Moving from 15 - 14lb - Any takers?

Toon

OWN IT!
After taking a 4 month break due to back issues, I decided to return to the lanes and drop from 15 - 14lb to see if it helps.

I had my first 14 drilled today and not only did it not cause my back any grief. I was amazed at the extra control, consistent release, my aiming seemed more accurate and I was able to increase my ball speed with much less accuracy sacrifice.

I am sure I will never roll a 15 again. My biggest fear was carry, but there was absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Any others made the change to a lower weight?

I moved to 14 after my wrist was giving way, and I too found the same benefits. I have noticed very little difference in carry of the pounds as the extra pace I have gained seems to have balanced that out.

I did a similar thing. 15's to 14's, down side is ball speed as soon as I pick up the speed my right shoulder drops out.

8 weeks weeks ago I jumped up to 16's to try it out. Seeing as I can throw them slower they hit pretty good still.

14's thrown harder hit just as hard as the 16's thrown softer.

You just need to throw what makes you comfortable.

I went through a similar process to John Velo. After bowling with 15lb not so good for a while I decided to try 16lb. It worked ok, but I felt it if I bowled more than four games. Also got some shoulder soreness .. Getting old I guess .. So I to went back to 14 lb. so far the scores are better. Control is so much better and most importantly I enjoyed my bowling so much more.

As has been said already .. You just need to throw what makes you feel comfortable.

Went through the same sort of thing 6yrs ago. Hurt my shoulder a few years before playing soccer. When I came back to bowling, had to go from 15 to 14 lbs. Averaged in the high 210s until I went back to 15 this year. The one thing 14lb bowling balls did do, was make myself concentrate on hitting my mark better. I left a lot more flat 7 pins, but I was happy leaving them if it meant I was still bowling competitively without too much pain.

Back
Top Bottom