Moonah

A lot of people are worried that Moonah is not a big centre for watching and supporting, and I guess, correctly so.

However, there is one big thing in it's favour - it is a "warm centre" in so far as atmosphere goes. Personally, last year I did not like Illawarra Strikezone at all - too far from the action and the control desk was a long way from the player's area. The noise was so "echoey" and there was a coldness in the place.

Moonah is certainly smaller in that regard, but I am sure most people will welcome the ambience of it. Having been down there several times lately and bowling in the VIP Classic, I can tell you all from experience - it is just a great place to be.

As well as that, the people down there are the friendliest in Australia. It will be a great month, I can't wait.

For those who will be using the cafeteria, it is probably the best one I have patronised in a bowling centre in Australia too.

Max
NB> And it definitely has a great ProShop.

Good words Max...
Just wondering if the management of Moonah or the proshop manager could post some pics of what the inside of the centre looks like...I hear it's got some great murals...
Den

If I get a chance Dennis, I'll take a couple of snaps with a mobile phone camera tonight when I go in there to bowl and stick 'em up on here for ya :)

They won't be all that highly detailed unlike if Droo takes some with a digital camera, but you'll get the idea, the pic in my avatar is my home, so that's the kind of quality of pic.

By the way, the mural went in late 2004 when the place was renovated ;)

This will be my fourth Rachuig, and I have bowled various other tornies around the place ..... and while acknowledging that Moonah might be slightly less roomy than other bowls (as far as hosting nationals goes), I wouldnt have thought it to be significantly smaller than some others we have bowled Nationals in in the recent past, so dont think it will be a problem.

Having said that, Im not sure what plans have been made as far as seating, grandstands etc for the nationals, because the place defiantely needs some work in that area to enable a successful nations to be run. Maybe the guys in Hobart know a little more about this? Droo, Tiger??

I will see what I can do with the photos tomorrow. No promises

Gilligan.... The lanes are HPL (AMF Synthetic). Are they oily or dry? Who knows when Nationals comes along. At the moment, I'm throwing a mirror finished Green Gargoyle, and a polished Green/Blue Centuar drilled VERY weak, and they have no problems turning the corner. Even taking my hand out of them.

Here's a few I snapped tonight.
moonah1zj9.png

This area is from the pro-shop along the rear concourse behind Lane 3 towards the counter.
moonah2sm5.png

Standing on the concourse where the front of the stand would be, directly behind Lane 4, looking down into the playing area.
moonah3zj1.png

Looking towards the top end of the centre and settee area from the concourse.
moonah4ej9.png

Looking from the playing area at the foot of the counter back toward where the stand would be located for Nationals, and the BBA Proshop in the background.

Thank you so much for that Tiger!!!
Just another quick question.... those ball returns... they're similar to the ones in Randwick up here in Sydney... they're not far down the approach are they?? I have problem with the ones in randwick being so far forward i can't use the entire approach on the right hand lane when picking up 10 pin, ALWAYS kick the silly thing!
R

Thank you so much for that Tiger!!!
Just another quick question.... those ball returns... they're similar to the ones in Randwick up here in Sydney... they're not far down the approach are they?? I have problem with the ones in randwick being so far forward i can't use the entire approach on the right hand lane when picking up 10 pin, ALWAYS kick the silly thing!
R

What's wrong with 3 steps, from standing in front of it? ;)

That's common for me..... for strikes :lol:

Latest photos from Moonah Bowl, in readiness for the 2006 Nationals.
Photos taken this evening.
Note that the stand is smaller than the stands in 1990-1991 due to new fire-code laws.

standcr9.png

The Grandstand.

sideofstandky4.jpg

From the side of the stand outside the BBA Proshop, looking towards the Lane 24 end.

inthestandoi8.jpg

Along the stand, on the back row, looking towards the cafe.

onthelanespi8.jpg

Looking from the middle of the stand toward the lanes as Rodney Radcliffe lines up on the approach and Messrs Tilla and Challenor chat.

newseatinggm6.jpg

New seating, new flooring in the settee area, and repainted walls.

newseatcv0.jpg

Closeup of the new seating.

What's wrong with 3 steps, from standing in front of it? ;)
That's common for me..... for strikes :lol:

So you can fit 3 steps in front of it? :) That's no problem then coz i can fit about 1 and a half steps in randwick!

Oh Great Proshop too Max ;)

R

Tiger said:
Latest photos from Moonah Bowl, in readiness for the 2006 Nationals.
Photos taken this evening.
Note that the stand is smaller than the stands in 1990-1991 due to new fire-code laws.
sideofstandky4.jpg

From the side of the stand outside the BBA Proshop, looking towards the Lane 24 end.
Now gone!
Found to have significant safety problems, with sharp jagged bits sticking off the sides, after a problem with someone being cut by it.
Company who constructed it (some mob in Charles Street) was called in to fix the problem, but carted it away instead.
No stand for Nationals. :(

Now gone!
Found to have significant safety problems, with sharp jagged bits sticking off the sides, after a problem with someone being cut by it.
Company who constructed it (some mob in Charles Street) was called in to fix the problem, but carted it away instead.
No stand for Nationals. :(
The stands that have been used for PBA Tour events were very similar to those. A bit of foam rubber padding covered with duct tape on the exposed joints with and other sharp points would've done the trick rather nicely.

The stands that have been used for PBA Tour events were very similar to those. A bit of foam rubber padding covered with duct tape on the exposed joints with and other sharp points would've done the trick rather nicely.
Yes that's the same thing I suggested.
Apparently the bowl did too, asking the company just to come around and wrap some of the foam padding covered with tape around the jagged points for public safety reasons which was fair enough too, but for some really weird reason the company decided to unbolt the whole thing and take it away.

In the time it took them to dismantle it, they could've gone around the sharp points and covered them and still made money on renting it out to the bowl for three weeks or so.

I walked into the bowl today to watch the ATBSO and thought WTF? :confused:

Certainly seems weird without it. On a positive note, the cafe is handling things very well so far :)

Back
Top Bottom