"MO"tion Drilling/Balance Hole

Good Video,

Just when you think you have your head around ball layouts, Mo comes up with something new.

I find it amazing in that it show that the latest and greatest ball is not as important as getting the layouts perfect for your delivery specs.

Great video, thanks for sticking it up here.

It's an interesting development, similar in a way to the 'voodoo' layout. One of the keys to the layout IMO is the high topweight, which delays the transitions as it migrates towards the initial PAP, giving the ball extra length whilst preserving axis rotation for more backend. Statics CAN have an effect, apparently!

Tried this on an old ball it Definitely works. If you are speed dominant or just have a low rev rate and want some extra pop on the back its definitely worth giving this layout consideration.

My dual angle layout ended up being 85°x 4 1/8"x 45 on said ball. My total sums are normally only about 80° total so was surprising to see how big an effect the MOtion hole had on the drill angle.

Core dynamics are still number 1 in that regard.

The MOtion hole changes weightblock shape, to make the ball push and create more backend.

You can change reaction with a weighthole a lot more than moving static weights

I still stand by "CGnomatta"

Andrew, in this case you are wrong. Big difference between 1 oz side and 3 oz effective side. Couple of my posts in the MOhole thread:
"This is how I have been explainhg the effect to my customers, so if it's wrong, I'd like to know.
Track flare moves the high topweight towards the PAP, effectively giving the ball 2+ ounces of positive side weight. For a righty, this causes the ball to precess anticlockwise, delaying the roll and maintaining axis rotation longer. Once the ball is rolling, it acts like a lawn bowl and keeps 'hooking' in the roll phase, increasing the entry angle. Simple, or simplistic?

Edit - the crux hole has exactly the same effect on the ball dynamics except it generates bottom weight, making the ball precess the wrong way."

"Triplicate - the only difference between the Motion hole and the crux hole is the effect on statics the position of the hole has. The Motion hole is pretty much opposite the centre of the grip, the crux is in the grip centre - the holes are at opposite ends of the same axis and will thus have exactly the same effect on the dynamics of the ball. The increased topweight doesn't have to line up with the axis to be effective, as long as it is on the positive side of the ball it will drive the precession of the axis.
In terms of the 'increase in gyroscopic inertia' - the gyroscopic inertia is determined by the direction and size of the angular momentum vector of the ball, it will be the same for both drills. If you draw a force diagram at the instant of contact with the pins, assuming nonzero tilt, the pin(s) exerts a force on the ball which can be resolved into two vectors - one through the axis of rotation, and one at 90* to the rotation axis. The one through the centre of the axis can't affect the rotational axis, and will cause 'mechanical' deflection for want of a better word, while the force at 90* will cause the axis to precess anticlockwise, straightening up the ball path. The precession caused by high positive side weight is opposite to and thus counters this 'precessive deflection'."
Note that a 'crux' hole is placed in the centre of the grip to increase the asymmetry of the ball, basically directly opposite where the MOtion and Voodoo holes are placed. The difference in roll is directly attributable to the statics. The Brunswick video is meant to show the difference between positive and negative side weights, I have commented on it before. Once the ball flares both cg locations end up on the positive side of the ball - it's a meaningless comparison by someone who had no idea how to properly run the test.

I think the biggest difference and why MO always spins the ball on the Determinator after drilling, is that the Statics Weights are really only used to have something to measure, the spinning ball and 10lb bias make the static weight process a waste of time really.

Especially when you see how far the PSA moves onces drilled.

Thanks for the explanation Robbie..

Been a long time since I've done any experimentation. Since I no longer drill, I'm getting rusty at this type of thing.

In the Motion hole video he says to put hole 10" from pin on symmetrics and 11" from PSA on asymmetrics, did he mean to say 11" from pin? If not that would put motion hole on a asymmetric only about 4 1/4 from pin. Am i thinking correctly?

Just watch out anyone with any kind of hand at the bottom of the swing. I think the odds of someone with a strong release not flaring over this hole are close to zero. You don't want to drill yourself a pumpkin.

I've done 4 of these and by way of comparison, each ball post "MOtion Hole" displayed

a) Greater push down lane
b) Greater angle of entry to the pocket

and most importantly

c) Greater retention of kinetic energy at the pocket leading to more pin action and greater carry.

What I have also observed is it works best for bowlers with less hand and lower ball speeds, hence I believe it would be a very useful drilling technique for rev and speed challenged seniors.

Just watch out anyone with any kind of hand at the bottom of the swing. I think the odds of someone with a strong release not flaring over this hole are close to zero. You don't want to drill yourself a pumpkin.

Jason, I have found the best way to check for flare safety is to draw the hole position in wax pencil 1 1/8" diameter. If the ball comes back without any flares through the wax pencil "hole" then its flare safe. My understanding from the video is you can move the hole an couple of inches laterally to make it flare safe. Your only other consideration then is the statics. If they are going to be a problem, then you would need to pitch the MOtion Hole accordingly to keep the statics legal

Thanks Brenton. That's how I'd do it, if I were in a bowl!

Really good video, but there will be people out there that say oh no not more inovation and progress Dear me!
Oh no!, Not more bloody externally induced hook! Can't these people just stop grabbing the hell out of the ball and let their thumb release while their fingers catch the falling sphere? :)

Just recently had a new MarvelS drilled by EJ in Innisfail with this drilling.
Fantastic results...works really well for the rev challenged like me.
Goes long, turns hard and hits well.

Glad to hear it's a winner.

One unintended consequence I discovered when I picked up a motion hole ball was the huge reduction in gross weight. I thought it was a 14lb ball! Turned out to be a little over 14 1/2 once the leverage crater was installed.

If, like me, you're big on having the correct gross weight (hint- the ball swings your arm, so be fussy), then consider specifying a heavy ball such as a +6oz weight.

Big thanks to Terry Wenban fit teaching me that finer point all those years ago. :)

Back
Top Bottom