How to choose a Squad and Why?

John

In days past whether to bowl A or B Squad was about if you liked freshly oiled lanes or not. Most tournaments did not reoil between the first and second squads. Funnily enough although I did not like traditionally oily centres like Moorabbin I tended to bowl Squad A all the time. I could then as Daz said sit back and watch the best bowlers go at it in Squad B.

Now with reoils before both Squads it comes down to a lot of factors as mentioned by Phluff, Jason and Michael earlier.

If you need to commute more than two hours to the bowl may see you bowl the second Squad to avoid paying for another nights accommodation.
If you like to move the ball a lot then you should bowl Squad B like Michael said as the shot will open up a lot quicker (unless you are a lefty like me where that depends on the number of lefties in the field).
If you prefer a completely dry back end then you would bowl Squad A as I find that despite the reoil the backend in Squad B is not the same as in Squad A right from the start.
If you have practiced on the advertised pattern then definately bowl Squad B as Squad A unless the pattern has been laid in the centre for the last couple of days will not play anywhere like it should. Keep in mind though where you practiced on the pattern (i.e. Centre if different to tournament location; how long it had been down for; oiling machine etc.) as these will all determine how it plays. I would suggest not having a set predetermined line to play but use those practice sessions only as a guide. I also suggest the same if you are just looking at the patterns graphic on a website and have played on similar ones before. The centre layout, days weather, amount of people in the bowl, humidity will all effect how the pattern plays in the Squad.

One piece of good advice I can give you above what my fellow posters can is with regards to the fact you have decided to bite the bullet and bowl Squad B with all the fancied bowlers. Maybe your dad back in the day would have told you this but you need to remember to bowl within your own game and not get caught up in what is going on around you. Let me clarify that for you via the following points:

1. Ensure from the start you time your step onto and off of the approach within your own comfort zone but of course within the rules. Don't let some one rush you.
2. Observe where possible the etiquette of the bowlers arround you although the standard practice is one lane either side you will probably find it maybe a pair either side for most of the B Squad particiapants. If someone wants more than that then simply don't wait for them and bowl. They know the rules.
3. Ensure you play your own game. This includes concentrating on your own game. However be mindful of how other who bowl similar to you are playing the lanes as this could help you attack the lanes better.
4. The most important thing is enjoy the experience as this can make it a lot easier to take advantage of the second part of point three above and obtain a better result. If you are preoccupied about doing well then you won't have a clear head and good decisions are not only harder to make but you will not make them quickly enough.
5. In the practice time ensure you play a ball down as many lines as possible including through the middle with your spare shot to guage the hold on the lane. While you work out a good strike shot ensure you spare and then when the lanes open up this earlier work will pay off. Remember strikes are great but sparing can help make the difference between the cut, cash and just a good showing.

Good luck in the event.

Back
Top Bottom