NOW THERES A SHOCK

Should Nationals go back on rotation basis

• Yes

Votes: 31 86.1%
  • No

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey Rob, That's why I love the ATBSO Nationals....different state every year on rotation. Just like it use to be with the TBA nationals...more enjoyable!

and they wonder why Rachuig is dying a slow death. Same states spending $2,000+ to go to the same city for a week year after year after year.

and they wonder why Rachuig is dying a slow death. Same states spending $2,000+ to go to the same city for a week year after year after year.
Chin you are so right, entries getting less & less. NSW could not fill their teams had to have draft & it is in their home state. How sad is the future of tenpin bowling. Dockers.

What about the removal of the super six tournaments? For the funds to be put into one big tournament? That lasted how long?

This is gut-wrenchingly terrible for someone like me, who saw the " boom days ". There can't be that many of us left. I'm actually pleased that so many of you can only see the result of administration over flair and imagination, and don't have to live through the terrible experience, of watching a success story grabbing the public's attention, with sponsorship to match, degenerating gradularly to 'entertainment', played with trick balls on 'doctored' surfaces. Let's just turn it into a video game, and finish it off properly.

Last edited:

The eagerly awaited news regarding the venue for the 2015 Adult National Championship and Australian Masters was released by Tenpin Bowling Australia’s CEO, Cara Honeychurch today.

Tenpin City in Lidcombe has won the bid to host the event following an exhaustive appraisal of options by the Tenpin Bowling Australia Board. It will be the second time that the Centre has hosted the Adult Championship.

Looks like there was more than 1 option. As usual the options arent made public

Last edited:
My vote is to be on a rotational basis due to the fact i enjoy travelling around Australia to compete and it would be fairer to all the bowlers.

But in saying that, only putting the tender out in one state or territory each year could quite possibly not get the best price for the event compared to sending it out to all centre's Australia wide. So it seems Tenpin city had the best price for 2015 and that is all the TBA are basing it on? not sure.

Now that a venue has been chosen though, why not send out a tender to all nearby hotels/serviced apartment buildings capable of accommodating everyone travelling to the nationals. Sounds like a nightmare to organise but would be simple if the chosen hotel/apartment complex agreed on a certain room rates for when each state's manager called up to book. Just mention TBA 2015 nationals when booking or something like that.

This is all food for thought as 2015 will only be my 3rd year at the nationals meaning that i missed out on the "Boom days" as worded above.

I'm happy to be corrected and/or have other opinions thrown at me in regards to this topic. ( Is that rare as a bowler? lol )

Rick

I agree with you Rick regarding accommodation. It would be great if we could have a chosen hotel and then get a discount rate.

I guess it is hard to have a rotational basis when only a few centres put in due to a lot of centres not wanting to hold it. Would be very interesting to see who put in for it.

Exactly... you can only choose from centres that put their hand up. I think before anyone goes off about NSW getting it again it would help to understand who threw their hat in the ring.

Year, Entry's, State

2013 1811 QLD
2012 3263 NSW
2011 3061 NSW
2010 2822 NSW
2009 1843 QLD
2008 1911 ACT
2007 1605 VIC
2006 2311 TAS
2005 2340 NSW
2004 2101 VIC
2003 2131 QLD

At $9.00 tournament expense per entry it certainly makes sense if your decision is revenue based.

"In the old days" we always knew 2-3 years in advance where nationals were going to be held.

Surely it cant be that hard to have a venue picked 18 months in advance instead of 6 months before the event. With everyone complaining 1 of the main reasons for not bowling is finacial reasons it would give states plenty time to organize decent priced accommodation and airfares.

Last edited:
EVERYTHING is revenue based. Not just for bowling. Based on those figures you provided entries nearly halved from 2012 to 2013.

When half of the topics in total bowling are about declining participation it makes sense to have it where entries will be high. Atleast for now.

Don't get me wrong I know it's hard for people to always have to travel but I doubt being "fair" is something they consider when choosing.

Presuming it is still scheduled for October 10 months notice is acceptable in my opinion.

just a thought !what centres would stop their day time leagues for a period of approx 5 weeks (2 weeks school holidays and approx 3 weeks championships) thats a long break could be one reason why centers are reluctant to quote for Nationals.

Is there a breakdown of the total numbers into each Grade, available ? How many C grade, B Grade etc
My perception is, the 99% of TBA members who are lower grade players, do not compete at the only competition their National Body actually organizes.
With 10 months advanced notice, why don't TBA have people on the ground in Sydney, visiting every Centre leading up to the date to promote entries in the lower grades where the bulk of members are eligible ?

Year, Entry's, State

2013 1811 QLD
2012 3263 NSW
2011 3061 NSW
2010 2822 NSW
2009 1843 QLD
2008 1911 ACT
2007 1605 VIC
2006 2311 TAS
2005 2340 NSW
2004 2101 VIC
2003 2131 QLD

At $9.00 tournament expense per entry it certainly makes sense if your decision is revenue based.

"In the old days" we always knew 2-3 years in advance where nationals were going to be held.

Surely it cant be that hard to have a venue picked 18 months in advance instead of 6 months before the event. With everyone complaining 1 of the main reasons for not bowling is finacial reasons it would give states plenty time to organize decent priced accommodation and airfares.

While these number are interesting, they leave out one critical point, the point that shows the trues value of the nationals.

Remove the repeat attempts from that list and show only one singles, one double and one teams event for each bowler and now how many entries are left.

What are the raw numbers of individuals that compete. I think the numbers will be more a true reflection of the state of bowling and how important the nationals really are!!

Hey ya go, John: http://tenpin.org.au/fileadmin/user...nual_Reports/2013_TBA_Annual_report_final.pdf
About half way down, just before the financials.
2014 there were 290 all events entries plus 97 seniors, some of whom were double-ups with the adults.

Of the adults, there were 6 C and one D grade female entries, and 18 B & 8 C grade male entries. None in D grade.

There has to be several thousand B,C & D Grade bowlers living within 2hrs drive of the Nationals venue.
If TBA are serious, this is where the turn-around should begin, at the base level where the majority of their members exist.
What an embarrassing show of no support for our sport.
Absolutely needs to be THE top priority for the Sport's Administrators to fix this.
TBA seem to think they can do absolutely nothing and continue to justify their existence. Just not on as far as I'm concerned. Most people didnt even know the Nationals were on (except the regular tournament bowlers who would compete even if TBA didnt exist anyhow)

Back
Top Bottom