PBA Tournament - Food for thought here...

krdavis

After just competing in a couple of PBA regional rounds I though I would share the format they use to run the tournaments. They run smoothly, no waiting, no mistakes, results are promptly delivered - very professional!..

1. The draw is done well before the qualifying round. They have a system on the PC to do this.

2. Pre Tournament, all bowlers are permitted 2 hours of practice on the condition - you are free to move across all lanes, try different balls, change surface etc.

3. On each pair of lanes they allocate bowler A,B,C,D and maybe E. You may initially draw lane 5 and be bowler B – You’re bowler B for the entire tournament. What this means, is when they set up the computer scoring they put in 8 games with bowlers A,B,C,D and E on each pair. When you are finished you just move to the next pair and bowl. No need to retype names.
There is no even move right, odd move left - just the bowlers on the pair move to the next drawn pair and start bowling when the group on that pair are finished.

4. Scores are collected after each game and results are posted within 2 games of being bowled. They constantly walk through the bowlers holding up a board with the 2 cut's score - Finals Cut (eg +90), and Cash Cut (+34). You know where you are at anytime.

5. They also run a High Game Skins where you can elect to enter at a cost of about $50 - they then pay each game the high and second high game - the total payout for this is 100% of the pool.

It just worked really well and ran so flawlessly, I can’t see what this type of this couldn’t be adopted for many of our tourns esp the Super 6 – It would make running the tourn a lot easier, quicker and less prone to criticism. A good thing aye Tony!

BTW: I got smashed so don’t ask! :( :(

I asume you only bowled in Regionals. Congratualtions for having go, most don't because it is so tough.
If you ever get to bowl the National Tour just multipy it three fold as it is the real world. But well done for giving it a go.
What Region did you bowl in.

The new PBA setup sounds great. I'd like it to be put into action for the 2007 SA Cup and many other tournaments!

There is no even move right, odd move left - just the bowlers on the pair move to the next drawn pair and start bowling when the group on that pair are finished.
How does this bit work,is it a one pair move or could it be many pairs ??

From memory it is a six lane move. Once your drawn together all four bolwers stay together for the entire qualifying.

Do they still have the double jump rule ??

Just went and looked your scores then Keith, good on you for having a go too. I reckon the PBA regional format looks better than the euro style re entry format used at AO(cant have luck being to big a factor in one of our MAJORS imo!!) put my vote down that the PBA format should be used in a semi major/major here in the very near future.

Terry,

Yes, the double jump rule still exists. Had immense fun(?) with that at the uS Open a couple of years ago. Felt like one of those sideshow alley clowns with my head going side to side watching and waitingfor my turn. Funnily enough, after a game or 2 it wasn't that hard, just needed concentration so as not to do the wrong thing.

For those who don't know the double jump rule, it works something like this:

You are on lane 14. Before you can bowl, you must wait for someone on 11 & 12 and 15 &16 to bowl, then you can bowl. If you don't strike, you must wait for someone else on your pair, then someone on 11 & 12 and 15 & 16 to bowl again before you can convert your spare. Amazingly, it works quite well as everyone gets into a rythm and eventually you are able to adjust your rythm so it feels quite natural.

Word of warning - DO NOT double jump an established pro or he will literally jump down your throat. It didn't happen to me, but i saw a few amateurs it did happen to and it was not pretty.

Brenton_Davy said:
For those who don't know the double jump rule, it works something like this:

You are on lane 14. Before you can bowl, you must wait for someone on 11 & 12 and 15 &16 to bowl, then you can bowl. If you don't strike, you must wait for someone else on your pair, then someone on 11 & 12 and 15 & 16 to bowl again before you can convert your spare. Amazingly, it works quite well as everyone gets into a rythm and eventually you are able to adjust your rythm so it feels quite natural.

Word of warning - DO NOT double jump an established pro or he will literally jump down your throat. It didn't happen to me, but i saw a few amateurs it did happen to and it was not pretty.

and some of us thought giving way to two lanes was bad enough!!!!!:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom