Now this is a great idea.

Shaun24

PBA have announced a Plastic Ball tournament in the comming 08-09 season!

"Feb. 22: PBA Plastic Ball Championship.
Site: Brunswick Zone Wheat Ridge, Wheat Ridge, CO.
Tournament Dates: Feb. 18-22
Field: Exempt PBA Tour plus TQR (64). (TQR competed on with standard equipment rules).
Notable: Results will not count for PBA point standings list. However it will count as an official title, with the winner earning a berth into the Tournament of Champions, and earning a one season exemption.
Purse: $180,000 Winner’s share: $25,000
Extreme Swing: Week 2 of 5
This intriguing format limits each pro to two identical, plastic bowling balls to be provided by the PBA. Why? One reason is simple – to see who wins. Similar to auto racing’s IROC race, this event puts every player on the same level in terms of equipment. Now it’s all up to the bowler. Bowling as a sport has made huge advancements with equipment technology. This event helps educate fans on the modern technology of the game. While only the plastic balls will appear on TV in action, each of the finalists will explain what modern ball they “would” have been using all week, and describe the differences in the modern resin balls to the plastic they were required to use this week. A full feature on bowling ball technology will air during the show.
Equipment note: Players will be provided two black plastic balls each on site with only the PBA 50th Anniversary logo. The balls will stay in the bowling center throughout the event; players picking them up to begin play each day. Each exempt player will be provided one of the balls at the start of the season to practice with if they choose.
Qualifying format: 14 games; cut to top 32 for single elimination (best-of-7) match play to final four.
TV format: Two semifinal matches, followed by the final.
Lane oil pattern: Cheetah"

Few other changes are the combination of the "name patterns" in a single tournament, EG. Shark Pattern on all even lanes and Cheetah pattern on all odd lanes. Looking to be a great 08-09 season in the PBA.

It would be awesome to actually see the qualifying in this event as it will certainly show us who of the newer PBA members can actually bowl. It will also show all how good the legends like (Walter Ray, Norm Duke etc all are).

This will certainly show all who watch the PBA the difference technology makes to scoring ability.

Definately looking forward to this one.

Oh, what a great idea. Can someone put one on here?

All it needs to complete the picture to show up the best BOWLER, is for them all to be drilled straight over the weight block.

Just the same, be prepared to see some big movements from some of to-days releases, and some big scores.

There were many big scores and averages with rubber and plastic in the 60s.

think we might see plastics with balance holes in them

From how i read it, they are all governed, so i don't think they can have balance holes. It's seems as though it is similar to the arrive and drive they have in motor racing. Will be interesting to see how it is done.

who does the drilling if they are not picked up until the tournament? or are they all drilled that morning?

Good idea though for something about out of left field in todays game.

Oh, what a great idea. Can someone put one on here?

I remember trying to organise a plastic ball tournament whilst I worked at Northcote down here in Victoria and had to cancel the event due to lack of entries.
There was plenty of people who said it sounded like a great idea but very few who actually wanted to bowl such an event once it had been organised.
If there were enough seriously interested people to get one off the ground then i'm sure it would be a great tournament.

Yeah they are too scared to bowl with their plastic ball 8 10 splits for righties 7 9 splits for lefties would abound lol.I shot 560 for 2 games with my white dot once so bring it on lol.

Back
Top Bottom