Petersen Points

S

Schoie

Hi All,

All I want to do is find the rules for Petersen Points scoring. We have a tourn next month and we have conflicting ideas of what Petersen Points are and I would like to get it cleared up. Is there any rule book that covers Petersen Points or anything I can download to read up on them????

Rob :?:

This is my understanding. I took this extract from an overseas forum.

In a Petersen point system, points are awarded for each "block" of pins scored. For examples, if the "block" is defined as 50 pins, and you shoot 575, you would receive 11.5 Petersen points. In addition, bonus points are awarded for victories. If you took 3 of 4 points, and 10 points were awarded for each victory, you would receive a total of 41.5 points for the evening.

:idea:

Andrew, could you put your reply in English. I would like to know too but your "block of 50 pins" (is this 5 frames?) etc leaves me none the wiser. Maybe be more specific in your reply, like give a real example of 1 on 1 competition over say 4 games.

Feral

Petersen points are simple

You get 0.01 points for every pin - which means for every 100 pins you would get 1 point.

I bowled in a league that gave 0.01 for every pin, SO : An 800 series would give you 8 points, an 854 series would give you 8.54 points, a 932 series would give you 9.32 points.

BUT i have also bowled in a league that only gives the point once you have reached the 100pin mark and there are no decimals SO : 800 series is 8 points, 832 is 8 points, 899 is 8 points but 900 is 9 points.

Its really up to the organisers to decide which method they use.

I do thank you all for your replies. Well one can only see how it turns out and who complains about the scoring after the tourn :roll: I think the want to add win points head to head and team overall I think but I will get all the info and find out.

Thanks again

Rob

Yep thats another way to do it as well .. adding the normal win points for games to the Petersen points.

Hi Feral
Graham explained it much better than me. The only difference was that he fixed his block at 100 pins whereas my example used 50 pins.
I only used the 50 pin example because that was what most tournaments used back in the 60s days. Under Grahams 100 block example if you bowl a 600 series you get 6 Peterson points. Under my 50 block example if you bowl 600 you get 12 points. The system used as an example by Graham is much more common these days and easier to calculate.
Other variations can include awarding a point for every 200 game.
But the original Peterson system worked everything around a pre-decided block of pins. Originally, the reason blocks were nominated was that odd pins did not count. If say you bowled 610 you still only got a Peterson point for 600. You did not get a fractional point for the 10 pins.
Sorry this is so long winded, hope you follow it now!

Andrew
Thanks for that. (Sorry, I didn't mean to use "harsh" wording in my original post). [-o< I now have a grasp of what the system is all about. Cheers.

Feral

Back
Top Bottom