New Bowling Centre at Darling Harbour

woy woy

For those that may live nearby, there is a new bowling centre being built at Darling Harbour in the main shopping area. I haven't been down there yet, but it's being built upstairs, where there apparently used to be a "pauls warehouse". No idea when it is opening, or how many lanes. I've been told the signage gives a website "kingpinbowling.com.au". They have 3 centres, all in Victoria.

THe centre is going to be fully licensed. No doubt they will get plenty of business from my place of work (star City) and other businesses in the area.

its about time to see a bowling centre that is close to a sydney attraction like darling harbour where our game can have some exposure but i hope its not to pricey or it will end up like bowl and grill

Bad news Mr Penguin! Kingpin centres target a niche market that's about maximum profit per line, not competitive bowling. More bumpers, (premium) beer and finger food instead of hot dogs... Then spending the fat profits advertising and marketing toward the next social player. Terribly imaginative.

But at least the rich people won't have to put up with being near folks who work for a living. (Or at least admit to working for a living!)

Bad news Mr Penguin! Kingpin centres target a niche market that's about maximum profit per line, not competitive bowling. More bumpers, (premium) beer and finger food instead of hot dogs... Then spending the fat profits advertising and marketing toward the next social player. Terribly imaginative.

But at least the rich people won't have to put up with being near folks who work for a living. (Or at least admit to working for a living!)
dosnt amf do the same especially macquarie leisure now own it

Yep! We have been watching with interest for the past few weeks, the windows are boarded up at present, so we can't see inside the only sign on the door is the usual legal stuff for a licence application. We live 2 minutes walk from this new bowl. The development is a huge area, but you can bet its going to be exactly like the typical Kingpin centre - huge restaurant and bar, and probably 8 lanes, much like the old Fox Studios "fun" centre.
Would love to go there and practice on a Sunday morning, but doubt the place will even be opening until midday and then it will be full of tourists. I will go and enquire how much it would cost for 6 games practice, but I am expecting it will continue to be cheaper to fight the traffic for an hour to Chester Hill instead, where they cater for "real" bowlers.

The cost of leasing or buying property in Sydney CBD would discourage any proprietor from running a bowling centre for competitive bowlers, the outgoings would be huge and few competitive bowlers would pay the game fees asked for the business to break even. Car parking would be a nightmare, accommodation close by for inter-state bowlers would be mostly unaffordable.

Even if we could persuade the new Darling Harbour Kingpin to open up on Sunday morning and give a reduced rate for bowlers with their own equipment, parking fees would probably put most people off.

You all realise that this will become the closest centre to the CBD and not Randwick. We are screwed, we are going to lose all our corporate business to this new centre.

Hi all,
We have bowled in one of these centres in Vic.. And their pricing was out of this world.. In no way do they target any type of league bowler..
We went with friends that said that this center was fantastic and with them being from the area we thought it would be ok.
We rock up with all of our gear looking forward to a good night of bowling, we got the funniest glances from people that had obviously never seen a 3 ball roller and a pair of bowling shoes that were not red and black..

We bowled mid week so we got a discount on the pricing which was $15. for one game (no special for multiple games). We even had to pay this price for our 6yr old daughter.
Their weekend rates were $20. per game.
Shoe's are extra..

We ordered a few nibbles from their restaurant and over $100. later we were still hungry..

Their lanes were set up with 2 lanes then a platform then another 2 lanes, then they had a dance floor and then the same thing repeated. All it really is, is a nightclub with a few bowling lanes..

As for the lane conditions, there wasn't any, my husband persisted with his balls and I picked up a house ball and it was like magic the house ball seemed to find a line (maybe it had magnets or something to find a line to the pocket).

So for an hour of fun for 4 adults and 1 child it cost us over $330.

4 adults x 2 games each = $120. 1 child X 2 games = $30.
1 plate of mini spring rolls ( 6)
1 plate of chicken kebabs (maybe not chicken as they were tiny ,maybe it was quail or something similar).
1 plate of mini meatballs
and finally 1 plate of samosas
The total for this fabulous feast was over $120. (I cant remember the exact price all I know is that our wallets were empty when we left)

Then we had a drink or 2 each so this was another $80.

So for the price of a cheap bowling ball or an entry into a big tournament you can go and have an hour of fun with a couple of mates and that is about it..

Imagine if we had gone on a Friday or Saturday night it would of cost us over $400. (That new ball would of looked good in my bag)...

Back
Top Bottom