Hmmm, something doesn't add up.....

Michael Little

So the Nationals entry forms have been released with the prize payout for the Open Masters as below.

Guys:

1st - $5000
2nd - $2500
3rd/4th - $1250
5th-8th - $625
9th-16th - $300

Total payout $14900

Womens:

1st - $3000
2nd - $1500
3rd/4th - $750
5th - 8th - $375
9th - 16th - $180

Total payout $8940

So a total prize payout of $23840 for both pools.

Now, someone in the know can clarify, but there is supposedly a big amount of sponsorship provided by the local council and other sponsors with some money allocated to the championships and a substantially big amount rumoured alone to be allocated for the Open Masters.

If this is true, this would mean that not many dollars are being added from entry fees and qualifying attempts or this sponsorship money is being used for unintended purposes.

I argee wen i 1st looked at it i was taken back and have been thinking about it myself im glad now im not the only one.

From what I understand the person that matters is Geoff, just highlighting something I thought was odd based on some information from previous. Happy to be corrected anytime and certainly not saying anything is wrong.

From what I understand the person that matters is Geoff, just highlighting something I thought was odd based on some information from previous. Happy to be corrected anytime and certainly not saying anything is wrong.

Michael,

Several big picture questions arise from your original post, not in the least is TBA's inward focus on itself rather than being focused on members or growing the sport. imho.
Separate to that subject...

Why does prizefund occupy such importance in the sport of Bowling ?

Competitors in other sports seem to be much happier than bowlers to compete for the glory or prestige of a title. The financial gain for many other sporting competitions is not the driving force as it is in bowling tournaments. I have a couple of trophies from another sport which probably cost more dollars to win, than what I have spent in total on bowling, for the last 40yrs
I think a major factor is, what I call, Bowling's Fatal Flaw. Because there is much less direct competition between participants, satisfaction levels in the actual contest, is much lower than other sports. Therefore the focus has become more fixated on the dollar value on offer because the bowling event lacks much of what other sports have in direct satisfaction while competing
At any level of bowling, the lack of intensity between competitors is alarmingly evident. Most bowlers dont even know what their competitors are bowling and even if they are aware, it's very difficult to know who is winning anyhow.
You only have to compare against other sports, the fitness level required, the age range that people can compete successfully, the number of hours the sport is available to be player or the weather constraints of many sports.
Weigh up all these considerations and you will be excused for wondering why Bowling is not a much more popular sport than it is.
I have concluded that the lack of satisfaction in the contest is where the difference lies. From that, most of Bowling's woes can easily be explained.
In the specific case of your question, if the title meant enough, the prizefund would not matter and more importantly, the contest would attract many more competitors than it does.

PS: Good luck if you do decide to bowl.

Mistagear,
Yes, Yes, Yes, I agree that the $$$$ trophy has not assited in our game. Look at golf for instance. At your local club every weekend you have people out walking the course for 5 or 6 hours for a prize quite often of less then $100 in value and not cash. And if this doesn't convince you look at the course at Club Championship time. You don't just have the good golfers from all over the place coming to play, it is for your club members only and it is prestigious to be the winner. People don't play in it for the prize money.
Unfortunately we start this merry go round at Junior Level. I don't believe we would have less juniors bowling if there was a trophy and no prize money. Lets face it mum and dad pay the fees so they don't realy care most of the time. Let's reduce the cost and try and get more involved. be proud to be the winner. Winning Master Shirts for example are the best because it shows what you have done without you having to brag.
But our chances are ????

Best to pick up the phone and ask Cara at TBA directly

Why is it that people think they can just pick up the phone and call the CEO?

Is it me or is there a lack of respect for the CEO of TBA. If you have an issue with a local council event do you pick up the phone and call the Prime Minister of Australia? No you don’t, there are appropriate channels that you must follow.

You may not like her choices or like her as a person but there needs to be some respect for the position she holds and what she is trying to achieve for our sport.

Maybe if people spent less time calling, emailing her directly she would have more time to work on improving and increasing the sustainability of our game.

TBA is an organisation...

Correspondence comes to Graham Quirk (Lord Mayor) and Colin Jensen (CEO of Brisbane City Council) all the time; we have a team which deals with these types of requests.

I don't see how TBA would not have the same style of process (obviously smaller than a local council).

Look bowling is a very expensive sport. Why would bowlers of Michael's calibre pay and play for this when they can make more money on the national circuit or even in local tournaments? I recently finished 3rd in the Queensland Masters and won the sum total of $0. Finish 3rd in any other event I play in and I make at least $300. Sorry but glory isn't enough anymore. Flame me all you want for these comments but I know tons of people agree with me.

I emailed TBA a couple of months back requesting every member of the executive be given a copy of my questions. After many follow up emails asking such things as "Is it TBA's policy to answer or ignore questions", I eventually received a reply from Cara Honeychurch which was akin to a pat on the head and saying go away Sonny, you are wasting your time asking serious questions here.
I think it incumbent on the Executives who stand for positions in a sporting organization such as TBA to be accessible to the members of that organization, and to answer reasonable questions in a timely manner. From my experience, that may be a waste of time, I can only hope I'm wrong.

Look bowling is a very expensive sport. Why would bowlers of Michael's calibre pay and play for this when they can make more money on the national circuit or even in local tournaments? I recently finished 3rd in the Queensland Masters and won the sum total of $0. Finish 3rd in any other event I play in and I make at least $300. Sorry but glory isn't enough anymore. Flame me all you want for these comments but I know tons of people agree with me.

I dont necessarily agree that bowling is "an expensive sport" when compared to many other sports, bowling is relatively cheap.
Do agree "why should bowlers etc" , when a sport is deficient in satisfaction of the competition itself, only money makes it worth competing. Unfortunately a system where a few benefit from the many is a Ponzi Scheme and eventually those systems fail completely when the many figure out what the few are there for.
When you say "sorry the glory isn't enough anymore", what I think you are really saying is, the satisfaction level in the Tournaments you bowl in, isn't enough. If someone said you could bowl in the recent US Open but not be eligible for the prizemoney, I'm guessing you might have been interested in having a throw.

I emailed TBA a couple of months back requesting every member of the executive be given a copy of my questions. After many follow up emails asking such things as "Is it TBA's policy to answer or ignore questions", I eventually received a reply from Cara Honeychurch which was akin to a pat on the head and saying go away Sonny, you are wasting your time asking serious questions here.
I think it incumbent on the Executives who stand for positions in a sporting organization such as TBA to be accessible to the members of that organization, and to answer reasonable questions in a timely manner. From my experience, that may be a waste of time, I can only hope I'm wrong.

Have you thought about going through your State Association to take your questions to TBA? That way your questions can be tabled to the correct people at TBA on your behalf. Your state or local association may have been able to answer some of your questions.

There are many reasons for communication protocols.

Did you think that Cara’s response may have been vague as it was not high on her list of priorities to personally respond to each of your questions or that your questions actually warranted a response from her?

While I’m having a good rant! Why so you feel so extraordinary that your questions deserved the right to be presented to every Executive? I’m sure Cara does have the best interest of every bowler in this country, but she is not going to be able to keep everyone happy and respond to every email, phone call, total bowling post.

Step back, show some maturity and follow a polite and respectful approach to our governing sporting body.

I dont necessarily agree that bowling is "an expensive sport" when compared to many other sports, bowling is relatively cheap.
Do agree "why should bowlers etc" , when a sport is deficient in satisfaction of the competition itself, only money makes it worth competing. Unfortunately a system where a few benefit from the many is a Ponzi Scheme and eventually those systems fail completely when the many figure out what the few are there for.
When you say "sorry the glory isn't enough anymore", what I think you are really saying is, the satisfaction level in the Tournaments you bowl in, isn't enough. If someone said you could bowl in the recent US Open but not be eligible for the prizemoney, I'm guessing you might have been interested in having a throw.
If you had paid for me to get there and bowl then yes. Otherwise, no. An average tournament cost with accommodation in my own state is at least $300. To go so far into a tournament and not get anything is crap in my situation. In the nationals, a detail of where the money is going should be put out. If there is huge sponsorship then surely the bowlers should benefit not the organisation.

Have you thought about going through your State Association to take your questions to TBA? That way your questions can be tabled to the correct people at TBA on your behalf. Your state or local association may have been able to answer some of your questions.

There are many reasons for communication protocols.

Did you think that Cara’s response may have been vague as it was not high on her list of priorities to personally respond to each of your questions or that your questions actually warranted a response from her?

While I’m having a good rant! Why so you feel so extraordinary that your questions deserved the right to be presented to every Executive? I’m sure Cara does have the best interest of every bowler in this country, but she is not going to be able to keep everyone happy and respond to every email, phone call, total bowling post.

Step back, show some maturity and follow a polite and respectful approach to our governing sporting body.

Davo,
The questions and accompanying suggestions related to the future of our sport, and moving the sport forward into the future. I considered the subjects appropriately placed. My call, perhaps wrong, but thats how I see it.
The reply was dismissive, showed considerable lack of positive attitude to the sport and displayed to me much of the reason, why the sport is failing.. but hey, I could be wrong if the current Executive are actually growing the sport without looking for new ideas, thats great.

PS: TBA policy does not encourage "local associations" anyhow. They expect to satisfy and grow membership from a central office and seem totally focused on satisfying Bureaucrats for their funding hand-outs, not members

Davo,
The questions and accompanying suggestions related to the future of our sport, and moving the sport forward into the future. I considered the subjects appropriately placed. My call, perhaps wrong, but thats how I see it.
The reply was dismissive, showed considerable lack of positive attitude to the sport and displayed to me much of the reason the sport is failing.. but hey, I could be wrong if the current Executive are actually growing the sport without looking for new ideas, thats great.

PS: TBA policy does not encourage "local associations" anyhow. They expect to satisfy and grow membership from a central office and seem totally focused on satisfying Bureaucrats for their funding hand-outs, not members

That’s a fair response to my rant considering I don’t know what your questions were and what response you had.

I am still a strong believer that people need to utilise and support their State Associations more for questioning TBA actions.

To be honest when I was in WA, I was involved in a situation that went to TBA, but all parties concerned followed WATBA advice and allowed WATBA to communicate with TBA. It made the process smoother and more professional development. It was refreshing to see to supporting bodies work together.

If you want to speak to TBA then ring the office number and I am sure one of the lovely girls there can assist you or pass your enquiry onto Cara.
I work for local government and very rarely does the CEO answer questions for the general public. All of us officers are skilled in a certain area and if the question relates to our field then it gets sent to us to answer not the CEO unless it is something major.

Back
Top Bottom