Improvements needed for Champion of Champions

Deadman Inc

1990 − 2011. Retired 2012 − 2013. Back Again 2014
I believe the Youth tournament scene in Queensland suffered another severe blow on the weekend. It was a good opportunity for the tournament director to patch up some of the massive wounds she left after the farce that was the MtGravatt Youth Cup back in February.

Starting with the prizefunds I couldn't understand how the boys and girls payouts were the same based on different numbers. Just seemed a bit unfair and unjust that the boys had to donate a portion of their entry fee too the girls prize fund. I support the idea of females competing for the same prize money as the males but not at the expense of the male prizefund. In previous years making the top 12 you were guaranteed your money back. This year you had to finished 8th. The prize money from 1st to 7th was the same as previous years and although places 8 to 12th paid more than in previous years, it still wasn't enough to cover the heavily increased entry fee. Regarding entry fee, in 2005 the entry fee was $150 with 12th place paying $145, last year I think it was about $175 with 12th paying $175, this years entry fee was $190 with 12th paying $175. So this year if you bowled well enough to make the cut didn't mean you you were going to get your money back. Not to mention free entry for the winners for next years entry has been scrapped. Now looking at the flaws of this years prize fund it was inevitable numbers would be down. As it was we were 7 males and i think 3 females short off a full prize fund. Now unlike MtGravatt youth we were told of the prize fund being reduced before matchplay but again I was surprised by how much it dropped. I finished 7th and received $165. I have to think, is AMF ripping us off??

The organizing of this tournament was the worst I've ever seen. Not only were the dates changed to a time when students are in exam periods and the clashing of another local tournament, we heard next to nothing from the TD leading up to the tournament giving bowlers very short notice to book flights and accommodation, it took an eternity for the entry forms to come out and we hardly ever got updates and squad listings on this forum leading up to the tournament. The communication between the TD and the bowlers was atrocious and unacceptable.

Sue Fryer and the sponsorship from Greg and Colleen Sharp has made this tournament one of the best for many years. Although I am no longer eligible to bowl next year as I have aged out, I hope to see next years tournament back to the success it once was. The bowlers and sponsors deserve better

I have to think, is AMF ripping us off??

What i think a lot of people might not realise is that one of the major reasons running tournies in AMF centres atm is the increased difficulty faced by Tournament organisers to get a competitive game rate...the current AMF game rate is somewhere around $5.10-$5.30 per game. Compared to an independant centre that can run their own game rates...it is a lot harder to run big prize funds in an AMF centre. At a centre level AMF needs to have these game rates to ensure that those above centre level dont see red about them not making enough money which they could off socials who are happy to pay $20 for 2 games. an example is that if a person is bowling 10 games qualifying and 15 games match play and pays $200 entry.

AMF - 25 games at $5.10 = $127.50 game fees
$72.50 prize fund

Independant 25 games at $3 = $75 game fees
$125 prize fund

Straight away thats over $50 per person extra into prize fund...

My 2c

AMF - 25 games at $5.10 = $127.50 game fees
$72.50 prize fund

Independant 25 games at $3 = $75 game fees
$125 prize fund

Straight away thats over $50 per person extra into prize fund...

My 2c

Finally, someone who knows what they're talking about, shines some light on the amount of money AMF charges for the game rates, compared to independant centres.

Considering AMF's parent company has a multi-million dollar cheque account, why don't they support major tournaments and a few local tournaments a year. I'm sure they could make most of that back with league practice games (or people a few days before tournaments), or even make a few bucks with the socials and their liquor purchases.

There's my 2 cents worth.

Quite stupid really when they are charging $16 for 4 'League' practise games, so 4 dollars each. Make a deal with AMF, 12 games Qualifying, so $48 for games, the rest for the prize fund..

cut to 12, each play each other once then a postional round, which means another $48 dollars which would come out.

My 2c

Ash

Back
Top Bottom