PBA 2006 Discover® Card Windy City Classic

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
Young Gun Wins it For Young One
VERNON HILLS, Ill. - 11/26/2006

Wes Malott won one for the “Young Guns” Sunday, as well as a young one close to his heart.

The 30-year-old won his second career Denny’s PBA Tour title, defeating top-seed Chris Barnes, 269-239, to win the 2006 Discover® Card Windy City Classic at Hawthorn Lanes.

Malott is the first “Young Gun” to win this season in six events. He’s one of a group of bowlers on Tour 30-years-old and younger who captured nine titles last season. Malott also dedicated the win to his three-year-old son, Jordan, who was in the hospital earlier in the week. Jordan was healthy enough to be in the crowd Sunday to enjoy his dad’s second title.

“Toward the end I kind of got emotional. I just had to keep it under control and bring it home,” said Malott (Argyle, Texas). “The last couple weeks I’ve been having a hard time making the clutch shots when I need them. I have to get over the hump and make those shots and I’ll be able to get a few more titles. Parker (Bohn III) and the legends have obviously had a lot of years to gain those titles and it’s going to be a lifetime for us to gain those titles too.”

Malott was nearly perfect for the second time in his career on TV, striking with his first eight shots before leaving a 10-pin in the 9th frame. Last season, he shot 299 in the semifinals en route to his first career title in the 2005 Mile High Classic. A strike with his first ball in the 10th frame clinched the win over Barnes, the eighth consecutive top-seed to fall in stepladder finals.

The third-seeded Malott advanced to the finals with a 239-177 win over second-seed Mike Scroggins. Malott struck in six of the first eight frames while Scroggins opened three times in that span.

Malott first defeated the fourth seed and PBA Hall of Famer Bohn, 268-246, finishing the match with eight consecutive strikes.

In the first match, Bohn defeated fifth-seed Jack Jurek, 268-225, striking with his first seven shots.

Malott earned $25,000 and an exemption for the 2007-08 season, while Barnes (Flower Mound, Texas) took home $13,000 for second. Scroggins (Amarillo, Texas) earned $6,500 for third, Bohn (Jackson, N.J.) earned $5,500 for fourth and Jurek (Lackawanna, N.Y.) took home $5,000 for fifth.

The Denny’s PBA Tour moves to Wickliffe, Ohio for the 2006 Ace Hardware Championship, Nov. 29-Dec. 3, at Freeway Lanes of Wickliffe. The live ESPN televised finals take place Sunday, Dec. 3, at 1 p.m. EST.

Denny’s PBA Tour
2006 Discover® Card Windy City Classic
Hawthorn Lanes
Vernon Hills, Ill.
Sunday, Nov. 26

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

Pos. Name, hometown Total/Games Money
1. Wes Malott, Argyle, Texas 776 (3 games) $25,000
2. Chris Barnes, Flower Mound, Texas 239 (1 game) $13,000
3. Mike Scroggins, Amarillo, Texas 177 (1 game) $6,500
4. Parker Bohn III, Jackson, N.J. 514 (2 games) $5,500
5. Jack Jurek, Lackawanna, N.Y. 225 (1 game) $5,000

SCORES – In the first match, Bohn def. Jurek, 268-225; in the second match, Malott defeated Bohn, 268-246; in the semifinal, Malott defeated Scroggins, 239-177; and in the final, Malott def. Barnes, 269-239.

This is Malott’s second career Denny’s PBA Tour title.

Info from www.pba.com

Well done Wes:D

Frosty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom