Thumb Hole???

dazgore

How snug should the thumb hole be?
I have heard that you should be able to pick the ball up by the thumb only...
I know it is best to drill slightly bigger, and then pack with tape as thumb shrinks and take tape out as swells.

Should you be able to turn your thumb in the hole, feeling contact with the ball as you turn. Or should the ball be tight?

What is the "norm"

Thank you
Daz

I believe that if your thumb fits comfortably and you are able to move ur thumb in the ball and able to pick the ball up with ur thumb, then the thumb hole is perfect. I dont normally need to put tape in my ball coz my thumb does change size for some unknown reason.

Well i hope that helps
Later

thumb holes should be snug front and back and a feather touch on the sides. The use of tape is good to allowing for heat/humidty changes. Thumb holes should be a reflection on the shape of your thumb as well, hence why thumb holes should be oval shape and at about 30 degrees.

Thanks guys,

I think i will put a piece of white in the front, and maybe a couple of black on the knuckle side.
When i got my ball from NZ, i ripped the tape out, thinking i would need to have the ball re-drilled, as it has been 12 years, and i was only 19 at the time, so must have grown somewhat...
The hole is oval, and a feather touch on the sides, and slightly loose from front / back. If i pack the pad side, this will lengthen my span a smidge, would be good for any growth i may have had, although with my thumb in the ball, and laying my fingers over the holes, the creases fall smack bang in the centre.

Daz

Thumb Hole

The expert ball driller is the masters of ball fit - each hand presents a challenge coupled with the natural action of the bowlers release.

Ron Hoppe drilled equipment in Qld and also ran a workshop seminar on ball drilling and bowling topics - I attended one of these. I found Ron to be very knowledgeable and one of his philosophies (correct me if I am wrong Ron) is 'the most important factor of ball fit is the span'. This would obviously affect the thumb fit and the release if the span is not correct. This is the starting point. Rob also shared information that there are three different stages in a bowlers career that determine how a ball driller will eventually drill for a bowler. From an easy generous size thumb for the new bowler (whose release will be inconsistent) to the different degrees of snug fit for the higher repetitive skills of the high average tournament bowler.

The pitches are determined with reference to the span and also several other factors such as the moisture content of the hand - a naturally clammy hand will cause the thumb to exit slower than a dry hand from the ball. If your hand swells and shrinks - the tape in and tape out system is highly effective. You can use tape behind your finger inserts to make them more snug also.

I found Rons information to be well informed and also I found him to be very easy to talk to at all times. Sit down and discuss your hand with the ball driller and keep going back until you and he have between you found the 'fit' for you.

I attend all ball drilling seminars I can and also all coach education forums that I can afford both financially and time wise - I learn a lot from members of teams that I am priveledged to be with. Most of us learn from trial and error - noone gets it right the first time - keep networking until you get the information that works for you personally.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes
Gail

Back
Top Bottom