If ball numbers were reduced what would you pack?

John_Velo

G’Day All,

Another ten minutes to bang done a question and thought.

Jockey posted a great question in his “A Question for all of you” post. A number of people have said reduce the number of balls allowed per person. So to follow on with that, here is my question.

The TBA decides to through down a ball restriction. Two for league, three for tournaments, what do you pack in your kit?

League Example.

1x spare ball
1x resin symmetrical ball long pin layout – Strong Arc layout

Tournament Example
1x spare ball
1x resin symmetrical ball long pin layout – strong Arc Layout
1x resin asymmetrical shorter pin layout – Skid flip layout.

Other items, Polish and some sanding disks to set up in a practice game before play begins.

What would you pack?

League:
A polished pearl reactive, 5 inch pin to pap
A weak solid reactive at 2000 or 4000 with a 5 inch pin to pap

Tournaments:
Same as above plus,
Asymmetric solid at 2000 with a 45x5x45 drilling
Also different grit pads for adjusting surfaces on the fly

Spare balls are a waste... Flatten your wrist and throw it straight

1 x Virtual Gravity
1 x Anarchy

Thats all..... (pretty much what I travel with now)

Hey John,
go onto page 6 of this Main Forum, and have a read of the posts on " only ONE BALL allowed." You may find it interesting and related to this. Jim

League:

1x Symmetrical pearl pollished, drilled for length & control
1x Symmetrical solid @ 4000 grit, drilled for strong arc (just incase there's plenty of carry down - that is rare here..)

Tournament:

Just add 1x asymmetrical pollished pearl, stacked drilling.

I'm with androoo, flatten your wrist for spares. & Also, having abbrasives on hand means technically you have more than just 3 different types of reaction... essentially widening your arsenal.

Hi Guys,

Sounds like the theme is pretty much the same, one strong drilled ball and one drilled for a little length with surface management being the key.

On the spare ball side, I agree flatten the shot. I only recently bought my first ever spare ball and can see the attraction. But, and just a hypothetical point, from the thread this was created out of “A Question For You All” by Jockey’s point.

Point 3. All bowlers are allowed to use a maximum of three balls on a Sports pattern, if that pattern is listed on the allowable sports patterns on the TBA website. If the pattern does not appear on the TBA website then it will be classed as a THS and the two ball restriction will apply. One of the balls must have a plastic or urethane surface. Note this restriction also applies to the practice play component of the Sports league.

What if the TBA said you had to have one plastic or urethane ball in your league or tournament kit? What would you choose knowing one ball is already chosen for you? Further, what would your spare ball be, plastic or an old high performance urethane ball?

Hi Guys,

Sounds like the theme is pretty much the same, one strong drilled ball and one drilled for a little length with surface management being the key.

On the spare ball side, I agree flatten the shot. I only recently bought my first ever spare ball and can see the attraction. But, and just a hypothetical point, from the thread this was created out of “A Question For You All” by Jockey’s point.

Point 3. All bowlers are allowed to use a maximum of three balls on a Sports pattern, if that pattern is listed on the allowable sports patterns on the TBA website. If the pattern does not appear on the TBA website then it will be classed as a THS and the two ball restriction will apply. One of the balls must have a plastic or urethane surface. Note this restriction also applies to the practice play component of the Sports league.

What if the TBA said you had to have one plastic or urethane ball in your league or tournament kit? What would you choose knowing one ball is already chosen for you? Further, what would your spare ball be, plastic or an old high performance urethane ball?

John

Thanks for starting this thread as it will promote further debate on whether this could be a viable solution to the problem plagueing our sport.

I placed the option of the spare ball being either a Plastic or Urethane surfaced ball on the basis that I personally use a Red Pearl Hammer for my spare ball and not a plastic ball.

Yours and other points here throw up the possibility that more skillful bowlers could take advantage of this point to use say in my case an original Red Hammer to use as an additional weapon for the first ball and not just use this ball exclusively for spares.

In answer to your question:

For the THS I would use the Pearl Hammer to meet the spare ball provision and the other ball would be the one I have found in outside league practice to play the best on that condition (I am talking about my home lanes here). I would regularly conduct practice sessions when I find that the lanes are altering a bit or the THS patterns changes to review the first ball selection. Currently it would one of the Hammer Black Widow range balls.

For a Tournament there are four scenarios:

Where the pattern is known and TBA approved then I would take my most aggressive ball and a more tamer ball and depending on outside of tournament practice results on such pattern use either the Red Urethane Hammer or Red Pearl Hammer for the spare ball.

Where the pattern is not known and TBA approved I would go with the same first ball strategy and use the Red Urethane hammer as the spare ball.

Where the pattern is known but not TBA approved and therefore the THS rule applies I would use my most aggressive ball and the Red Urethane hammer or Red Pearl Hammer as the spare ball (depending on my practice results on such pattern).

Where the pattern is not known and not TBA approved and therefore the THS rule applies I would use my most aggressive ball and the Red Urethane hammer as the spare ball.

It will be up to the TBA to ensure the rules are layed out clear and concise enough to ensure that bowlers cannot find a way to exploit them. Although using a urethane ball for the spare ball does offer the bowler an extra first ball option I think this is ok as long as the drilling of the Urethane ball is straight forward. However my last statement here throws up another can of worms on policing.

My strategy is to ensure I can spare proficiently while using either the Red Pearl or Red Urethane surfaced ball so that when I choose to designate the Red Urethane ball as my spare ball in any session then it should be transparent in my scoring results. It also encourage people to practice to learn how they should address particular patterns by trying out different lines with what balls they have in order to find their ultimate scoring combination of line and equipment on that pattern.

I only carry 3 that I use constantl, and they are:

Storm Invasion
Roto Grip Mutant Cell
Roto Grip Cell Pearl

Hi Andrew,

I take it you are one of the rare ones these days. Does it feel odd only making one trip from the car park. For league I only take two. Having been back bowling only a five month I am still at the stage where it's enough. I just decide what to take before I leave the house.

Which of your three would you drop if one had to be a plastic?

John

I only take three with me whenever I bowl.

Currently:

Black Widow
Black Widow Sting
Red Pearl Hammer

However I do have some more older balls that I can grab if I want to but I don't take them with me to league and rearely bring them out for tournaments.

I would drop the Mutant Cell, because, I can use the Pearl Cell ni most conditions (I find this a very versatile ball), the Mutant Cell I have is drilled very similar to the Storm Invasion, just has different surface finish now (After the mutant got stuck in a machine a while back!!)

I have never owned a plastic, many years ago, I used to just throw my reactive at 10pins & 7's, and miss them quite regularly, but since I had some coaching from Eric Jeng a couple of years ago, he taught me to flatten out my hand & shoot straight at spares with any ball I like, whilst this did make my ave drop for a while, I persisted, and these days, though I still miss the occassional corner pin, I find my spare game has got a lot better than it ever was... So I would only ever use a plastic, if it was enforced in a tournament.

From the equipment that I use currently , I would pick the Track Kinetic (dull with pin over the fingers) and a Brunswick Twisted Fury (same drilling with less surface). Both balls are 15lb. Third ball would be a 14lb Hammer Backlash or an Ebonite Tornado. You learnt quickly how to throw a straight shot at Rockhampton prior to the synthetic lanes being installed 2 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom