MTBA ADULT CLASSIC AMF Highpoint Bowl 10th May 2009

EAST COAST ROLLOFF AMF Highpoint Bowl 23rd & 24th May 2009
(1st Roll Off)

MTBA CHAMPIONSHIPS AMF Frankston Bowl 13th & 14th June 2009

EAST COAST ROLLOFF AMF Moorabbin Bowl 18th & 19th July 2009
(3rd Roll Off)

EAST COAST CHAMPIONSHIPS & EAST COAST CHALLENGE CUP
LIDCOMBE NSW 26th September to 3rd October 2009

Are we only having the one weekend to bowl the championships this year?
We usually have one weekend & then the Sunday of the next weekend.
Is that not happening this year?

Jenny ;)

Hey guys, just wondering if theres any minute possiblity there could be a change made, as the same situation has occured as 3 years ago with the last roll off clashing with Columbia Youth Cup in Geelong which could put a strain on alot of us for making a decision who really want to bowl East Coast.
Thanks

Jenny & Tarsha

I can't speak officially as I was not at the meeting that decided these dates but I believe that the idea for the championships being held only on the one weekend is due to a couple of reasons.

1. The 2008 incarnation at Keon Park had one day where there was very minimal bowlers actually bowling in the squads.
This leads to the other primary reason:
2. The bowling centre in agreeing to reserve off lanes for the event on that day lost a large amount of revenue from the lack of numbers when measured against their normal takings from social bowlers for the same time period.

I believe this is the primary reasoning for the championships being scheduled on only one weekend. It is primarily to facilitate the MTBA actually being able to get the lanes it requires and for the bowling centre to not suffer financially for agreeing to host the event.

I think the MTBA will trial it this year and see how it goes and I believe they have the capacity to add squads if required on that weekend to cater for all who wish to bowl in the championships with priority obviously given to ECCC rolloff participants. I also think that having the event at Frankston provides a way for the championships to run and the bowl can also cater for social bowlers / birthday parties at the same time with no disruption to the champs entrants. This may not be the case but as their will be 14 lanes available per squad minimum I suggest you get your champs entries in early if you enter the rolloffs this year.

Now as to clashes with other events I believe that unfortunately is unavoidable due to the MTBA not be accepted for affiliation with the TBA in 2009. This means that they may not have had access to the full calendar of events as they did in previous years and as such could not avoid a clash. Even if this is not the real reason it again is very difficult to avoid clashes these days and as the MTBA usually run their rolloffs and championships at the same time each year you may want to ask the other events why they in fact scheduled their event at that time.

I hope this helps and also that one of the MTBA officials can confirm this when they are able to.

Back
Top Bottom