Official: Bowling NOT in 2008 Olympics

GeorgeF

Hypercell = Hyperhook!
Here's for some interesting reading that I found on the FIQ website, a shame..................

COLORADO SPRINGS, CO., September 12, 2002 … Following an extensive review and discussions with many bowling and international federation colleagues, I believe it is time to comment on the recently announced decision of the International Olympic Committee that its Executive Board has decided “not to admit” Bowling to the 2008 Olympic Programme.

Words are inadequate to express the profound disappointment we all share. However, the dismay that accompanies what has been a long, difficult, and frustrating struggle is compounded by the fact that I am unable to identify specific reasons for our rejection.
By any fair standard, bowling belongs in the Olympic Games. I would like to see the IOC start from scratch and draw up a list of the world’s most popular sports, the sports most likely to generate medal winners from all parts of the world, sports that are gender equal and cost efficient in terms of capital expense, sports that are not subject to judging or doping controversy, sports that are safe and appeal to youth. If they did, bowling would be close to the top of the list.

The only official reasons for rejection I have received from the IOC that might be considered responsive to the question, WHY, are as follows:

“…because the Olympic Games cannot grow anymore and their size must be controlled if we want them to succeed in the future.”

“Statistics reviewed on federation affiliation, nations competing in major events and broadcast and press coverage of major events for most rejected sports did not indicate a higher level of global participation and interest than sports currently in the Programme, and therefore could not be considered to bring additional value.”

I note with great interest that the reference in the foregoing quote was to “most rejected sports.” With 126 federations, more than 60 nations competing in our world championships and as many as 90 nations competing some major events, I find it difficult to believe our sport is considered deficient in these categories. Surely it is also difficult to believe one hundred million participants does not constitute sufficient “interest” when compared to other sports on the Programme.

Does this leave us with the conclusion we are deficient in the broadcast and press coverage category? For now, I don’t know, but I will do my utmost to get an answer..

At this point, we seem to be positioned like one of our athletes who is confronted with a 7-10 split in the tenth frame of the final championship game, where the spare must be converted to win the gold medal. If the IOC Executive Board does not reverse its decision, or the members of the IOC do not override its decision at the November 28-29, 2002 Session, Bowling will not take its proper place among the sports competing for Olympic gold in 2008.

While the odds against that are formidable, I will offer this observation. During my 47 years as a competitive bowler, I have converted the 7-10 split three times. I guess that’s my way of saying we cannot and will not give up despite the long odds against us.

However, returning to practicalities, we must remember and acknowledge that we are one of 14 sports which have been denied, to say nothing of sports currently on the Programme that have been recommended for removal. By its very nature, and the rules set forth by IOC President, Dr. Jacques Rogge (that no new sport will be admitted without a vote to dismiss an incumbent sport), this is a competitive process.

During my mandate as FIQ President, I have carefully avoided negative comments or criticism of any other sport aspiring to, or holding, Olympic status. I have done so not only because it is right, but also because it represents the highest standards of fair play. I will continue to do so.

But I also have a responsibility to the sport we all love. In that sense I do not have enough specific information to analyze the judgment of the IOC Programme Commission and Executive Board that we do not compare favorably. In this regard, I must note that I was told a set of objective criteria would be applied in evaluating the 2008 Olympic Programme. Specifically, I was told this would be an “apples to apples” comparison, which would be 99% objective.

Has that happened? I don’t know. I simply do not have enough specific information to form a valid opinion. So my next step will be to seek the necessary answers and report my findings as soon as possible.

Meanwhile, I have total respect and empathy for IOC President Rogge’s assessment of the need to keep the Olympic Games within certain limits and for his colleagues to go through the painful and difficult process of evaluating certain sports for dismissal, as well as others for inclusion.

Therefore, I fervently hope that the IOC will keep the door open for Bowling, and will oversee a fair and objective analysis of where we stand today.

Respectfully submitted,

Gerald L. Koenig, President
Fédération Internationale des Quilleurs

Bowling in the Olympics

I know Gerry Koenig well and would have to say that no single person in our Industry worldwide has tried harder to convince the IOC of Bowling's validity to gain Olympic medal status. My own view is that until such time as we, as an Industry worldwide can gain 'prime-time' TV coverage of International Events, until the worldwide electronic media clamour for rights to air bowling Tournaments Internationally (much as happens in Cricket, Golf and Soccer ....and darts), until we can display bowling as a spectator sport (as much as a participant sport) we stand little to no chance of ever achieving Olympic status. The Olympics is all about the dollars that can be earned out of TV. TV is all about ratings (that's how they gain advertising dollars) - without therefore an International TV presence which translates to spectator interest...what hope do we have? Sure we are a significant participant sport but other than participants howmany of the public turn up to watch (FOR FREE MIND YOU) our prestige tournaments?
Having enjoyed the privilege of sponsoring Cara Honeychurch (who must surely be one of Australia's greatest ever female bowlers with all the right attributes - successful, articulate, sexy and such an inspiring talented sportsperson) we endured hearbreak after heartbreak in trying to have her featured on a legitimate Sports Programme - the sad truth is that the media just don't want to know. We must, however, never never stop trying!

I believe we have 3 major stumbling blocks to our acceptance into the Olympic Program and while these are notmade public as such, i have heard "on the grapevine" that they are pivotal to our exclusion.

1. Technology of Equipment

It is a held belief that the degree of skill required by the bowler is less now than it was in the past as a result of the manner that bowling ball/pin/lane/conditioning technology has leapt ahead exponentially. As a result, so has the scoring environment. It is an ongoing opinion that the sport has lost credibility and that the competitors skill level is not as much of a factor. Consider another sport that can not gain Olympic inclusion, that being golf. Again, technology has been considered as too much of an influence on the scoring environment. Given golfs ability to gain media coverage compared to bowling, if golf can't get in, then we have no hope.

2. The "Luck" Factor

There is no denying that this factor plays too much of a part in our sport to be palatable to the Olympic boffins. How often do you see a brooklyn strike beat a pocket tap (I've been on both ends of THAT spectrum). That in itself harms our credibility.

3. The "Beer Swilling Slob" Image

Enough said. We all know how the rest of the world views our sport. All things considered, I guess that will preclude darts as well.

4. The Industry........

Bowling is looked upon as an enterprise first, a recreation second and a long last, a sport. While the "Olympic Ideal" promoting pure sport obviously no longer applies in nearly every current olympic sport, our sport suffers by comparison as it is overtly primarily a money making enterprise. I am not saying other sports are not profit making enterprises, they are just not as up front about it.

Well there you have it. If the grapevine is even partly correct, then we have more than an uphill battle. We are up that well known creek, in the well known barbed wire canoe, without the equally well known paddle.

I hope I am wrong, but I truly doubt we will see bowling in the olympics as a full medal sport in my lifetime.

Brenton you left out the other one that goes with beer drinking

Smoking

Allen J

Back
Top Bottom