Malott Wins 2005 Mile High Classic

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
Ma-lott of Strikes
Lakewood, CO - November 6, 2005

Wes Malott continued his blazing start to the 2005-06 Denny’s PBA Tour season, capturing his first career title in dramatic fashion with a 215-211 win over Mika Koivuniemi in the title match of the 2005 Mile High Classic Sunday at Brunswick Zone Lakewood.

Koivuniemi, the 2004 PBA Player of the Year, was up 19 pins before a failed 3-4-6-7 split conversion in the 9th frame opened the door for Malott, who has advanced to the televised finals in each of the first three events this season.

After converting a 10-pin in the 9th frame, Malott struck out in the 10th forcing Koivuniemi to double. The six-time title winner left the 10-pin on his first shot, however, to give Malott the win.

“This is awesome. I don’t really know what to say,” commented Malott (Austin, Texas). “Finally, some breaks went my way and we got it. That’s what I’ve been working on in the summer, making clutch shots when I need them.”

In the first semifinal, Malott flirted with history as a 6-pin on his final shot against Patrick Allen was the only thing that stood in the way of the 17th nationally televised perfect game in Tour history. Malott defeated the 2005 PBA Player of the Year, 299-236.

Koivuniemi defeated Patrick Healey Jr. in the semifinals, 226-223. Koivuniemi was in control until a failed 2-6-7-10 split conversion in the 10th frame gave Healey life. Healey failed to strike to start his 10th, however, giving Koivuniemi a 226-223 win.

Koivuniemi (Hartland, Mich.) takes home $20,000 for his runner-up finish while Healey (Flower Mound, Texas) and Allen (Tarrytown, N.Y.) both earn $10,000 for their 3rd and 4th place finishes.

Taken from
www.pba.com

Back
Top Bottom