Interstate Team Costs.

The sad :( and unfortunate situation with Bowling these days is that it is getting very expensive.

Due to rising costs in everything equipment, travel and bowling, alot of people are finding it increasing difficult, fund raising is not any easy task anymore

If something is not done about the costs sooner or later Representing your State, will only be for the wealthy ( If your lucky to be in this situation please don't take this to heart this comment was not to be derogatory )

( I am not refering to any STATE in Particular ) and a lot of young and promising juniors who dream about representing there state one day, will dream the impossible dream :roll:

Kerri

This topic can be discussed without it being taken so personally. Im sure NQ was being used only as an example, and you could probably substitute any name of a team and the situation in a lot of instances would be the same. Look at WA or TAS - they have to travel just as far (if not further) and im sure their costs are considerable also.

I think this topic can be guided in the right direction and perhaps some ideas and suggestions provided to help save money and make it more cost effective for people wishing to represent their state (or area), and going off the deep end isnt going to help anybody.

Conscience ...

You've dead set got to be joking.

All I asked for was someone to justify spending three grand. If you think you have done that, congratulations. I'm really happy for you.

Obviously it's me that is the reason that bowling isn't in the Olympics, or in the local paper for that matter.

Everyone ... you now have someone to blame.

Broken the code of ethics? ... I've only answered back in the tone I was answered in. You'd be drawing a long bow there.

You've also alleged that our state team is in some way subsidised by the TBAQ? ... I can assure you that is not the case.

You seem to have a lot of pent up anger ... maybe you should go and see someone about that before it festers.

And I didn't call it MANGO LAND, aye ...

Maybe some of the other States could publish their President Shield costs.
It still seems to me that $2800 is a huge amount for 1 junior to pay to go the Nationals.

I was often told when I was growing up that it wasn't always what you said but how you said it that could make all the difference. The genuine questioning of these costs was not asked. Saddly comments and insinuations heavily laced with sarcasim were the beginnings of this forum.

I have watched and read over the last few days regarding this topic and would like to share my veiw point.

I am a parent of a child in the NQ team and yes I, as I am sure all the other parents agree, that costs are high for us to get our kids to these events. None of us are glorified or rich mango farmers (my apologies to all mango farmers) and no we do not have helicopters transporting us around.

Firstly I would like to take my hat off to the new and present NQJC committee, managers and coaches for also being aware of these concerns and I have found them to be more than approachable and helpful in my sharings with them of these said concerns. It has been explained to me that ways of addressing the present costs are being discussed to help resolve this concern for next year and any helpful ideas would, I'm sure, be more than welcome from other parents as myself.

I would also like to applaude them for their openness and honesty in actually giving all parents an itemised account of what we are actually paying. We have been involved in P-S for a few years and have not had such an opportunity to see exactly where it all goes. I have been involved in many committees and know that openness and accountability is not always going to make everyone happy but at least it gives us all a chance to offer suggestions and be part of the solution to start to make the changes to keep these opportunities open for as many of our kids as possible.

I am sure that we are not the only team to encounter these types of challanges and every state/territory will have the opportunity to work together with their people to create unique solutions to overcome their own particular challanges. But I would like to ask, as a concerned parent, for ALL members of the NQ team (kids, parents, NQJC, managers and coaches) to pull together and above all of the sarcasims and undertones of all that you have read on this forum and actively work together to find feasable solutions to the concern of growing costs for next year and the years to come. In the mean time lets focus on getting our kids on a more positive note to a goal that they have all worked hard and overcome their own personal obstacles to accomplish, President Shield!

Re: NQ President Shield Costs?

We recieve nothing financially from TBAQ or recieve the FREE services of the STATE coach (flights, accom and meals must be paid for) but we have all the limitations and constraints put on us so that our precious body can retain it's title and get the government grants that we see nothing of.
What exactly do you expect financially from TBAQ and what exactly do you expect from the State Coach?
What exactly are the limitations and constraints put on you and what exactly are the government grants that you see nothing of?

TBAQ has to justify to the State Government every action it takes. KPIs have to be achieved, and budgets have to be met. Any criticism regarding the State Coach and/or any of the services performed by the State Coach is totally unfounded and based on sheer ignorance.
Gail has a huge regard for NQ and I am sure would be quite distressed to read your comments.

I choose to criticise the NQ Junior Committee basing my criticism on the costs imposed on Junior parents.
You choose to retaliate by attacking TBAQ.
Please be more specific regarding your complaints about TBAQ, rather than generalising because someone dares to suggest that your Juniors can go to the Nationals for less than $2800.

As far as your comments regarding the allocation of Junior Tournaments in NQ, I suggest you speak to the National Office about that, it is not a State issue.

Bear in mind I am not really up on exactly how things work with regard to TBA & TBAQ. However, I am wondering, if it was possible, if a levy was placed on all league bowlers' in Queensland, maybe paid with the annual registration, to fund both NQ & SQ Adult and Junior Rep teams' expenses to Nationals, what sort of amount would we be talking about on each bowlers' registration? Would it really be that much for each person? I have no idea how many registered League bowlers are in Queensland but I imagine the number would be pretty high wouldn't it? Has this been looked at before, is there a reason it has not been done? Even if the funds raised covered travel and accommodation plus Rachuig/ De Veer/President Shield bowling fees, maybe even one shirt, with the rest of expenses met by the individual it would be a lot more affordable.
Just wondering....?

Monster, if Tenpin Bowling membership in Australia was structured differently, what you are suggesting would be quite possible. There would be some issues to be worked out but it could be done.
At the present time no membership funds of any sort go anywhere near any of the State offices in Australia as registration fees go directly to the National body.
TBAQ has long been a strong advocate of change in this area, as unlike most other sporting bodies in this Country nothing is passed on to the individual States. However the National body is either unwilling or unable to change its thinking. Maybe the arrival of ML will now force the hand of TBA to make changes.
In the past, the old ATBC made small airfare subsidies to the States but that has long ceased.
Your suggestion however is most constructive, although I do feel there would be a lot of opposition to subsidising Juniors unless the present NQ budget is drastically pruned.

A break down of all cost's for all rep team's up front .
Then u now what u are paying for :!: If u are pay for other people u will know, no hidden cost's is all people ask for.
As costs go up and u whant to know why but u feel like a s*** if u ask.

Gary.............

Perhaps the money be paid annually directly to TBAQ. I would be more than prepared to pay an extra amount annually. Has anyone got any idea how many registered league bowlers there are in QLD? Would a levy of say $50 a year per bowler be enough? A lot of sports have a registration fee each year, sometimes $100 or so. Anybody got any idea of what it would take?

I do believe if it were to be done it should include Juniors as well, they are the key to the strength of the future of the sport.

And yes Gary, I agree with you on that. Seems a person can't question anything without being accused by somebody of breaking TBA code of conduct or such. Some people need to mellow out a bit. Open conversations on things can be an aid to improving things, we all want the same things in the end. It is people like Spanner that will see things grow and change because he is not afraid to speak up and question is there a way to improve things.

The National Office may be in a position to know those figures. The State offices don't know them.
The ironic point about this whole issue of costs is that when the National Body decided to split Queensland into North and South it was supposedly to benefit NQ because of the travelling costs involved.
That went well didn't it?
Even today we see SQ managing to send their team away for around $800 to $1000. 2 Managers, 2 coaches and a 14 person playing squad.
Works for them.

unfortunately going to president shield is a costly excercise for juniors in north queensland and i speak from personal experience but at the end of the day the parents are happy to support their childrens dreams of representing their state in their chosen sport .. i know mine were which was why i was allowed to go ..

Toddes said:
"I would also like to applaude them for their openness and honesty in actually giving all parents an itemised account of what we are actually paying. We have been involved in P-S for a few years and have not had such an opportunity to see exactly where it all goes. I have been involved in many committees and know that openness and accountability is not always going to make everyone happy but at least it gives us all a chance to offer suggestions and be part of the solution to start to make the changes to keep these opportunities open for as many of our kids as possible."

In regards to that statement all you have ever had to do is ask for an itemised account and its available for you .. we always got one when it was asked for ..

Monster ..

That's a great idea with the levy. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be $50 for the year though. I think if you levied each player $5 you'd have heaps.

This would have to be on the bowlers though. Some centres around actually pay the TBA levies without passing it on to the bowlers.

The centre I bowl at only has about 150 league bowlers, but still .. at $5 a head, that would be $750 towards costs from one centre alone.

Peter Martin
aka the spanner.

P.S. This has been a sledge free posting. I hope people noticed.

Spanner the levy is a good idea but i think us bowlers already pay enough money through out the year maybe the centres could help?

Our Centre would never agree to that. We do spend so much already, what's an extra $5 or even $50 when a person spends thousands a year anyway. It would take a lot of pressure off Rep teams and ensure the absolute best available team in most cases.

Absolutely correct Monster. Think about it ... if the costs to take a team away were taken away, think of how many people you would get to the roll-offs.

Back
Top Bottom