Staff bowled over as Milton farewells alley

Jase

Admin
Staff member
Some went to bowl, some went to see live music, and some went to work.

But Milton Bowl patrons and employees today say goodbye to the tenpin bowling alley for the last time, with the venue closing its doors after 45 years.

The alley, which opened in 1962, was sold in February and while a buyer has not been confirmed, the site is expected to be redeveloped for housing.

Manager Silvio Greco said the alley was offering free games to every player for its final day.

"We've had a lot of great responses and comments and feedback," he said.

"People have come in to tell us stories of meeting their wives here.

"One woman came all the way from Melbourne to have a last drink in the Alley Bar."

Mr Greco said almost every one of his 30 staff had stayed on until the final day.

"There were tears yesterday among a lot of the staff," he said.

Milton Bowl's Alley Bar, well-known among local musicians and live music fans, will be missed, he said.

"The bar's legacy will be that it gave local bands the chance to play live, when they might not have had that chance anywhere else."

An on-site auction on April 8 will sell almost everything - from balls and shoes to pool tables and alleys.

Three-year-old Caerwyn Baker and brother Kynan, two, were trying their hand at tenpin bowling for the first time this morning.

Parents Andrew and Melissa said they were shocked to hear the alley was closing.

"I've lived in the area all my life and (Milton Bowl) used to be the place for the local kids to come," Andrew said.

"Our daughter works here. We were a bit shocked when we heard it was closing.

"It's sad, it's the end of an era."

Part-time staff member Melanie Hansen said Milton Bowl employees had been "like a family" and were in denial when they heard it would close.

"It's been a fun place to work," she said.

"Everyone stayed until the end. But a lot of the full-time staff have jobs lined up at other bowling alleys."

Milton Bowl is at 2 Frew Street, Milton. It is believed the land will be combined with the nearby site of the former Milton Tennis Centre and redeveloped for housing.

Andrew and Melissa Baker brought sons Caerwyn, 3, and Kynan, 2, to try their hand at tenpin bowling for the first time yesterday morning...

1205795451.jpg

Its a sad day when A bowling alley has stood for 45yrs and then closes its doors.

mind you i fear it will happen accross the board as bowling is a great sport but there seems to be no push for leagues anymore, its all about the money aspect

Can I tell you that yesterday was a funny day for me as I walked out of the bowl for the last time ever it was a really really empty feeling inside as my family have been part of milton bowl since day 1 and I started bowling there when I was 7 and started working there when I was 13 it will be wired to drive along Milton rd and see it standing there knowing there is nothing inside

R.I.P Milton Bowl

Yes Scott yesterday did feel weird as i was introduced to league bowling there 25yrs ago and also worked there for a while as a pin monkey (hehehehe) . Just had to be there for one more roll to say goodbye ( and get myself on TV as well ) . Goodbye Milton Bowl and good luck to all who worked and bowled there .

Myself went to the old Milton Bowl last Monday mid-afternoon time...I felt empty to be very sad in sorrow that it is last day of the Milton Bowl before destoying the building later...Myself used bowled started 1988 until 2000 with a league is part of a original brunswick style area (I love a beautiful original blue style).
Anyway, myself is lucky put lots of digital camera photos inside a old MILTON BOWL last monday.

Deaf lefty.

Hmm i wonder where the lanes are headed, ive heard a rumour or 2 but ill leave it at that until someone can confirm it!!

You will probably see them in a centre near you in the near future .

Back
Top Bottom