Interesting Read

bowlrig

Just A Bowler
Hi All,
found this an interesting read,

Letter To The Foundation

My name is David Tolson and I am currently enlisted in the Air Force stationed in Miami, FL. I am a friend of Kendra Cameron from the Washington D.C. area. I recently participated in your prototype 2 "Foundation Games" Tournament. I am including in this Message an email I sent out to my friends and family about this tournament and your facility. Your staff had requested feed back and I figured this e-mail message to my friends/family would suffice as additional feedback for your staff. To date, I have had two responses from interested parties in the tournament. One from a bowler friend of mine in the D.C. area and one from my step-father who is a general manager of two bowling centers in Lafayette, La.

Here is the e-mail that I sent to them:

Hi fellow bowling fans, friends, family.

This past weekend I sent to most of you information about the Kegel Training Center in Sebring, FL. It's a facility with the state of the art teaching methodology around (cameras, computers, video replay, etc). Also, the founder of the center is a research buff in most all facets of the game of bowling. For example coefficient of friction of a bowling ball on a lane, oil applications, just to name a couple and much more than I have time to type or will ever understand.

I took part in an experiment/tournament at this facility. It was the second one of it's kind at the center. The only ball you could use was plastic ie...a white dot or something comparable. A list of allowable balls was provided by the tournament director. No offset drillings allowed or balance holes. Just over the label. Talk about going back to the old days. I can't remember the last time I used plastic. Did I mention I left a few five pins. Well I ended up averaging 183 for 8 games. Can't say that I missed a lot of easy spares. Less than a handful and the rest were open frames due to splits. I had the dreaded 120 game within my block as well.

My old urethane release probably would have come in handy. Being that I'm used to bowling with hook in the box, the reactive resin type of release did not work very well for me. A 16 lb ball would have been nice instead of the 15 I was using. Did I mention I left some stone 5's?

Anyway, the integrity of the game seemed to be restored in this tournament. Ball speed, accuracy, and a consistent release was the key to scoring well. Humm....Can't say that's required these days in the modern sport (gag!!!)… recreation we call bowling. Sport vs Recreation. That's another debate for another time.

I'm not sure what THE FOUNDATION GAMES will bring to bowling in the future. However, I experienced a blast from the past, and despite the dismal score...I actually learned/revisited what I grew to know, back in the day, the sport of bowling. Did I mention I left a few 5 pins?

Wonder how many we would get to such a tournament in Australia?

Rob

Hi Rob,

This sounds great

May I propose a new rule for the Marathon. All bowlers must use a plastic or urethane ball :lol: :lol:

That would make for a long but entertaining 24 hours don't you think?

Graeme

Back
Top Bottom