Sort of e-a-s-e people into it as a sort of fun thing Hmmmm.

Bluey, Patience, patience. You'll get to defend your title yet.

If once it gets a start -- It'll probably act like a virus, and pop up all over.

Just think how cheap it would be to compete. YOU ONLY NEED ONE BALL, which will last near enough forever !!

No excess baggage charges when flying. It goes on and on! A bit crook for the ball makers / sellers, etc.------ But..... everyone can't be a winner.

Everyone knows my opinion on this. I'd even be happy to see it played on a house shot!

House shot - why not indeed? Believe it or not, it is my experience, that lane preparation has far less influence on a bowlers ability to score, with, as Rob calls them, a mushroom plastic, than what a bowler can make the ball do. That's what matters, or I think should matter - What the bowler does, as opposed to what the ball does.

How many of you have gone from 230s / 250s on a pair of lanes, to the other end of the centre and got 150s / 180s ? With a plastic on the same lanes ( if you can bowl it right) it would more likely be 180s / 220s on all of them.

Makes sense really. The more the characteristics of a ball are able to magnify and enhance, what the bowler's release alone would make a non-reactive, mushroom weighted ball do, then the more that ball will magnify the effect of different oil patterns. Plastic even serves to reduce differences between left and right, as decaying patterns have less effect.

Jason, while I'm covered I think, by the 'everyone' label, I'm sorry to report that I don't know your views. I can guess, but I don't know.

Back
Top Bottom