A little clarity

Gnarkill

I'd like to find out what the ruling is when it comes to the definition of the 'thumb'. I know this sounds wierd but it's basically in reference to TBA rule 603, in particular 'when delivering a ball that has a thumb hole drilled, the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumb hole'.

My definition would be that the thumb starts at the first knuckle/joint (black square in the picture). Now wouldn't that therefore mean that any ball delivered with a drilled thumbhole that is placed over the red square, be an illegal delivery?

Attachments

• hand_anatomy_intro01.jpg
    hand_anatomy_intro01.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 12
As a matter of interpretation, I would allow basically the entire space from the closest fold line down, so in your picture the whole red zone plus possibly a bit.

"covered" is the important word, for mine

I think you're missing the reason why the rule exists.

The rule only exists to stop people from flipping the ball 180 degrees and getting a totally different reaction out of the ball, which is unfair to other players. It has nothing to do with the actual covering of the hole, nothing mystical happens if half the hole is showing..

However if you want clarification ask John Coxon - I did and it was explained to me as the above. I think the wording of the rule needs to be changed as I was once (only once) pulled up for it at a tournament in SA, and had to explain the whole rule and context to them..

Of course nothing magical happens if the hole is showing, but you change your weights moreso than a gripping bowler can, significantly. If you don't have to cover the thumb, you could drill it to say an 8" span and twist it 30 degrees - think of what you might be able to do with your core dynamics when you still have an additional weight hole allowed somewhere.

If you had a ball with no thumbhole (perfectly valid!) you can flip that over...

I have pulled up bowlers in the past, if I can see the entire hole. I don't stop them over a peek of the hole

Maybe l am a bit naive but covering the hole, flipping it over, twisting it around 30%, it doesn't mean the ball bowls itself. Plenty of guys with big shots still miss. Maybe flipping it over helps to carry less equipment but l fail to see any advantage over anyone else that has balls to cover the condition/ shot?

If you had a ball with no thumbhole (perfectly valid!) you can flip that over...

Close TreeSloth. There is absolutely no guarantee of any side, finger or top weight when flipping a ball over. But the right idea.
However, when you enter a tournament, especially one that has a restriction on balls, you must state clearly which side of the ball you will use. If you want to use both sides of the grips, then it must be stated, and both sides must be weighed. There is more chance of flipping the average ball over to gain finger weight, then side.
Most two handers could get away with it in normal competition, because we have no restriction on equipment. So as long as it weighs up, with the new centre of grip and all, its fine.
Static weights are useless for ball reaction, but almost everything we do when drilling relies on them. Weird huh...

Cow

Back
Top Bottom