IOC ANNOUNCEMENT RE NEW SPORTS

S

steve_jones

It appears all debate on bowling's ability to be admitted or not to some future Olympic Games as a full medal sport [at least to 2012] is now just so much hot air. I am in receipt of a memo from the IOC Programme Commission stating [in part] as follows..............

"May I offer my sincere congratulations on being slected for the process of determining whether or not you would qualify and be included in the next program in 2012.

I would like to mention that, although you may have been approved by the IOC Executive Board this does not mena that you will be in the 2012 Games. But you could be considered if there should be a change in the existing program and the possibility of one or more sports being removed from the program.

The ongoing process that took place in Athens will continue after each Olympic Games and so we may see a change in 2012, 2016 and going forward."

The above is from correspondence signed by Ron Froehlich President of ARISF and was sent on September 22 to the Presidents of the following sports..........

Golf, Rugby, Squash, Karate and Roller Sports.

Of course all the above could be irrelevant in any event given the IOC presently limits participation to 28 sports, 300 events and 10,500 athletes.

Sad but true.

Steve Jones.

I found this Today!!!

The International Olympic Committee said Wednesday it notified those five sports' governing bodies that they will be "studied further" as part of a review of the Summer Games' competition schedule.

The IOC is assessing the 28 sports o­n the program of last month's Athens Olympics to determine whether changes should be made.

The list of sports will remain the same for the 2008 Beijing Games, with any modifications taking effect in 2012. The IOC will decide o­n the sports program - and select the 2012 host city - at its session in Singapore in July.

IOC president Jacques Rogge repeatedly has said that sports o­nly will be added if others are dropped. The maximum will stay at 28 sports, with around 10,500 athletes.

In Athens, the IOC formally accepted the criteria for judging which sports should be o­n the program.

Among the key points are global participation, spectator attendance, media interest, the sport's anti-doping policies, and whether the sport features the world's best athletes in the Olympics.

Removal of a sport requires a vote of the full IOC membership. The last sport dropped from the Summer Olympics was polo in 1936.

In 2002, Rogge proposed that baseball, softball and modern pentathlon be dropped from the games, and golf and rugby added. But IOC members resisted and put off any vote until after Athens.

The IOC this week sent out a 33-point questionnaire to all 28 Olympic sports federations. The form also went to golf, rugby, squash, karate and roller sports, which are among the 28 "recognized" federations not o­n the Olympic program.

The move rules out Olympic status for hopefuls such as bowling, water skiing, billiards, ballroom dancing, chess, bridge and surfing.

Golf and rugby have been top contenders for Olympic inclusion for a number of years. Karate is seeking to become the latest martial art in the games, which already has judo and taekwondo. Roller sports covers five disciplines - artistic, downhill, hockey, inline hockey and speed events. Squash would add another racket sport, joining tennis, table tennis and badminton.

"We have fought for 20 years to achieve our dream of being o­n the Olympic program, in the sure knowledge that every top squash player would rank an Olympic medal as the greatest prize in the sport," World Squash Federation president emeritus Susie Simcock said in a statement.

"This review by the IOC is wonderful news for squash as we are now able to present our case for inclusion alongside the current Olympic sports and other major sports bidding for a place."

So in other words, no matter how hard we try to get bowling included, it wont happen because the IOC want squash, golf, rugby, roller sports and karate as olympic sports? Karate I could see as an olympic sport (they have Tae Kwon Doe and Judo) and I can see rugby, and possibly golf but squah and roller sports? Inline Hockey? The people that play Inline Hockey are kids who want to one day play Ice Hockey, and thats in the winter olympics. And Squash was big in the 70's, I havent seen or heard much of it lately.

They are looking for spectator appeal, bowling has a high spectator appeal, just look at the PBA, or the World Masters etc. Oh and bowling has been around since 5000 B.C (well a form of it anyways)

I guess Tenpin Bowling is fighting a losing war with the IOC.

Out of the 28 sports currently listed as "Olympic" sports, how many are worth watching :?: :?: :?:

They should just put the 25 sports with the highest participation rates into the Olympics. That would more than likely attract better crowds and public interest.

I mean, who really remembers the gold medallist in the 3 day equestrian event or who won the ribbon section of the rhythmic gymnastics from this years Olympics, let alone from past Games :?: :!:

Hardly any of the 28 sports are worth watching. Bowling is huge in the world. If you want to put sports like roller hockey in the Olympics, than that's one of the stupidest things I've eva heard. :? :x

Luke D said:
Out of the 28 sports currently listed as "Olympic" sports, how many are worth watching :?: :?: :?:
In my opinion Luke - None.
That is why in the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, I watched a total of ZERO (0) minutes of television coverage for the event.

That's how much I care about the Olympics, put some decent sports in and I might watch one.

Luke D said:
I mean, who really remembers the gold medallist in the 3 day equestrian event or who won the ribbon section of the rhythmic gymnastics from this years Olympics, let alone from past Games :?: :!:

Firstly in answering you question...........The people that did win the event, and their family and frineds and those that actually follow those sports care about the "Olympic" medal they won!!!!!!! Dont take that away from them !!!!!

We all have a bias look at bowling, of course im the first guy to say i want bowling in the Olympics, but im also the first guy to show respect for the other sports that are already in there and to its competitors.
No matter what sport it is, to win a medal shows you are the top 3 in the world, and like myself, there is no doubt those competitors have trained their whole life to win that medal.

Like you say, some sports are boring, but dont forget the games were around long before TV, well before any of us could just change channel and watch a different event (its not all about TV ratings). I think you will find most of the sports have a lot of history in the games, be a little unfair to them to just throw out the ones we dont like watching?????

To remind you all, i want bowling to be apart of the 'games' more than anyone, but lets try and talk, without having a go at the other sports involved.
Because i know that everytime my friends take a shot at bowling, i usually get up swinging :)

Jason Belmonte

I'd have to agree with what Belmo says. Why exclude any sport?
I still find it amazing that the games are crammed into the short time space of a few days. Considering their popularity world-wide it would make more sense to extend both the number of events and the time frame.
And if that not to everyones liking, there is always the option of the off switch.

I mostly agree with Belmo and Andrew, but with one proviso - an Olympic medal should be the highlight of a career, and any sport where the Olympics don't represent the pinnacle of achievement should not, IMHO, be there. This is one of the reasons the soccer tourney went to the under 23 rules, not sure if it still is. Tennis is the obvious example, where most of the top men went to the Masters tournament (not even a Grand Slam) but, if it gets in, Rugby would be the same - they have the World Cup, which will always be the one they really want to win.

Belmo is right who cares what sport it is u don't see people bragging about it when they win an olympic medal shit it's my dream to make an olympic team. In any sport i might not have the best chance at bowling but another sport i have represented australia is in the olympics. And to represent ur country is a big thing in the olympics or the world championships or the Commonwealth Games. I can see bowling in the olympics and would be good to watch. More 2 come from Me on this subject

Laterz
Castle

Rugby shouldnt be included because there is only a limited amount of good teams in the world. it wouldnt be interesting to watch.

hmmm, what about Fishing? its a sport :p

Back
Top Bottom