Tommy Jones: 2 from 2, Unstoppable

Ash

I can't think of a title.
- From www.pba.com, This guy is just unbelievable. He is my tip to win Player of the year this year...
Unstoppable
Tulsa, OK - October 30, 2005
If there was any doubt Tommy Jones was the hottest bowler on the Denny’s PBA Tour, all doubts have been laid to rest.
Jones defeated Wes Malott in the title match of the 2005 Tulsa Championship, 289-248, striking on his first 10 shots to capture his 6th career Tour title, the $40,000 top prize and an exemption for the 2006-07 season.
“It was an unbelievable day. I had mixed emotions – not because of the 300 game – but because Wes is one of my best friends out here and he’s looking for his first title,” said Jones, whose bid for the 17th nationally televised perfect game in Denny’s PBA Tour history was foiled by a 7-pin on his 11th shot. “I caught the breaks and he didn’t.”
The victory gives Jones four titles in the last seven Tour events, as well as back-to-back wins for the first time in his career. The 26-year-old won the Dydo Japan Cup in September and now has 15 consecutive wins on television, one shy of the Tour record set by Jim Pencak from 1989-91.
Jones (Simpsonville, S.C.) advanced to the title match by defeating six-time Tour winner Chris Barnes (Flower Mound, Texas), 236-213. Jones converted the 3-4-6-7 spare in the 5th frame and struck in four of his final five frames en route to his eighth career title match appearance.
In the other semifinal, Malott advanced to the title match by defeating Mike Wolfe (New Albany, Ind.) in their semifinal, 236-209. Malott struck seven times and marked in every frame while Wolfe failed to convert the “Big Four” (4-6-7-10) and the 7-10 splits in the 4th and 6th frames, respectively.
Malott (Austin, Texas) earned $20,000 for his 2nd place finish while Barnes and Wolfe earned $10,000 apiece for 3rd and 4th, respectively.
The Denny’s PBA Tour moves to Lakewood, Colo. for the 2005 Mile High Classic at Brunswick Zone Lakewood Nov. 2-6. The nationally televised ESPN finals take place Sunday, Nov. 6 at 1 p.m. ET.
In the bag
Jones used the Ebonite Overtime for both his semifinal and final matches.
With nine consecutive strikes in the title match Jones rolled the 2-pin to get his 10th strike. On his 11th shot, the 7-pin almost fell when it was nudged by another pin. However, the 7-pin stood to end Jones' perfect game bid.
Denny’s PBA Tour
2005 Tulsa Championship
Donald W. Reynolds Center
Tulsa, Okla.
Sunday, Oct. 30
Pos. Name, hometown Total/Games Money
1. Tommy Jones, Simpsonville, S.C. 525 (2 games) $40,000
2. Wes Malott, Austin, Texas 484 (2 games) $20,000
3. Chris Barnes, Flower Mound, Texas 216 (1 game) $10,000
4. Mike Wolfe, New Albany, Ind. 209 (1 game) $10,000
SCORES – In the semifinals, Jones def. Barnes, 236-213, and Malott def. Wolfe, 236-209; and in the final, Jones def. Malott, 289-248.
This is Jones’ 6th career Denny’s PBA Tour title.
--------------------------------------------
~ Alan Shephard
TEAM BOWLING BALLS AUSTRALIA
Sydney NSW Outlet
www.bowlingballsaustralia.com.au
www.visionarybowling.com
[email protected]

Undoubtably my fave bowler ever. TJ is just so awesome...gotaa love his style..his shot...his temperment....and his winning streak...hes is one of the most amazing bowlers to watch and i hope he gets what he deserves...pba player of the year

I totally agree, his 6 titles have come inside of 8 months or thereabouts...

freaky... the guy is just white hot right now.

Back
Top Bottom