How to shatter a bowlers ambition

Peter,
I have a newsflash, Rachuig is not floundering at all. A team is 5 and that is how many people play in a game. The best five bowlers performing. This is not a social event where every player wins a prize unless the team has performed at their best. The extra two players give depth to the team. This is our flagship event and everyone at the Rachuig dinner gave a standing applause to Ashley when he made Tasmania's passionate acceptance of the coveted trophy which they won. Let me tell you the other teams would do anything to have their hands on that trophy.

The best 5 team members play. If you want to play a minimum of games regardless of your score then this is not the competition for you. This is our "Sheffield Shield" or similar and everyone playing this event is passionate about it.

Well done to AMP and the girls, they are tough competitors and the Tassie Men were clearly the best "team" this year. Well done to Qld for their Combined Teams Win (TD Memorial) because the flack that team has endured and come out of makes them great competitors.

Bring on Rachuig 2010

Unfortunately June, Rachuig has lost allot of it's appeal to many an elite bowler that bowl today and in the past even.
I assume you base allot of your facts to you own Rachuig experience or you just making judgment based on what you see and hear?

If this the premier event then where are all the premier bowlers other than the ones already bowling........

I'm sure this country has got many of the greats not out there!

I'm hoping in my life time to see the Rachuig that was once something to strive for in making the team.......

June ...

In my first post I said that Rachuig was ok ... as in 'not dying'. No newsflash needed here. I was there watching.

However ... you'd expect the Nationals in general to bring in more than 11 of the top 20 bowlers in the country (mens rankings). Hopefully the money might help.

Congrats to the teams that won ... yes, they thoroughly deserved it. And I wont go into post mortems about why some teams didn't win. All i have said is that there are costs involved, and for those costs, most people would like to throw a ball.

Regards

Marto.

Peter,
I have a newsflash, Rachuig is not floundering at all. A team is 5 and that is how many people play in a game. The best five bowlers performing. This is not a social event where every player wins a prize unless the team has performed at their best. The extra two players give depth to the team. This is our flagship event and everyone at the Rachuig dinner gave a standing applause to Ashley when he made Tasmania's passionate acceptance of the coveted trophy which they won. Let me tell you the other teams would do anything to have their hands on that trophy.

The best 5 team members play. If you want to play a minimum of games regardless of your score then this is not the competition for you. This is our "Sheffield Shield" or similar and everyone playing this event is passionate about it.

Well done to AMP and the girls, they are tough competitors and the Tassie Men were clearly the best "team" this year. Well done to Qld for their Combined Teams Win (TD Memorial) because the flack that team has endured and come out of makes them great competitors.

Bring on Rachuig 2010

Why is it that we have a draft then. Why is it that a state can not field a team of their own bowlers.

i was at rachiug this year i bowled very poorly and i had no problem sitting out , if my fellow team mates perform better then i do then they should be the ones in the five.
rachuig is a great event i have enjoyed it 2 years in a row.
a few things i would like to mention is the following,

1. minimum games or a cap is a ridiculous idea in rachiug because you wont have your best five bowling all the time. that is an idea for holt because its handicapped and everyone has a chance to win.

2.simply put if your not there to witness the way the centre plays and how the team performs as a group, you cant fully understand what we went through, i take the greatest pride when i put on a south australian rachiug shirt and i leave nothing behind.

3.1 game , 2 games , no games bowlers in a rachiug team should be exstatic they made the team to begin with alot of bowlers will never have this experience. had i bowled zero games sure a part of me would be dissapointed but i would understand the reasons behind it.

4.finally a topic like this should have never been posted on here there are better ways of going about it ,this way just damages this state, this sport and the bowlers that went the distance to compete.

yours sincerley Chris Walden.

i was at rachiug this year i bowled very poorly and i had no problem sitting out , if my fellow team mates perform better then i do then they should be the ones in the five.
rachuig is a great event i have enjoyed it 2 years in a row.
a few things i would like to mention is the following,

1. minimum games or a cap is a ridiculous idea in rachiug because you wont have your best five bowling all the time. that is an idea for holt because its handicapped and everyone has a chance to win.

2.simply put if your not there to witness the way the centre plays and how the team performs as a group, you cant fully understand what we went through, i take the greatest pride when i put on a south australian rachiug shirt and i leave nothing behind.

3.1 game , 2 games , no games bowlers in a rachiug team should be exstatic they made the team to begin with alot of bowlers will never have this experience. had i bowled zero games sure a part of me would be dissapointed but i would understand the reasons behind it.

4.finally a topic like this should have never been posted on here there are better ways of going about it ,this way just damages this state, this sport and the bowlers that went the distance to compete.

yours sincerley Chris Walden.

What he said:cool:

I'm afraid you guy's are SICKO'S, none of you should call yourself a Sportsman, to have someone Qualify for the Team and sit on the bench after spending all that money is really SAD, and to actually think that somebody will Bowl a better game than them, than you think your Nostradamus as well.

None of you who thinks like that is worth talking to.

JMHO
willey.

I'm afraid you guy's are SICKO'S, none of you should call yourself a Sportsman, to have someone Qualify for the Team and sit on the bench after spending all that money is really SAD, and to actually think that somebody will Bowl a better game than them, than you think your Nostradamus as well.

None of you who thinks like that is worth talking to.

JMHO
willey.

You are entitlled to your opinion. As I am entitled to mine. Your petty name calling is not required in what has (til now) been a reasonably friendly debate.

Disappear please.

Just like taking someone to the Olympics and not letting them Swim or Run because they are not going to win a Medal.

your a Sad lot.

willey

if as a coach, manager team selector, you ar enot prepared to play a person, then tell that person he/she is off the team and save him/her the money, the potential emotional harm embarrasment, first up, but then dont complain when next year or the following years or even that year, that having only 6 players you cant perform.

Making the team can be and should be hard and, you are (had making the team) deserve to be there, the state association has accepted your money, you have done all fund raising and committments required.

yes Rachuig is about winning, but please folks, we are an amature sport, there is no professional level of tenpin bowling in this country so comparing tenpin bowling to cricket, football (any code) is just stupid and has no relevance.

We "pay" to play, we are devoted to our sport, both coaches, managers and particpants, all members of the team pay about the same to go over to the nationals.

Coachs, managers, players all have to take the same time off work, and none are paid for their time, it is a privilage to be appart of the "State" Rachuig Team.

however, as eveyone in that team has paid the same amount or similar amounts of money, and they are there for the love of the sport and their love of their state, they i think have a right to bowl a minimum number of games, be it 3/day.

some questions below

has you been involved in a team where one member has bowled less than 9 games? and if yes, how would you of coped if they were not there and the team had one less bowler/member to help share the costs around.?

and before you ask, yes I have bowled both Rachuig and President shield and i am also a level 1 coach.

Just like taking someone to the Olympics and not letting them Swim or Run because they are not going to win a Medal.

your a Sad lot.

willey

poor example Willey.

But since your going down this road. Go and have a look at the olympic softball, netball & hockey squads. Check for me and see how many went away and never got a game. I stopped counting after a while.

Would reducing a team to 6 bowlers make much of a difference, say first 5 past the post plus 1 selection? Makes for a lot less chance one bowler will sit out so much, and it's unlikely you will have two injuries in the same team....

90/6 = 15 games each....it's no guarantee but if two bowlers bowl all 18, the sixth person still gets 9 games.....more games, less starters to share them with.

Both sides of the debate strongly supported, good to see.....but like Brenton said, there's no need for the name calling.

6 bowlers sounds like a good idea Michael.

Might even help the states that have a problem filling all 7 places in there teams?

cheers

Tony

As many have said in the past, "why are there so many elite bowlers (past & present) out there that dont bowl Rachuig.

Its easy to say you take pride in representing your State when the State association covered the cost in the past, but when the gravy train stops so did the pride.

The elite bowlers of today that dont bowl Rachuig because there is no financial return involved in Rachuig.

Bowlers like Gary Crick, Ashley Riley, Paul Trotter, Brenton Davy, (until he retired) Ann-Marie Putney just to name a few off the top of my head & many others that turn up every year whether at there cost or paid for in the past. These are the people that make Rachuig what it is. Not the people that only turn up when its compulsory for National selection or a free trip as in the past.

Everyone that rolls off in there State trials knows what costs are invovled & the format for Rachuig when you go away. 7 people per team. 5 bowl, 2 on the bench. You bowl crap, you spend more time on the bench than you do on the lanes. Thats the way its been for the last 23 years since I 1st bowled Rachuig.

If you dont like the format/rules your choice is easy DONT BOWL

Oh, and Willey

What Brenton said,

Disappear please.

I think everyone has gotten a little sidetracked here. The original post was asking how to help someone cope with not bowling a game. Not whether there should be a minimum number of games etc.
I can see both sides of the debate and would think that if a team member bowled below his potential, he would expect to be spending some time on the pines. Having said that though, I would also think that if a bowler who is not doing so well to step up and ask to be benched for the benefit of the team.
Personally, If I was selected in a squad and the team bowling were bowling well enough to secure all their points, I would not expect to get a run. Yes, I would be disappointed but as it has been said, it is a team event and the team should come before the individual.

So how do you overcome the disappointment?

I haven't been in that situation before ( not getting a run) but have been on the sidelines while the team was performing well. I have to say I didn't enjoy it much but realised that the team was going well and ultimately the team comes first. As for overcoming the disappointment, it would drive me to improve my game and come back better and stronger next year.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter,

OK so what you are saying is top 5 plus 2 reserves essentially.

If that's the way Rachuig is to be, fine, but it shouldn't be sold for roll-offs as "teams of 7" being sent to the event then.

Maybe the best solution is to make it 5 only and send a reserve at a much reduced cost, or make the 6th member/reserve the manager who can step in and bowl in the case of genuine injury.

Rachuig is about winning, but please folks, we are an amature sport, there is no professional level of tenpin bowling in this country so comparing tenpin bowling to cricket, football (any code) is just stupid and has no relevance.

I don't know about you but I would certainly like to see the sport grow to not just being a small amateur sport. I think you'll struggle to find bowlers who think otherwise too. Now for that to happen, what should be the most prestigious teams tournament in Australia should:

1. Comprise of state teams only. There shouldn't be any invitational teams.
2. Have an exciting TV finals format.
3. Be sponsored to attract the best bowlers in the country, not who is willing to pay. It should be a free ride for those good enough to be selected.
4. Be marketed as the best tournament in Australia to the media.

I honestly think the number of players and how many games they need to play is irrelevant. This is because if those 4 points are taken care of, you will only get the best bowlers in each state, and every bowler will want to represent their state. If a bowler doesn't get the opportunity to bowl games because his/her teammates are performing at a higher level on the day, the bowler would no doubt feel disappointed but hopefully would also recognise the prize at stake.

It is certainly a long way away from the reality of the current format/system for Rachuig, but I still wouldn't think in this situation that bowler would feel depressed/cheated or whatever if they are really dead set on becoming an elite bowler. Take it on the chin, learn from it, move on.

The elite bowlers of today that dont bowl Rachuig because there is no financial return involved in Rachuig

Rob, What financial gain did we have back in the 80's...........Zero (besides my side wagers with Victoria...Shhh!!)

Sure it didn't cost as much to bowl, that's about it really............

However there still was some costs we had to pay...... I do have a blazer that cost me $300 from Fletcher Jones..........lol...

It is obvious that if your not bowling all that well, you won't get many games.
I still feel the lack of depth is missing from the past, but that's life, doesn't seem to many are filling in the gaps of old.

Like all good things in life, it must sooner or later come to and end...............
maybe not the way it means literally.

Time will tell............

I think everyone has gotten a little sidetracked here. The original post was asking how to help someone cope with not bowling a game. Not whether there should be a minimum number of games etc.
I can see both sides of the debate and would think that if a team member bowled below his potential, he would expect to be spending some time on the pines. Having said that though, I would also think that if a bowler who is not doing so well to step up and ask to be benched for the benefit of the team.
Personally, If I was selected in a squad and the team bowling were bowling well enough to secure all their points, I would not expect to get a run. Yes, I would be disappointed but as it has been said, it is a team event and the team should come before the individual.

So how do you overcome the disappointment?

I haven't been in that situation before ( not getting a run) but have been on the sidelines while the team was performing well. I have to say I didn't enjoy it much but realised that the team was going well and ultimately the team comes first. As for overcoming the disappointment, it would drive me to improve my game and come back better and stronger next year.

Just my 2 cents.

Your right, didnt take long to go off topic. Theres plenty of experts out there saying things need to change. Like Cara said at the Rachuig dinner, if people think they can do a better job than the people doing the job now, there the people there looking for. Put your hand hand up or shut up.

Your also right,

"how do you overcome the disappointment"

you go home work on your game so that when you try out again you force your way onto the lanes by putting the scores on the board. Rachuig is a team event. Nobody likes sitting on the bench. If you are happy sitting on the bench you shouldnt be in the team. The success of the team should be more important then the disappointment of 1 or 2 bowlers.

Rob, What financial gain did we have back in the 80's...........Zero (besides my side wagers with Victoria...Shhh!!)

Sure it didn't cost as much to bowl, that's about it really............

However there still was some costs we had to pay...... I do have a blazer that cost me $300 from Fletcher Jones..........lol...

It is obvious that if your not bowling all that well, you won't get many games.
I still feel the lack of depth is missing from the past, but that's life, doesn't seem to many are filling in the gaps of old.

Like all good things in life, it must sooner or later come to and end...............
maybe not the way it means literally.

Time will tell............

Yeah i've still got the blazer to. 1 of cost didnt have to fork out $300 every year.

When I said financial gain, Didnt cost anything to go away in the 80's & early 90,s all the costs were covered.
What I should have was the elite of today that dont bowl Rachuig dont mainly because they fork out $1,500 - $2,000 with little or no chance of recovering the money they have outlayed like they do going to tournaments.
(should have spelt it out better for the lefties I suppose)

Back
Top Bottom