Old bowling alley

D

Dominique Hurley

I am making a short film that is set in a tenpin bowling alley in the early 1980s. I was wondering if anyone knows of either an operational or disused bowling alley in Tasmania that might suit. I know its a long shot but maybe there is a little gem out there that someone might know about.
Thanks

Hi Dominique

Seeing no one else has replied, just thought I would let you know that there has only ever been five centres in the State, and we currently only have three which are operational (Launceston, Devonport and Moonah).

The other two were at Mornington and Burnie. The centre at Mornington closed a long time ago (some one else may be able to provide the date) and last I knew, the old building was being used as a warehouse or something so it has no remnants of it's previous life.

Burnie closed a lot more recently but I believe most (if not all) of the equipment in there has also long gone.

So I guess your only options is picking which out of the three remaining operational centres has the most "80's feel" to it. And I think it's safer for me not to comment on that one. :D

Good luck with your film.

K-C said:
The centre at Mornington closed a long time ago (some one else may be able to provide the date) and last I knew, the old building was being used as a warehouse or something so it has no remnants of it's previous life.
Centre: Mornington Tenpin
Address: 400 Cambridge Road, Mornington TAS 7018.
Telephone: (002) 445244
No. Lanes: 24 (1984-1990), 16 (1990-1992).
Opened: December 23rd 1984.
Closed: August 31st 1992.
Other Names: Eastern Shore Family Bowl, Mornington Bowl.

Now used as City Gate Christian Convention Centre (basically Hobart's answer to Hillsong), it's that violet coloured building to your right when your on the highway going through Mornington/Warrane towards the airport that's just up from Scobies Storage, Dominique.
I had a quick look in there, probably about 4-5 years ago now, bares no resemblance to the old centre though.

K-C said:
So I guess your only options is picking which out of the three remaining operational centres has the most "80's feel" to it. And I think it's safer for me not to comment on that one. :D
Go onnnnnnnn!! You know you want too! :p

Hey Dominique

I dont know so much about tassie. But I reckon there are some older looking alleys around. Geraldton would be a good choice - the lanes and pinsetters are very much an 80s style

Back
Top Bottom