Oval Thumb Holes

hellokitty184

I've heard that you can get an oval thumb hole drilled in your bowling ball instead of round hole.
I'm considering this option for my new ball but I want to know if it really makes a difference.
Let me know what you think.
Cheers! :)

well oval thumb holes really depend on the shape off your thumb wether your thumb is round or oval.
as for vent holes they are put in a ball to stop the pop you get when you release the ball and it does help stop the ball getting stuck on your thumb if you have this problem than it is a good idea.

It's about shape, my thumb holes are oval because my thumb is distinctly broader than round. It is a huge improvement for me, because it is wayyyy more comfortable.

Whatever fits!

Oval Thumb Holes: I have one

I've heard that you can get an oval thumb hole drilled in your bowling ball instead of round hole.
I'm considering this option for my new ball but I want to know if it really makes a difference.
Let me know what you think.
Cheers! :)

I had an oval thumbhole put in about a year or so ago. I have arthritis in my thumb so it is very wide at the joint. It now fits like a glove (or hole even) and i think i release the ball much better than before.

I had Cheryl Munson do it at Bankstown, she also made a cast of the hole she drilled and then made oval so i could get a perfect copy of the slug for my other two bowling balls. She said it makes more sense since no ones thumb is round anyway.

I found it ok with a round hole before i had arthritis, but if you have a very wide thumb an oval hole is definitely the way to go.

:)

As people have been saying above, it depends on the shape of your thumb. I have oval thumb holes and they are so much more comfortable because they fit my thumb. After a lot of games, my thumb starts to swell and I end up taking more out more where I am rubbing, hence they now look really oval!

If you are rubbing is a particular spot on your thumb in a round hole, take some out of the hole where you are rubbing....this will feel more comfortable and you'll eventually end up with an oval hole!!

Go with whatever is most comfortable....it's when you bowl a lot of games that you notice this difference!!

I am the same. My thumb is fairly flat so my holes are oval shaped so i can get my thumb out cleanly. If my hole was drilled round i would not fit as the hole would be too big or too small.

Your ball driller should be able to tell you if a oval shaped hole is needed for you.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has responded to my question.
I have another question for you all.
There is a bowler at my centre who had an oval thumb hole drilled in his new ball and found it very comfortable. He then threw his old ball with the round thumb hole and decided to have that ball re-drilled with the oval thumb hole.
My question is if I do like the oval thumb hole do I need to get my other balls re-drilled? Has anyone had any problems swapping between oval and round thumb holes?
Cheers!:D

Any change in thumbholes (size, shape or pitch) between balls will feel different and affect your swing and release. So yes, match them up when you've found a winning recipe. But firstly, are you experiencing any trouble with your current grip?

I use slightly ovalled holes and like them a lot. Other players use very ovalled holes. For example, George Frilingos's thumbhole looks like a slot compared to mine! (I'd drop it at my heel, but it obviously works for him.) Grip comfort is a very personal thing. Find what works for you.

I promised to talk about vent holes earlier. I have tried them on & off, but have never really liked them as they make you grab the ball at the bottom oif the swing, or else you drop it. I went to Melbourne Cup in 1992 with vented thumbholes (except for my spare ball). The suspended ceiling carried the dent I made with my spare ball until the day the place closed.

I no longer used vented thumbholes.

Cheers,
Jason

Back
Top Bottom