How to choose a Squad and Why?

John_Velo

G'Day All,

Another quick five minute question.

I have decided to test myself in the upcoming Mick Camarda Memorial at AMF Illawarra in September, this will be the first tournament I have ever bowled in.

Two reason for choosing this event,

1: Mick was a good family friend and a part of my life as a kid. Bowling in this will be a nice way to remember him.
2: It also marks near enough the the end of my first year back in bowling and a good marker to see where I stand after 12 months.

But the decision is what Squad to bowl in. I noticed most people tend to choose the second squad on other tournaments listed here.

So the $200 question:

Why is that people choose the second Squad?

What is the advantage of bowling in the second Squad if you are not going to watch the first Squad to see how the lanes play?

I look forward to hearing from the tournament bowlers.

Some people don't think or function well early in the morning - I suppose it depends whether you are a morning or an afternoon person? Of course some people travel & this affects the decision.

I think the most common answer would be....so you know what scores you are chasing.

Some like to set the pace, some like to chase it.

I prefer the early squads.

Hi John, I find that bowling the second or third squad allows me to see what scores are realistic on the pattern. When I bowl the first squad I'm not always sure if my scoring pace is on par or am I bowling poorly. Plus I get to sleep in.

I generally don't mind bowling early in the morning, I find often that conditions are a little different first thing in the morning, particularly if it's cold outside. For this tournament though, and any other that I have to travel for, I generally pick the arvo squad, purely to save me travelling up the day before. Plus, a sleep in is always good too! :)

I think you will find alot of the better tournament bowlers tend to bowl the same squad. They seem to be able to use each other to open up the shot / lanes (unless you are a lefty ;)) & would probably score better whilst being on the lanes with someone they know or someone that is scoring well.

Then again I could be totally wrong.

Rob

G'Day All,

Thanks for the responses. Tough choice, bowl with the larger group and have a direct idea of what you need to do. What lines are scoring. It would also be a buzz to bowl with some of the top bowling guys and gals in the country.

Bowling early, the lanes may play a little different. Travel, well ten minutes up the road is no biggie.

At the Australia Cup last year I believe only one person made the cut from Squad - A. Maybe due to sheer numbers that the percentage was that way, or maybe the lanes just played differently?

Again thanks for your thoughts.

Squad selection can be important depending on where/when the tournament is held.

A 9am squad in the middle of winter will play differently to a 2pm squad so you need to work out which one you will get more benefit from.

Phluff's comment is of particular interest. A squad is usually stacked with locals having a go. Last year Spike was the only guy to make it at Australia Cup and Neil Donnelly just missed at 17th. The year before at Tuggeranong, it was a very cold morning for December. I was the only guy to make it from A squad and I can assure you they were absolutely brutal. One more missed split and I was out.

I remember AMF running something (SPC?) and the manager decided that putting the pattern in the machine on the morning of the event was just dandy. So A squad blew it to bits with all that house shot roller memory in the Kustodian. I think Jezza shot +240/6 or something equally silly. Until recently, outside 10 didn't get oiled from one Christmas to the next in Castle Hill, so it took about 12 lanes worth of oil to approximate the tournament pattern as the roller just sucked that oil up for some time. Then they washed an re-oiled for every squad, so everyone from B squad on was at least 60 pins behind before they threw a ball.

Besides, B Squad is perfect for travellers as they can save a night's accommodation and catch up with friends for dinner.

I think the main reason is usually to do with travelling time. I know when I booked into squads it is all about what squads best suits the travel requirements and cheapest option (e.g. fly in Saturday morning and save a nights accomodation).

Mick Carmarda for example, I could possible bowl the mornign squad as it is only 1 hour drive away, however I have friends flying in the for the event so will pick them up in the morning and then head down for B squad.

No one for sure can say which squad is going to play "easier" if there is any difference at all. You hear all the time...ohhh "B" squad must have been easier coz only 1 made it made A...but then if you look at B squad it could have been filled with "high" quality players. It all comes down to your own preference.

The first squad can be an advantage if you make the finals as I believe there is a good chance the pattern will play similar in the finals due to the same start time, this is of course as long as the pattern has been run prior to the event (as outlined by Doust).

Phluff's comment is of particular interest. A squad is usually stacked with locals having a go. Last year Spike was the only guy to make it at Australia Cup and Neil Donnelly just missed at 17th. The year before at Tuggeranong, it was a very cold morning for December. I was the only guy to make it from A squad and I can assure you they were absolutely brutal. One more missed split and I was out.

Now now, i think there was someone else from A squad who made it :p

G'Day Guys,

I understand the points in mention. You would hope the lanes would be tested and set a few days before. Otherwise the A squanders’ could have a house pattern. I am currently listed in B squad, I am liking the thought of that as it will give me a good chance to bowl with the top guys. Now not saying that A squad will not have top bowlers by any means. But a number of the A squad people are locals that I bowl with most Friday nights.

So I am thinking of it as a great opportunity to watch and learn the non-locals.

Having said that, do you feel that when all of the high rev guys get together that they are going to tear the pattern apart and make it harder?

The other question to also consider is the pattern being laid, I don't know anything about the pattern at this stage for the Camarda Memorial, it is listed as WTBA but there a number of them?

Thanks again for your input guys.

For myself personally, a lot comes down to travel, when I can get there and also the other players who are in a particular squad.

Breaking that up, travel to Mick Camarda means me bowling B squad, I can leave home at a reasonable time the Saturday morning and not have to worry about another nights accommodation.

Other players in the squad do have an effect, perfect example to an extreme is the Australian Open. The earlier squads were generally filled up with female competitors, judging from how the women made a big difference to the shot at the earlier Kegel Open, there was no way I was going to bowl a squad with predominantly straighter players, when I could bowl a squad with other players who were more similar to myself, and had the potential to open up the lane a little better if played the right way.

I just look at it from the point of view as why make things harder for yourself and what is going to give me the best chance to qualify and depending on format, the most pinfall if needed to carry over.

Other players in the squad do have an effect, perfect example to an extreme is the Australian Open. The earlier squads were generally filled up with female competitors, judging from how the women made a big difference to the shot at the earlier Kegel Open, there was no way I was going to bowl a squad with predominantly straighter players, when I could bowl a squad with other players who were more similar to myself, and had the potential to open up the lane a little better if played the right way.

I just look at it from the point of view as why make things harder for yourself and what is going to give me the best chance to qualify and depending on format, the most pinfall if needed to carry over.

This is one of the things that I feel is wrong with the Australian Tournaments....and bowling in general for that matter.
I spent 20 years bowling PBA Regionals and the guys didn't get to pick their squads every tournament. If you bowled A squad one event, you'd be rostered onto B squad the next time you bowled. The only exception to this is that you were allowed two squad switches per year (over the course of 20-30 events)

G'Day Wayne,

It is a good idea, but I think shear numbers would be required and being able to make a living out of bowling. Neither would happen in Australia.

So squad choice it is.

I've always liked the idea of squads being selected for you on a rotating basis. It is more fair, but alas, we don't have the numbers as it is. I'll always look to stay at home another night when I can, as qualifying after "First night in a strange bed with whatever I could get to eat in my tummy" lack of sleep is just one more handicap I'd prefer not to have.

This is one of the things that I feel is wrong with the Australian Tournaments....and bowling in general for that matter.
I spent 20 years bowling PBA Regionals and the guys didn't get to pick their squads every tournament. If you bowled A squad one event, you'd be rostered onto B squad the next time you bowled. The only exception to this is that you were allowed two squad switches per year (over the course of 20-30 events)

The thing is though, this pretty much only happens in the world of the PBA, that is fine, I didn't have a problem with it in my only US Open venture many years ago. However, all around the world, including non PBA tournaments in the US, bowlers get the nominate what squad they want to bowl in, especially in re entry tournaments. These tournaments, with their format also play a big part in the importance of squad selection. It will probably never happen here in Australia and that is why squad selection based on time of day, travel, who is in the squad will continue to be of importance.

When me and Dad go to a tournament, we normally have a 4-7 hour travel time. So its more beneficial for us to go the day before and stay at a Hotel, as we also like to go have a bowl at the centre the day before. Not to get a read on the lanes/pattern obviously, we come from a wood house so ANY opportunity to bowl on synthetics is welcomed as its the only chance we get to use our good gear.

So I have always bowled in Squad A, and will probly continue to do so for those reasons. Plus its very relaxing for me to spend the afternoon watching the better bowlers grace the lanes in Squad B :D

Back
Top Bottom