NEWCASTLE CUP 2009

Good lord I can't believe how many divas are going around calling themselves bowlers these days. What ever happened to bowling because you love the game? This is the reason why a lot of tournaments have or will be cancelled or disappear altogether. There are no guarantees in life but some of you believe that if you bowl you should have some sort of guarantee that you will have a monetary reward otherwise you won't bowl, unless your professional this won't happen. Bowl, enjoy the sport, meet and have FUN with those you know and get on with life.

we bowl because we love the game, however what you must also see is that people will often travel great distances to bowl a tournament, i use george as an example in this case coming down to newcastle for this event. now if you are travelling such distances it has to be said that you would expect to know what your playing for and is it going to be worth your while? why fork out money for accomodation travel food bowling etc when you may not recoup this money? This is growing even more important now with the tough economic times we are facing.

im not saying that we are just bowling for the money, but with the economy the way it is maybe these days we have to be more cautious?

I can acknowledge that Totalbowling is not the only form of advertising and promoting a tournament in this country. This being said however a little more information letting bowlers know on prizefunds, or any changes needs to be done asap. Leaving it to the last minute not keeping bowlers informed provides a platform for dissappointment all round.

If you only have 24 bowlers for the tournament, be honest and say that, don't wait to the last minute saying you have numbers when you don't. Call it how it is and be honest, bowlers will be more appreciative and will support you in the long run.

I got cheap flights down so I'm committed to coming down, I'm just glad to see it is going ahead. Let's hope some info can be posted on here soon regarding the prizefund. Look forward to coming down and escaping this rain.

Sorry George...we have rain down here at the moment too (although I have no doubt it's not as bad as you have it!). Also, I agree with what the majority of bowlers have been saying...we need more information and we need it as soon as it's available. This will lead to greater support from competitors in the future.

One thing is certain though...pulling out of the event doesn't solve any issues. I can completely understand why people are pulling out of this event, but it is not the solution. I'm sure a single phone call to the bowling centre can give you the information that you would like to know...it's not an excuse to pull out just because the information is not posted on here.

Anyway, I will still be bowling on the weekend, so to all bowlers who are still registered, I will see you there, and to the people who have withdrawn, please reconsider your decision...this tournament needs you!

LET ME ALL ASURE YOU THAT TIS TOURN WILL GO AHEAD!
SILGHT CHANGE TO THE FORMAT BASED ON 20 PLAYERS, ONLY TE TOP TEN WILL PLAY THE FINALS.

THE AYOUT WILL BE
1st 1100
2nd 600
3rd 500
4th 350
5th 250
6th 190
7th 180
8th 170
9th 160
10th 150

Good lord I can't believe how many divas are going around calling themselves bowlers these days. What ever happened to bowling because you love the game? This is the reason why a lot of tournaments have or will be cancelled or disappear altogether. There are no guarantees in life but some of you believe that if you bowl you should have some sort of guarantee that you will have a monetary reward otherwise you won't bowl, unless your professional this won't happen. Bowl, enjoy the sport, meet and have FUN with those you know and get on with life.

How you can presume to know the current financial situation of everyone who either has or hasn't put their name down for this tournament is beyond me.

Is this how you encourage people who have withdrawn from this years tournament or have not even put their name down to enter next year?

I really hope this tournament is a success, and I hope to be able to enter it next year should it go ahead. However, there is simply not enough interest in tournament bowling in NSW right now to be able to run 2 events on the same weekend and expect to get a reasonable number of entries for both (even if they are 200km from each other). This coming weekend is proof of that.

There was no presumption involved, you had your name on the list to bowl so the facts are you had budgeted for this tournament, you didn't pull out because of financial problems , you left because you didn't get the required responses to your questions in a timely fashion.

I don't believe this. I cannot understand how people can post on here bagging the financial status of other people. Yes your correct, we might have budgeted for this event, but also cannot afford to play in the event with a reduced prize fund, entry fee still at $200, knowing you have to finish 4th to make a profit.

Mortgage payments and other financial payments come first before competing in tournaments in my book, judging people and saying bowl for the love of the game is not right to say.

The way this country is at the moment, throwing away money for the love people simply cannot afford to do.

Maybe if the entry fee was reduced aswell you might see more players.

The NSW sport series is proof of increased entries. They receive close to 50 each event. I'm telling you that is because the entry fee is only $85.00 to bowl and it's a one day event.

If bigger events are to succeed then they need to change to suit all players.

The failure of entries for the NC is not the fault of the players.

I personally, think we should look at getting the NSW grand prix running again, as we have lots events running in NSW, for example,

NSW OPEN
NSW CHAMPIONSHIPS
SPORTS SERIES
ORANGE BMW TOURNY
BATHURST PITSTOP TOURNY
NEWCASTLE CUP
NNSW OPEN

With just these events it would make a great curcuit, as you have sydney events, and if people want to have a weekend away theres that to, and there wouls be no reason why the orangiser of these events couldn't to a schedule so no dats clashed.

and ideas on that peoples

I was NOT bagging anyones financial status as you seem to think, if you want to go back over the posts when I wrote my comment there was not one person that said they had to withdraw because of financial straits they were doing so simply because they thought they were not getting enough information from the Tournament Committee regarding the number of bowlers and the prize fund. Although I agree that those same people should not have relied on there being sufficient info on this web site and should have used a telephone and found out the old fashioned way.

I was NOT bagging anyones financial status as you seem to think, if you want to go back over the posts when I wrote my comment there was not one person that said they had to withdraw because of financial straits they were doing so simply because they thought they were not getting enough information from the Tournament Committee regarding the number of bowlers and the prize fund. Although I agree that those same people should not have relied on there being sufficient info on this web site and should have used a telephone and found out the old fashioned way.

I did exactly that. I phoned the centre and was told there was 20 entries, and hence I decided to withdraw from the tournament. Seeing as though you don't seem to be able to accept the low number of entries and financial situation are related, let me clarify it for you.

I have only been bowling tournaments for 2 years, and have absolutely loved every tournament I have entered, whether I have bowled well or not. I have only made the cut once in the two years I have been entering tournaments.

This year because of finances I made the decision that I was only going to bowl 1 tournament. That was going to be the NSW open until the NC came along. I bowled the NC when it was held two years ago and had a great time. However, given that there are only 20 entries, and I know there are other events on both this weekend and later in the year that will give a better experience for me, it was an easy decision to make. I'm not in it to try and get money back. As I stated, I have only made the cut once since I started bowling tournaments. I bowl tournaments because I love the experience on offer.

Your "diva's" comment was nothing short of offensive. The question still stands. How are comments like that going to encourage people to bowl next time the tournament comes around?

Others have withdrawn from this tournament on the very same day their name appeared on the list for the sports series at Blacktown, but I don't see any criticism going their way. I completely understand their situation. When two events conflict a choice has to be made, and one of those choices is less than half the cost of the other.

Just as a matter of interest, 2 days out from this tournament and there is STILL no updated squad listing. All we have is a revised prize fund based on 20 entries. Do they have 20 entries? We don't know because there has not been an updated squad list posted for over a week now.

Can i please ask question, why is a updated squad listing so important now, as the tournament is still on and revised prized fund is done and the revised matchplay on sunday coinsides with that, as there must be at least 20 entries otherwise the revised prize fund would not have been posted, because at this late stage of the tournament date, you would only base any revisions on your confirmed numbers, not the current confirmed numbers then hope a few walk in, that is just silly.

As the only reason we want squid listings is to get a certain squad whether its who is bowling, when it is for the possible best condition in the center, or squad which best suits your travel.

David,

It's not important to me at all, as I am now not bowling in the tournament, but regular updates on squad listings are simply keeping everyone in the loop as to how the entries are going. Every other tournament I have entered in the last two years have given updated squad listings, esecially in the last week before the event.

As you would see from the posts exchanged yesterday between myself and Michael, there was a lack of clarification as to the actual number of entries. He was under the impression there was around 32, whereas I was told 20.

As a tournament bowler yourself you would be only too well aware that there are always last minute withdrawals or no shows, and I think it would be in the best interests of the tournament to at least confirm who and how many entries they currently have. I sincerely hope they do have 20 entries and that they all turn up. Given the recent history of tournament bowling, though, if there are 20 names on the list I will be pleasantly surprised if they actually end up with that many. It wasn't too long ago that there were 42 names down for a sports series event at Chester Hill and only 28 turned up on the day.

Hey guys.

This is very sad to see. If i was still down on the Central Coast this is an event i would have also chosen to bowl.I think what is lost here, since moving to the gold coast and bowling wide bay tour now, is the lack of communication of the entity promoting the event.

Like others have said earlier, there is more than this avenue to promote your event, however, being realistic this is the purest and most viewed channel in bowling and hence the most effective way to get your message out about your event.

Th problem i see with this vs wide bay events, is:

1. The lack of communication from the organiser with squad updates, which are vitally important as numbers infuence more numbers as we all know.

2. An updated prize fund on a regular basis which ensures people are able to plan in advance and commit to an event.

I have found up here the wide bay events are getting fully booked out within days of the tournament lists going up and people paying deposits weeks in advance just to get to bowl, let alone a squad preference and this is all because of effective communication by the organisers through this forum, being total bowling.

All it's about, like most things in ife is communication guys.

BTW Brett, i got me tan back and am loving the sun buddy :)

Dave, u moved from orange to newy mate. good choice. hope you are liking the new surrounds, Jewells is a nice.

Brett,

that is true, but i when i go to a tournament, i all ready assume, there will be late withdrawals and no show, and it doesn't worry as i dont care who is bowling as i want bowl in the tournament, it is nice to see who is going so you can catch up with people and it makes for a more sociable atmosphere, but generally the rule is most tournament Organiser of smaller tournaments generally, will ring the bowlers who are still on the list to confirm if they are still coming and then make there adjustments then, then if there are no shows, well then the bowlers are normally informed after the last squad and sunday morning of what they will be bowling for if has to be changed.

plus after while you know whos is not going as they are regulars for not turning up or pulling out at the last minute.

i have seen there have been a few comments taken the wrong way, and i not going to start fight with you or CSP, but when people say they will attend to a tournament, and pull out because of money or "paperwork" trail, with a week or so to go, is a little disapointing, because the questions asked could have been answer with a phone call to the right person, and if some one as given incorrect info from any source that can also be fixed.

i my biggest problem with what has been said over the last week or so, is the tone in which has been expressed to the organisers of the tournament, with as much stuff the 2 people have on there plate at the moment, not everthing is going to come quickly.

think about it, at least we get info about tournaments pretty well, i am still waiting for a answer from tbal about coach and drilling course in NSW and i have been waiting 6 month and haven't got an answer.

So i he every ones fustration, but anyway they have entries at the moment so, we wont know the actual number untill the start of squad 2 on sunday.

All I want to say is GOOD LUCK to those bowling at the weekend where ever you are. And I will stress my main point (which most people have overlooked) KEEP SUPPORTING THESE TOURNAMENTS otherwise they will disappear and once gone 9 times out of 10 they don't come back.

Support for tournaments will be there, providing entry forms are out early enough, players a kept up to date with the numbers attending and most importantly that the event doesn't clash with another event close by.

This event has lost at least 20 to 30 entrys to the sports series. That said, if it were scheduled for a different weekend (almost any weekend from November to February will do!) it would have attracted the numbers required.

I have a wall planner in my house, with all the events i am to attend for the year on it. It is amazing how many events are on consecutive weekends, or even on the same weekend as other events, when there are 3 free weekends either side. Now this is just my personal calander, however i bowl almost every scratch event in NSW.

There needs to be better use of the calander facility on totalbowling. At least it would give a rough guide for dates that are free.

I'd like to wish everyone bowling this weekend good luck and with a change of date next year, i'm sure it can be made a success.

CT

There needs to be better use of the calendar facility on totalbowling. At least it would give a rough guide for dates that are free.

I'd like to wish everyone bowling this weekend good luck and with a change of date next year, i'm sure it can be made a success.

CT

Hear! Hear! On both points.

Just an update for anyone who is interested...I was at the bowl today, and there was 27 entries (8 in A, 19 in B squad), however I believe that AMP has withdrawn since then.

Back
Top Bottom