I'm more than a little annoyed right now

In W.A. we get great support from the Amf centers and also the independant centers but in WA they have to be cause all the city centers are within 45 minutes of each other so i guess we are luck in one way over here .

It's just like anything other retail business. People will shop around the get the best deal, bowling is no different. Other qualities are also taken into account as well, customer service, value, product quality (as in lane conditions). Bowling centres are all competing for your dollar, it's up to them to attract you in and spend your money. As for the people in NT, build more centres!!!

KJ, I understand what you are saying but having been a State Team Member for a long time I can honestly say that all the practice in the world is not going to help get used to the lane conditions, every year the conditions have been changed for the nationals and even the national conditions are different than that of Rachuig.

Practice in the host centre is really only going to help get used to the approaches and the lighting.

Back to the game rate, I can't explain the difference in game rates, but as you said earlier it is wrong to charge 1 group 1 rate and another a different 1 especially if you are all part of the same squad.

I agree with some of the comments regarding the way league bowlers are treated by AMF centres - not all I admit - but take my home centre AMF Moonah Bowl for example.
It is an absolute disgrace. The lanes are the same ones put there when then centre opened in 1962 and are almost worn through, the pin spotters are the same ones put there in 1962 (and they were 8-years old then). These are constantly breaking down to the point where the maintenance people are having to go to the local founderies for parts to these machines (AMF don't make them anymore) The ball returns are the originals from 1962 - about a month ago I stood on an approach and had one catch fire right next to me
icon_rolleyes.gif

And have had the strange situation of having to bowl on FOUR different pairs of lanes during a 4-man league night - all with different conditions too - now that's a skill-tester if I've ever seen one
icon_biggrin.gif

Three years ago AMF spent (so I was told by management) $17000 on a pretty looking mural for the walls and masking units most of which has been vandalised anyway, and a new ceiling
The Accu-Score computers are that hard to read that one needs to find binoculars to see them.
Spending over $40 a week in the place as do many others, I hope someone from AMF reads this and actually fixes the centre up and dispenses with that "oh it's only Tasmania" syndrome that they have had for TOO LONG.
Or are the paying league members (who are generally poorly treated) who pay the same money as interstate players somehow inferior
icon_mad.gif
Come on AMF give the Southerners a decent centre.

Last weekend we had our ACT & Southern NSW Junior President Shield Trials held in ACT.

On Sunday check in time was 8.30am. One small problem with this was that
icon_sad.gif
WODEN BOWL
icon_mad.gif
wasn't even open!!!!

We arrived at 8.15am and there were already other bowlers waiting outside for the bowl to open.

Oh, along with the bowlers and parents wanting to get into the bowl we had the officials running the event, and also the MECHANIC - who needed to carry out his business of oiling the lanes before we could start.
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif
icon_confused.gif

I guess there were a few releaved parents to find McDonalds around the corner, as the Cafe didn't open for quite some time after we eventually got into the bowl!!!!

Sorry, but I really don't think that this is a good way to run a business or to get bowlers wanting to come back to your centre.

JUST MY THOUGHTS - I KNOW THERE WERE MORE PARENTS PEEVED OFF THAN ME, BUT I JUST DON'T HOLD BACK ANYMORE!

Regards
Sue

I was also at the shield roll offs in Canberra and could not agree more with Sue. This was an extremly poor display of how representative bowlers are treated.

In addition to the cafe not opening to well after 9am, when it did finally open there was only 1 person serving for the rest of the day. If you want lunch, you had to wait like most 45minutes to get it.

One more thing well done to the mechanic who got in as quick as possible and got his job done so that the kids could get on the lanes without wasting anymore time. I did also hear that he asked for a set of keys the night before so he could come in early and do the lanes. Good thinking! Shame management did not agree.

AMF centres every1's got a story bout em and no 1 really likes em! I bowl 4 one and i get $2.50 games coz i bowl in the junior group there. Now X-rd where i bowl is pretty good xcept 4 prices at the cafe the staff r friendly and when the desk aint busy i can usually talk 2 one of the staff ! But in other AMF centres in Adelaide i pay a gold card rate 4 games! But when u think thats good (my $2.50 games) in a couple of weeks we HAVE to pay $9.90 and we HAVE 2 bowl 3 games! 2 yrs ago we only had 2 pay bout $2 a game which over 3 games would of bn $6 but now its $3.30 more and we have had no nu equipment we've had a nu oiling machine and thats it so i dont no were the rest of the money has gone but were paying 4 some1 else getting all the stuff well thats wat it seems ne way
icon_sad.gif

Hey pplz

i am also a junior at X-road in adelaide and i also pay $2.50 for games. I think that this should apply for every AMF center in a hope that more juniors will join cos they/we are the future for bowling.

If anyone agree's with me, please let me know!!

thanks and c ya
Brad

when i first started bowling the firsts nine years of my bowling life was spent in an amf centre.
a big group of us juniors decided to change centres to a brunswick centre
and let me tell you i get about 4 games there thatit used to cost me for just one game at amf
just thought i would put that in

and i do agree with u brad
i agree that we are the futire and we are what makes this sport
and i do believe that
and i feel for all u people who are putting up with the crap from amf
the guy that is still the owner of the amf centre i used to bowl in only believes in one thing
how much money he can get
thats all he wants and he does not treat his staff with n e respect i still go back there and talk with people and its still the same as it was when i left
except there is only about 4 juniors there now
cheers

i'm also from cross road in adelaide and they give us a pretty good rate even though it has to go up next year thanks to amf head office. the manager even sponsered me to go into a tournment, so i'll have to say that cross roads is a pretty good amf center, i'm not sure about others though.

down at X roads i have to say that they look after me.
the only thing that s***'s me off is that X roads has the worst reputaion for being dry, and theres no doubt about it, they are!!!!all they use is the cheap crap for oil to save money.
maybe thats why they look after us because they've got left over money from saving on the cheap oil.

and 1 other thing,if they want to keap there only good bowlers they got left and actract old bowlers back, then there gonna have to bye the good oil or we "the goodbowlers" are gonna go somewhere else where there is decent oil!!!!

matty

Dear Matt K.
Re - complaining about conditions at x-roads , My how easy it would be if you could bowl on ditches everywhere you go...It's not what's it's all about to be good at any upper level of this game. In this day and age you can't tell me you can't adapt to x-roads with the multitude of equipment around today, different type of drilling and adjusting your style or line when you bowl....bowling in a different centre aint going to make or address this problem. If you want to improve your game you have to conquer every condition , because when you travel to tournaments australia wide or overseas you don't get a choice of conditions----you play with what you get!!! I know it is expensive to aquire a large arsenal of equipment these days but you make do with what you have...I personal didn't bother with equipment changing to much I just adjusted my approach and release to compensate. x-roads have been dry for a long time and that's the way it is..make the most of it...if they lose bowlers because it's not there ideal condition...then may I suggest you or whoever should give up now and try something more easier...
bye

whoever you are. you do have a good point. i've been bowling there for 5 years and the conditions havnt changed. I shouldnt really complain but i do because when i bowl on oil i bowl better. With the equipment that i've got i should improve my mental game, stop complaining and get the job done!! -

Thank you for your opinion
Matty

hey dion i wasnt just refering to me....there are quite a few good bowlers at x roads...they r: brad, alex, u and ash r up and coming, kezz and lauren r all up there and wat i was saying is that they could lose bowlers if the lanes dont inprove....but i spos thats not a real big problem because im the only cranker there and needs a fair bit of oil to use my prefered balls eg: the apex.
but not to worry coz they should be getting better and ive made do with them for 5 yrs so i can wait another 1 to 2 yrs for better lanes cant i!!!!!

well ive said more then i need to so im outta ere!!!!

catchyaz later!!!!

matty

i agree matty
x-roads are probably the worst oiled AMF lanes..
but i dont really need oil seeing i dont put on as many revs as u so i sort of like the lanes just that ya gotta get used to every condition that there is...
whether there bone dry or got lotsa oil(which i sorta hate)

alex

Hey pplz

For myself, a person who doesnt rev the ball, i can adjust to the different lane condidtions. I am now trying a new line for the wet lanes at x-road and it is working. There are some bowlers who just cant be bothered adjusting so they blame the lanes. I myself can blame other things for bad bowling but if you dont adjust, then you cant complain

that is my view

c ya later
brad

Heya pplz

okey dokey,i know that no-one has written on here for i while but i have another thing to say. well, since last week, X-Road i adelaide has had new Monitors put up. I know the old ones were getting hard to read, but i really think that the money could have been spent on re-doing the lanes. We missed out on Synthetic this year, we dont even get a re-surface ( i THINK i emphasise THINK that we are only getting a light sanding or something). I think that it is F****d how things like murals, monitors and small stuff takes precidence over the only thing that matters in bowling, the lanes, machines and ball returns. what about the poor ppl who in the old days had to write thier scores down. Monitors can wait, lanes need to be attended to first

that is my view

c ya later
Brad

Brad, you have to realise that in the view of AMF, social play is where the money is, ie higher profit margin and happier customers. They don't care whether or not the conditions are good or not, their only concern is the music is good, the lighting system is good and the booze is cold.

League bowlers who complain to them all the time are a nuisance to them and show a lower profit margin. The fact that they are the staple income of the business is more or less immmaterial to them.

Might have something to do with their current state of bankruptcy.

Back
Top Bottom