Nationals assistance needed from an Illawarra native.......

bm2

I'm still standin'
Was just wondering if someone who lived in the Illawarra district would be able to give some information pertinent to someone considering travelling to the nationals this year.

Whilst I am aware that you can catch a train from Sydney airport to Central and then another one on down the coast, can someone who actually lives in the area advise if there are any companies operating who actually do transfers from Sydney airport down to Illawarra? The thought of catching the airport train to central with a double roller bag and luggage, and then competing with peak hour passengers for space on the train is not overly appealing.

I would be very glad of any input, and I am sure that I will not be the only one seeking this information out.

thanking you in advance :)

Broni

Travelling

Hey Bronni how are you mate? I dont know if i can be of any help at all to you and im not sure if you are travelling with anyone at all? But i have just recently done a trip to Sydney to bowl at Blacktown and i was very hesitant on the Airport train thing also mate as i have never travelled on a train myself. But i assure you that these trains are the safest thing and cheapest thing i have seen so far. We travelled from Blacktown to central then to airport and visa versa for $9.00. At every station there was someone there to help us out there were security every where and the people on the train are really nice. As for the luggage we had Three totes each and our luggage and did it ok. There are a few escalators and stuff but apart from that there arent many steps.
As for the transport by buses we werent able to catch a bus at all unles we went via the city then it would cost over $90 and that was not happening. Hope i could be of assistance please feel free to cal anytime. Also if you could let us know your dates when you are arriving we maybe able to pick you up with our bus we have hired.

Travel

There are numerous ways you can get from the airport down to the Illawarra if you don't want to hire a car from the airport.

I have attached a listing of companies that you can contact.

Also a good site to check out is www.tourismshellharbour.com.au if you are wanting to find out about accommodation, restaurants, things to do etc..

Hope this has been of some help to you (and maybe others).

Looking forward to seeing you all in October/November.

Regards

Sue

I too went up to for the tournament and was worried about getting from the Airport to Blacktown.

I can back up Sams comments on the train from the Airport to Central and then on to Blacktown.

I arrived in Sydney around 7:30 am and managed to handle the trip to Central with no trouble despite it being morning peak.

I even stopped in the City for awhile and there were lockers at the station where I could leave my two ball roller bag and my suitcase. $8.00 for 24hours but make sure you take what you need from your bags first as you can't go back and forth to the locker. Once you lock it the only time you can open it is when you want to leave otherwise you have to pay again.

If you are looking for the cheapest option then I recommend the train although I have not looked at the link that Sue posted.

I agree with Sam I have never seen so many security people at stations in my life and I travel by train to work every day here in Melbourne.

Hope this gives a better light on the train service.

I would like to know how far Kiama is away from the bowl, and how long it takes to travel, especially in peak periods(if you have such things). I get claustrophobic staying in motels, so I prefer to stay in Cabin Parks.

Also, how far is the bowl from the train station, and which one?

As we are coming from Queanbeyan (near Canberra) and visiting family in Bomaderry, how do we get there from the South?

Depending on traffic, Kiama to the bowl is probably about 10-15 minutes Id say. The bowl is about a 10-15 mintue walk from Albion Park train station, and is very easy to get to, it is literally down the road, no crossing to the other side of the highway involved.
To get to the bowl from Bomaderry, you just have to follow the Princes Hwy, all the way up to Albion Park Rail, and once in APR, look for the big red building :D
I will see if I can get a map to attach later.

My thanks to all for their input, I don't like to drive here in Brisbane, so naturally the thought of tackling driving in sydney is terrifying!!! At least knowing the options available well in advance makes the decision to attend easier to make!!

Sam - thanks for the bus offer, ayr hospitality travels even to NSW!

Broni :lol:

kiama info here

Being a Kiama resident I can give u some more advice. The best tourist park in Kiama is the Easts Beach Holiday Park - it is right on East's Beach... don't bother going anywhere else :) Of course if serviced apartments are more your style, I would recommend Terralong Apartments on Terralong Street. Book early...

Kiama is fairly close to Strikezone, it is not far at all - as Jen said it is 10-15 minutes(without traffic). There is a traffic jam daily starting at 7:30am on this highway so be sure to leave ur accommodation at least an hour before u need to be at the bowl... *friendly advice here*

From there on, the bowl is on the opposite side of the highway and you need to drive past it and go around a roundabout to get there. Sounds confusing, but it is pretty straight forward once you are there :)

Here is the Kiama tourism website for anyone who wants more info:

http://www.kiama.com.au/accommodation/default.htm

In response to Bomaderry, it is between 1 - 1/2 hours to Strikezone (without traffic).

Hope this helps and good luck!

Yes, Terralong Terrace apartments are great when looking for a place to stay. Never actually stayed there, but my mum used to work there, so I know that place inside and out :twisted:

Suzi,
To get to Albion park from Bomaderry, As Jen said it is very straight forward all as u have to do is follow the highway straight through untill u arrive in albion park. I do this twice a week as i live in Nowra, & travel to Illawarra Strikezone. & it isnt very hard at all.
If u have anymore questions about it, feel free to ask.....

L8er, Kezza.

Back
Top Bottom