No Thumb Bowlers

Sumo

Rumour has it that the drilling regs for No Thumb Bowlers will change and only finger holes plus 1 balance hole will be allowed. (Yes I know about vent holes on finger holes, let's stick to the real issue)

Firstly, can anyone from the TBA comment on this rumour?

Secondly, How can you weigh the ball for static legality without a Thumbhole to determine the grip centre point? Or is there to be an imaginary point so far from the finger holes? Or will it be between the finger Holes?

Sumo

Sumo, I am no ball driller but from what I understand, when you get a ball drill normally whether it be finger tip or conventional the ball is weighted so that the center of gravity is between the fingers and the thumb hole.

The ruling states that if you don't use your thumb then the thumb hole is counted as a balance hole, whereas if you start your delivery with your thumb in the hole then it isn't counted as a balance hole.

For the those people that have already gotten there ball(s) drilled with a thumb hole and have decided to not use the thumb then the ball must be plugged, reweighted and drilled. As far as I know, if this is the case then when redrilling the ball the center of gravity of the ball needs to be between the two fingers.

I would suggest taking this issue up with a qualified ball driller at your nearest pro shop. As for the rumor of any rule changes i have absolutly no idea about that. 8) 8)

Whilst I dont have copy of the ruling, this is what I was told in the US.

Bowlers are only allowed to have 1 extra hole other than the ones they use. ie if they only use 2 fingers they are only allowed 1 extra hole. It doesnt necessarily have to be in a position where the thumb might have been, it can be anywhere on the ball.

At first I thought this would limit the capabilities of the drilling but it actually works in reverse allowing the ball driller unlimited opportunities on how they can drill it. (Just ask belmo about the triangle drilling that Ron Hoppe did for him where just by changing grips he had 3 different reactions on the same ball just by turning it around).

The same balance rules apply as drilling any ball in regards to side, top, finger and thumb weight.

Thanks for your replies. :D

US rules and Oz rules do vary, just look at the options for cleaning balls during play in the states compared to here.

I'll see Peter Coburn from the TBA (Vic) tonight to ask for current status.

Sumo

George is incorrect...

According to what the PBA and ABC rules stated a few years ago,
If a thumb hole is drilled..the bowler MUST either use it or cover it with his palm during the swing.

If there is no thumbhole drilled..the center of the grip is considered to be the point between the finger holes and all static weights can be no more than 1 ounce in any direction, INCLUDING top to bottom.

This rule may be outdated though so please don't take this as gospel.

George and Wayne are both partly right.

From last years TBA rule book (part of rule 603)

"If a ball has a balance hole, all holes drilled for gripping purposes must be used. If a gripping hole is drilled and not used, it is deemed to be a balance hole. If a ball has a balance hole and all holes drilled for gripping purposes are not used for a delivery, the ball will be deemed illegal for that delivery and pins knocked down with that delivery will not be counted."

and: Rule 603, Balance, Part (c):
"A ball drilled without a thumbhole may not have more than one (1) ounce difference between any two halves of the ball" (ie, no grip centre needs to be defined for balance purposes).

Cheers.

Useless fact #153: There are 51 lego blocks for every person in the world.

The Final Word

There are notes attached to the Rules to cover "interpretation".
For Australia:
Ball with a Balance Hole and an unsed thumb hole is ok currently provided the hand/thumb covers the thumb hole.

However, when/If we align with WTBA rules the situation will be different and most likely a no thumb bowler won't be able to have more than fingerholes plus a balance hole. The 1 ounce rule will comme into play with the grip centre deemed to be between the finger holes.

Because of the wording of the rules, unused gripping holes, either thumb or fingers will become illegal. Only mention this because at Melbourne Cup I saw a bowler with thumb and four figerholes. She used all of them at times but only two I think when she played for some spares. I suppose this would also be illegal.

When Steve Neff visited Australia around 1980 (Yes I am ancient) he would leave out the ring finger to shoot for the 10 pin. This would also be suss under the current WTBA rules. Curious huh?

Sumo,
Which rule book is your info from, and what year? The rule I quoted is from the TBAs' own rule book, last year. If it from an American ABC rulebook, or from an older ATBC one then I would imagine the new rule is already in force.

Cheers.

Useless Fact #15 - a ducks' quack does not echo.

Yes well in all fairness your post never actually mentioned the Nationality of the duck concerned.
And anyway the the African duck is a first cousin to the European duck so your argument is hardly valid.
I do however take your point about the lunatics, I know about them I bowl on Friday nights.

Back
Top Bottom