Back to basics series - could we do it?

G'Day Jim,

Yes pancake weight blocks are still available, just like in the olden days.

I have a Scout Reactive, that is a pancake weight block. My spare ball is a Track Spare ball, again pancake. The White Dots are pancake weight block. just to name a few.

So yes, thy are still around. All low end and reasonably priced.

Balls that would be banned.... Because of non pancake blocks

Ebonite Clear Wolf
Ebonite Clear Werewolf
Ebonite Gemstones
Ebonite Skull
Ebonite Pin

Lane1 XXXL
Lane1 Crystal Buzzsaw

Hammer Clear (with the Hammer in it)

Track Flaming T

Storm White Team Storm
Storm Football

Visionary Clear Gargoyle
Visionary Infra-Red Amulet

Balls that should be banned because of surface (ie: softer than current spare balls)

Columbia Yellow Dot
Columbia Red Dot
Columbia Orange Dot (particle!)
Columbia Sur-D
Columbia Shore-D
Roto Star Roto Grip

Brunswick Mark X

Most of the Ebonite Magnums (Earl Anthony era)

Any plastic (or polyester:p) Don McCune has been near :D

I'm only 33, and I'm racking my memory here... Old guys, please help? lol

John Velo and Androooo - Thanks, but I think I can see now why the 'Plastic Ball Championship' in the US, stipulates one particular ball!!
There's room for endless arguement about which ball would be in or out. Nothing about bowling balls is straightforward, even if they're plastic ( or polyester)
( like the bit about Don McCune)

Balls that would be banned.... Because of non pancake blocks

Ebonite Clear Wolf
Ebonite Clear Werewolf
Ebonite Gemstones
Ebonite Skull
Ebonite Pin

Lane1 XXXL
Lane1 Crystal Buzzsaw

Hammer Clear (with the Hammer in it)

Track Flaming T

Storm White Team Storm
Storm Football

Visionary Clear Gargoyle
Visionary Infra-Red Amulet

Balls that should be banned because of surface (ie: softer than current spare balls)

Columbia Yellow Dot
Columbia Red Dot
Columbia Orange Dot (particle!)
Columbia Sur-D
Columbia Shore-D
Roto Star Roto Grip

Brunswick Mark X

Most of the Ebonite Magnums (Earl Anthony era)

Any plastic (or polyester:p) Don McCune has been near :D

I'm only 33, and I'm racking my memory here... Old guys, please help? lol

I'd even include the Brunswick Viz-A-Balls and similar covers. During my time in the States we discovered that Brunswick Viz a balls were giving more friction then the guys that were throwing the T-Zones. It was kinda crazy and it took one guy who had both to prove it for us.

Cow

The idea of this is good.

But can i put forward something. Back in 2006, the WTBA and Kegel held what they called the WTBA World Challenge.
Concept was simple. There were 2 balls. 1 was red, 1 was blue, the only differnece was one was 15lb and the other 16lb.

Why not use the model they put in place for this event and work along these lines?
http://www.bowlingdigital.com/bowl/node/922

here is the pattern they used. It apparently lastest the 8 games very well considering how little volume there was. This was part of the whole concept behind it, was to go "back to the old way" of doing lanes and making it a "sport" again.
http://kegel.net/patternlibrary/foP...=2&iKodMachine=3&iKodConditioner=3&iKodLane=1

Attached also is the CATS data from the winner Bob Learn Jr. The reason he won was quiet simple, look at his data and see how consistant he was. then look at his lower games and see how much he was different.

EDIT - found the rest of the CATS data from the event
http://www.bowlingdigital.com/bowl/node/1023

At the end of the day, take what you want from it, but this was a successful model.

Attachments

• CATS20060422BobLearn.pdf
    512.2 KB · Views: 20
I love the sound of this idea, How far would everyone be willing to travel for such an event??? Reason I'm asking is because here in Albury we still have wooden lanes and can even get out the old Century 100 oil machine instead of using the Kegel. Plus I'm sure Mum and Dad would be some what interested in hosting something like this...

I will watch this thread with great interest ;)

G'Day Andrew,

That is a great collection of articles from Bowling Digital, they have some truly great articles on there. Thanks for sharing that with us. It would be great to have a one make ball setup but obviously very hard without a sponsor supplying the balls to all bowlers.

Imagine how good it would be to also run such an event on timber lanes!
Really getting back to the starting point of the modern game.

Let’s see how the thread goes, maybe a supplier will see some of the interest shown here, that is now two centres happy to take on the event.

Everyone should check out the Ebonite Sport Series Forum.

We are going to be running a Plastic Ball event at our MacArthur stop.

There definitely seemed to be the support for such an event, so please get behind us as we strive to provide the bowlers with what you wanted.

Cheers, Cow

G'Day Stephen,

After you mentioned it at league I came straight home and order a new 15lb plastic Brunswick TZone.

Can't wait.

Just an update for everyone who was in this topic.

The next stop of the NSW Ebonite Sport Series is our 'Plastic/Polyester' Event and is on at MacArthur AMF on the 21st of August. All information in the Ebonite Sport Series thread. So go check it out, and we hope to see you on the day!!

Cow

You have way too much free time on your hands, say hi to your dad for me.

Good concept but travelling these days is so expensive but this would help with baggage. The younger bowler now has grown up on the current conditions and won't like going "backwards", it's human nature. They see the old way as just that, old, and would not support it. The way to get bowling back is with Sports conditions and then then have a grand final with a tough pattern, the best of both worlds. Compromise is the way forward with everything these days as the generations are so diverse, yet basically the same - but they just don't know it.

You have way too much free time on your hands, say hi to your dad for me.

Good concept but travelling these days is so expensive but this would help with baggage. The younger bowler now has grown up on the current conditions and won't like going "backwards", it's human nature. They see the old way as just that, old, and would not support it. The way to get bowling back is with Sports conditions and then then have a grand final with a tough pattern, the best of both worlds. Compromise is the way forward with everything these days as the generations are so diverse, yet basically the same - but they just don't know it.

Terry,

I disagree, tougher patterns aren't always the answer, and using a plastic ball for one tournament isn't going backwards. It is one tournament, sure a bit of a novelty, but will still test people's resolve and accuracy. Also, the pattern is going to correspond with the limitation of the ball, you aren't going to lay a flood to use plastic on.

Tougher patterns just make it harder to hit the pocket, which doesn't always correspond with who has the most accuracy, what should be made tougher is to knock the pins over, heavier pins to deal with the incredibly dynamic balls would be a start. Conditions from a so called by gone era weren't necessarily any tougher than what they are now. Scores have always been thrown, just more prevalent in todays era with the strong equipment being used.

G'Day All,

For those that are interested, next weekends NSW Sports Series is a Plastic Ball Event as requested by many, Stephen and John Cowland have got one up and running. So come along and have a crack.

This will be the easiest trip up from the car park at MacArthur I've ever done! 1 two ball tote! Yet another reason I'm looking forward to this event.

This will be the easiest trip up from the car park at MacArthur I've ever done! 1 two ball tote! Yet another reason I'm looking forward to this event.

I hope that there is only one ball in that two ball tote, perhaps room for a pair of shoes? Only one plastic allowed lol

Yeah, I haven't owned a one ball bag since I was about 16! I think it was about 8-10 lawns mowed to pay for my first two ball bag, which just goes to show that I still remember the value of it. Good thing I grew up in western Sydney where grass grows so fast! That would have been all year and then some in Canberra!

Shoes in the side pocket and the other ball slot for tape and all that other stuff. My car is going to love this trip! Could be a new PB over Mt Victoria. Better strap it all in nice and tight. Got some sedan dodging to do!

Good luck guys - sounds like lots of fun.

I can recall subbing in a league here in Brisbane at a certain centre (about 3 yrs ago actually) where I was hooking my original blue dot (25 yrs old & going strong) more than the locals hooking their resin gear. Now that was fun.

As always.....bowl well...and above all else...have a good time.

I hope that there is only one ball in that two ball tote, perhaps room for a pair of shoes? Only one plastic allowed lol

Couldn't you have two plastic balls in there? Say, one with a different/altered surface? So long as both are not on the excluded list, I couldn't imagine it would be a problem....

One ball rule for the event. Otherwise, I would have done so! One label shifted, one not-so-standard leverage drilling. But alas, one ball, so one ball it is! Kinda nice to just walk in there, get my thumb hole taped up right and say "OK, let's bowl!"

Hey Dale, last event I bowled in at Bennetts Green (circa 1994-5) I was using a Blue Dot and having trouble clearing the heads. (Back when I used to really hit the ball.) The guy I was paired with had a Teal Rhino Pro and his "spare" ball, a Gold Rhino Pro. He dropped it off his hand and rolled over the thumb, but that was OK, as the dry surface and dynamic ball core meant he could average 205 just like that. It was 12 years later before I bowled again. I saw that oiling technology was closing in on ball technology and maybe bowling could be saved from the "I can't hook the ball" mob. Just maybe...

Hey Jason,

Is that bowling with a backing sound track? DOOMP DOOMP DOOMP.........they just don't make them like that any more.

Back
Top Bottom