How important is a Urethane Ball in your Arsenal?

Toon

OWN IT!
I am looking for a new Urethane and just happened to notice that a lot more brands are releasing Urethanes than 5 years ago. Possibly because there is more demand for one now.

So who here uses a Urethane ball in their setup?

When do you pull it out?

How often do you pull it out?

Who makes the best Urethane right now?

At the moment, I think the Roto Grip grenade is the best going around.

Discuss!!!

I am looking for a new Urethane and just happened to notice that a lot more brands are releasing Urethanes than 5 years ago. Possibly because there is more demand for one now.

So who here uses a Urethane ball in their setup?

When do you pull it out?

How often do you pull it out?

Who makes the best Urethane right now?

At the moment, I think the Roto Grip grenade is the best going around.

Discuss!!!

Can't dispute your line of thinking there, dependent on where you are likely to bowl and what you need it for. I use it for league and the occasional tournament, ie the last couple of NSW Opens where they have played a short pattern, the urethane has been extremely useful.

At the moment, IMHO I don't think there is a better urethane than the Grenade, the Pearl Natural is not too bad, but the Grenade is strong with the core from the Riot.

I have a Visionary Slate Blue Gargoyle polished urethane but it hasn't seen the light of day for quite some time now.
It sits in a box at home sulking.
I used it on very dry lane conditions but I find my Track 503c suits medium to dry conditions well.

My last 2 300 games were with urethane, Burgundy Hammer at Wodonga skins for when they're torched at the end of the day and Purple Hammer at Mildura Marathon in game 2 while i still have head oil and not much carry down. Both are drilled axis weight and are very smooth and predictable, l'll use them all day if the carry is on. I always have at least one urethane in the bag.

I have a JPF Axe for special occasions, but my Brunswick Avalanche Urethane is a bloody ripper. I had a Storm Natural and even though I've never used the Natural Pearl, I can guarantee it's better!

I don't use any of them that much though, to be honest. They're boxed up in the garage awaiting a short pattern. Hopefully NSW open runs one again.

I'm on my 2nd scarlet turbo. ATM I'm only using it and an 811ase for league.

My God, you wore one out..? That's the second toughest thing I ever had to drill! Made a Grey Angle or Nail seem easy! Imagine a material that made all your drill bits seem blunt. A ball that made you brace with your left hand to ease the torsional forces in your upper body from attempting to pull a spinning bit through it... Once you got a thumb hole in it, it didn't need a slug. They drilled like glass! So freaking dense! Good ball too. I only threw a 16lb one out last year. It had been a garden ornament for over a decade in the blue mountains, then Canberra before losing it's shine!

I have a JPF Axe for special occasions, but my Brunswick Avalanche Urethane is a bloody ripper. I had a Storm Natural and even though I've never used the Natural Pearl, I can guarantee it's better!

I don't use any of them that much though, to be honest. They're boxed up in the garage awaiting a short pattern. Hopefully NSW open runs one again.

Geez Jase, that ball is almost older than me!!!

I remember having to resurface one of those things...

Would almost prefer to drill a LT48 with blunt bits

WOW an LT48 now that brings back memories , they wore out quick, they were so soft.
I remember a few of them not passing the Durometer test at South Pacific back in the day

I believe the increased demand has risen from the increase of Short Patterns at international levels, where the Urethane balls matched up unbelievably well. Many of the high rev/power pro's have found some use for them (see the first WSOB where Rhino and Ciminnilli used them extensively). I like to have one in my line up for said short patterns, or where I find friction on the outside, otherwise I don't have the hand to get enough entry angle playing inside with them.
I used to use one as a spare ball as opposed to carrying a plastic, but I rarely used it as a strike ball, for said reasons.
The high rev guys can probably justify carrying one permanently, the lower rev players will find other balls that may be more useful unless you know specifically the pattern and how it plays.

Cheers, Cow

I've always had a Urethane for past 10 years, anybody with a good amount of hand should carry one. I am looking at getting the Grenade very soon just saving up for it. Currently l have a Storm Flame Urethane and its still strong (7 years on). I pretty much pull mine out on the med - light oils mainly during league or once the lane breaks down a bit much. It's seriously my go to ball pull if l'm struggling with line and length. Long as l still shoot with the same amount of hand its a Brillant Ball that Coverstock!!

Back
Top Bottom