New look Gold Coast Championships

Andrew S.

Gold Coast
The Gold Coast Area Champs have now been re-named the Gold Coast Regional Championships.
The format has been completely revamped in an effort to increase entry numbers. There will now be 1 event only, comprising of 3 person teams bowling 4 games. There will be 4 grades (Open, A, B & C.) Teams can comprise of Men, Women or a mix. Cost per bowler will be $25 and an entry in this fulfills the all events requirements for Local compliance for Rachuig, De Veer and Association Challenge.
The Champs are scheduled for Legends in 2003 and Ashmore in 2004.
A new division has been created solely for disability bowlers, and the entire Championship will be open to all financial TBA and TQ members.
Masters events will be bowled later in the year.
Dates for this event are Sunday March 9, Saturday March 15 and Sunday March 16.
Entry forms are not out yet, this is just a preliminary posting. A new regional committee has been formed and this championship is the first event under the control of the new committee.

Just like to put my thoughts forward on this New Look Championships.
Firstly I can't see how this can improve entries. Take previous years where it has cost approx. $20 for each event plus $3-5 for an All Events entry. Total cost for the championships has been roughly $65. How can one single entry in this event being $25 be a plus for anything? I know myself I will only be puting in for one squad in this years champs. Purely because the format sucks to say the least. I am sure I am not only talking on my behalf. Also, why have the rules now been changed (yet again if I am correct) that you need to have 'All Events' to qualify for Assoc. Challenge Team? Not that it makes a difference this year cause you only have to bowl one event to bowl an All Events anyway. :?
Looks to me like the only positive thing out of this thing is its being bowled at Legends. Imagine how many numbers this event will get when it returns to Tweed?

A lot of people are very happy that something different is being tried. To reduce the cost to $25 will save everyone the cost of sometimes pointless entries where there is little or no competition. The entries have been declining rapidly over the last 2 or 3 years and something new had to be tried. Some people may think the format sucks but lots of people have also indicated that they will be putting in their team entry.
I guess only time will tell.

Andrew,

I for one applaud the new committee for having the guts to try something different. You never know unless you try.

It is vastly different (from what you have posted) from the traditional format, but I know exactly where your committee is coming from. I have watched this forum without fail every day, and read about success and failures of tournaments across oz. (more failures unfortunately).

I wish you well, enjoy chrissy my friend and all the best for the new year.

Regards

John Wiffen
Toowoomba

just a question

how much does it cost for the committee to run the championships

it seems as though escalating tournament expenses and declining prize monies will make for a successful mix to screwing any tournament

example a 14 lane team squad at the gold coast championships paid if my memory serves me right $4 per head in tournament expenses.

so did the committee really need to make $224 to run the squad that had 3 officials that are volunteers for 2 hours.

:wink:

So not counting lineage and prize money that is paid back directly to the bowlers, what would you charge ?

ok andrew

$1 per head and $7 for prize fund, and if $20 is too dear then cut the prizefund accordingly

or goto the cheapest tender instead of the one who's turn it is. but then you have to weigh up what you are exactly paying for, you would know what i mean there.

Thank you Craig, you raise some very valid points. George the Masters will be bowled later in the year, however the decision has not yet been made regarding an open or closed event.

Back
Top Bottom