Allen Adds Another One

jedi_bowler

Is the Force with you?
The defending PBA Player of the Year Patrick Allen earned his sixth career Denny’s PBA Tour title with a 247-218 win over PBA Hall of Famer Tom Baker in the title match of the 2005 Keystone State Championship Sunday at ABC West Lanes.

Allen jumped out to an early lead using an Ebonite The One, striking on his first five shots while Baker was forced to convert three spares over the same span.

“I wanted to get out as fast as I could, and fortunately I kept the clamp down,” said Allen, who won $40,000. “That match could have gone the other way if I didn’t carry those strikes.”

Baker, 51-years-old from King, N.C., tried to put pressure on Allen with strikes in the 7th and 8th frames, but the left-hander matched him both times.

Allen (Tarrytown, N.Y.) defeated Mika Koivuniemi, 226-200, in the semifinals to advance to his 10th career title match in 15 championship round appearances. With the match tied through four frames, Koivuniemi failed to strike in frames 5-9 and opened twice, while Allen had two strikes and three spares.

The loss dropped Koivuniemi to 11-2 all-time against lefties on TV, with both losses coming to Allen, who won three titles and earned $350,740 last season.

Baker defeated Mike Scroggins, 225-188, in their semifinal match. Baker stayed clean with six spares and six strikes while Scroggins opened three times through the first six frames.

Baker earned $20,000 for 2nd while Koivuniemi (Hartland, Mich.) and Scroggins (Amarillo, Texas) won $10,000 apiece for their respective 3rd and 4th place finishes.

The Denny’s PBA Tour moves to Clifton Park, N.Y., for the 2005 Empire State Classic, Dec. 14-18 at Spare Time – Clifton Park. The nationally televised ESPN finals take place Sunday, Dec. 18 at 1 p.m. EST.

Denny’s PBA Tour
2005 Keystone State Championship
ABC West Lanes
Mechanicsburg, Pa.
Sunday, Dec. 11

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND

Pos. Name, hometown Total/Games Money
1. Patrick Allen, Tarrytown, N.Y. 473 (2 games) $40,000
2. Tom Baker, King, N.C. 443 (2 games) $20,000
3. Mika Koivuniemi, Hartland, Mich. 200 (1 game) $10,000
4. Mike Scroggins, Amarillo, Texas 188 (1 game) $10,000

SCORES – In the semifinals, Allen def. Koivuniemi, 226-200, and Baker def. Scroggins, 225-188; and in the final, Allen def. Baker, 247-218.

This is Allen’s sixth career Denny’s PBA Tour title.

Info from www.pba.com

Frosty:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom