Ball Drilling for Bowling Two Handed

B

Bozza351

What type of layouts can be used when drilling a ball that has no thumb hole? Currently, I am using a ball that has a thumb hole drilled, with my palm placed over the hole. Does it give you any advantage in drilling the ball that has no thumb hole?

There would be a couple of issues with not having a thumb hole drilled. Firstly legality, with most bowling authorities i believe you would need the thumb hole drilled (you would have to check this out with the association you belong to), although you would be able to get away with shortening the span somewhat if you have problems rolling the ball over the thumb hole. Secondly, you would have have problems with making the ball legal in regards to thumb weight being over 1 oz.

Regards,
Peter Biggs
The 11th Frame.

Yes it is legal to drill a ball without a thumb hole. Below shows the rules specified by TBA:

The following tolerances will be permissible in the balance of a bowling ball used in accredited competition: Refer to
Rule 127 for the penalty for bowling with a ball that is found to be illegal.
1. 10 pounds or more:
(a) Not more than three (3) ounces difference between top half of the ball (finger hole side) and the bottom
half (side opposite the finger holes).
(b) Not more than one (1) ounce difference between the sides to the right and left of the finger holes or
between the sides in front and back of the finger holes.
(c) A ball drilled without a thumb hole may not have more than one (1) ounce difference between any two
halves of the ball.
(d) A ball drilled without any finger holes or indentations may not have more than one (1) ounce difference
between any two halves of the ball.
(e) A ball used without any hole or indentations may not have more than one (1) ounce difference between
any two halves of the ball.

Thanks for the info.. Last time this issue was raised i was under the impression the third hole still had to be drilled... In that case it would just be a simple matter of what desired reaction you require (i would assume length and an angular backend) which, depending on the ball, keeping the weight block tall would achieve this. You would also have to make sure that the top weight was a low figure and that the cg was kept close to the finger holes.

Hope this helps...

Regards
Peter Biggs
The 11th Frame

When you are referring to a 'low' topweighted ball, as long as the amount is around 3oz or less, there should be no problem.

with regards to drilling the fingers close to the CG, it doesnt have to be if the fingers are not drilled deep. a little closer yes, but not to the point that you have to drill out the CG.

Moral to the story? Stick a bloody thumb hole in the ball anyways, even if its a small one, and position it so that it is covered by the palm while being delivered. It saves alot of hassles and opens up more drilling options to go with.

Cheers!

From what i heard u can not have more then 1 ounce top weight with a ball that has only 2 fingers but if u have one with a thumb whole it can't be more then 3 ounce top or something along those lines.
Chris hope that helps

I Bowl Two Handed, and I drill bowling balls.

If you would like information, it would be easiest to send me a PM or Email me so as not to get confused with differing opinions. I can help you with any query you have.

Cheers,

Tim Reichel.

Is it not a rule that if the thumb hole is drilled it must be used?? I have heard this before but it is mere hearsay.

if a thumb hole is drilled and NOT being used it must be covered by the palm of the hand of delivery.

after 31st july 2006 a third hole (thumb) must be drilled into the ball but doesn't have to be used. Thats what i'v heard, had this argument at ECCC this year.

Nighteyes300 said:
if a thumb hole is drilled and NOT being used it must be covered by the palm of the hand of delivery.

Correct me if im wrong...

Only if the ball has a balance hole. If the ball doesnt have a balance hole, the thumb is deemed a balance hole if not covered.

as per TBA rule book

RULE 603 DRILLING SPECIFICATIONS
Holes
The following limitations will govern the drilling of holes in the ball:
1. Holes or indentations, not to exceed five (5), for gripping purposes.
2. One hole for balance purposes not to exceed 1 1/4 inch in diameter.
3. No more than one (1) vent hole to each finger and/or thumb hole not to exceed 1/4 inch in diameter.
4. One mill hole for inspection purposes not to exceed 5/8 inch in diameter and 1/8 inch in depth.
Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole. However, when delivering a ball that
has a thumb hole drilled, the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumb hole. It may not be 180 degrees away
from the thumb hole. If a bowler delivers a ball and did not have his/her thumb as defined, the ball will be deemed
illegal for that delivery and pins knocked down with that delivery will not be counted.

So yeah i guess you're right but still has to be covered

ring TBA and get them to explain their interpretation of the rule?

i wouldnt take anyone's word for it unless they were a lawyer - legal terminology is much confusing and technical

what is so difficult?

You do not require a thumb hole to be drilled.

If you have a thumb hole drilled you must use the hole or cover said hole during delivery.

If you do not do the above the hole is counted as an extra balance hole and is deemed illegal as per rules stating only 1 balance hole is allowed.

Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole therefore if the thumb hole includes a thumb slug then it is deemed to be for gripping purposes and therefore can not be deemed a balance hole.

So you must place your thumb in or over the thumb hole and therefore covering a thumb hole with your palm will not be legal.

rubbish. You didnt include the rest of the rule in that statement and you certainly didnt comprehend what it was saying. Look above.

4. One mill hole for inspection purposes not to exceed 5/8 inch in diameter and 1/8 inch in depth.
Any hole drilled for gripping purposes will not be deemed to be a balance hole. However, when delivering a ball that
has a thumb hole drilled
, the player must have his/her thumb in or over the thumb hole.

If you dont it is classed as a balance hole because the hole isnt in use or isnt covered during the delivery, that is what makes it illegal. The hole is no longer a hole used for gripping purposes because it isnt used, covering your thumb hole with your palm is perfectly legal.

I am both a no thumb bowler and a ball driller.
I have also checked this situation with TBA face to face and am up to speed on all these rules.
If you drill a thumb hole, weigh the ball as usual (that is the important issue) to check legality,(i.e. 3oz top 1oz side/finger weight) then that is the time when the thumb must be covered by the palm.
If you want to bowl with no thumb hole, but with a balance hole 180 degrees away then the ball must be reweighed with the centre of grip in the middle of the bridge, using the 1 oz. top/side/finger weight restrictions. This is a lot harder to set up.
As an experiment, I drilled up a ball with three finger holes and no thumb, carefully manipulating the weights to come out close to zero/zero/zero weights.
The centre hole was drilled to the size of my middle finger and both the other holes fitted my ring finger, so I could bowl pin above fingers or pin below fingers with the same ball. Got quite different reactions but it was taxing to remember which way you were bowling, pin above or pin below.
Anyone wanting detailed clarification, can PM me.
I agree with comments above that drilling a thumb hole opens up more layout possibilities.
Sumo

Back
Top Bottom