Google Maps Street Level

PeterB

Elite Armchair Athlete
Just had a look and I can't believe what I see. There's my car sitting on the verge as plain as day. I don't know if this is a good thing or not. I can see right in my front door. I'm certainly not comfortable with this. Can this be considered an invasion of privacy? Are there safety issues to be considered here?

Thoughts!

For everyday people like you and I, it's given a mixed result. It's good in the sense that friends or family can see where you live. However, it's bad as it does appear to invade everyone's privacy and might bring undesired people to your home.

I also think terrorists would use this to their advantage because it would give them an easy way to do their research on potential targets such as government buildings.

You guys are paranoid...
The WhitePages directory gives more information than a snapshot that was taken ONCE and shows your home at that ONE INSTANT in time.

I think undesirables are more likely to drive or walk past your house than google it.
I was quite impressed with the ability to do a 360 with the image.

Rob

You guys are paranoid...
The WhitePages directory gives more information than a snapshot that was taken ONCE and shows your home at that ONE INSTANT in time.

That's true, if your number isn't private. I have a female friend in country NSW. A single mother who happens to drag race. She has a very recognisable drag car that can be seen plain as day. She's a very private person. Now she can be easily found. She's only in a small town. I think paranoia is warranted.

I'm impressed with the technology but not impressed with the blatant disregard for privacy. They can literally read the newspaper from over your shoulder nowdays. Next will be the thought police (George Orwell's "1984").

Put's it in perspective. And in all seriousness, are you telling me they can't catch Osama bin Laden with technology like this? You are kidding yourself!!

Regarding it being a snapshot of one moment in time, that's only the images Google get (can you imagine the cost of a live feed?). This literally means every move you make can be watched. Whether or not you have something to hide, it is an invasion of privacy.

We checked it out last night and it was fun to see whether we were gonna see a snapshot of someone we knew doing something a little embarassing :eek:

However, it is an invasion a privacy and who knows what level they can take it to in the future.

We're just glad the images were taken when the front door was shut and we weren't doing a nuddy run after a shower :oops:

The photos must have been taken quite a while ago as our house still had Christmas lights up and we removed them before the new year!

remembering that it is a static photo taken at some point in time. So realistically its no more an invasion of privacy that any other random picture. I can understand people feeling weirded by it, by i think its kinda cool.

How is it an invasion of privacy!?! Nothing is shown anymore than anyone would see while walking past. If you don't want people to see inside your house, why is your door open?? If you are concerned someone might recognise you via you car, put it in the garage!

Some people have a warped sense of privacy! Is a phone call on a mobile phone on the train private??? Would you believe there are people out there that would say YES!! OMFG!!! :confused:

If you don't want to bee seen in your pyjama's WHAT THE #%$& ARE YOU DOING OUTSIDE IN THEM?!?!?!?!?

HAhaahahahha.

Just goes to show how many people listen to the "NEWS" and formulate their opinion based on it without "THINKING" and formulating an "EDUCATED" view.

Explain to me one valid reason that shows it as an invasion of privacy!

Rhyss.

Career village idiot?

Every forum needs one. I guess you're as good as anyone for the position. You certainly have the credentials.

Career village idiot?
Every forum needs one. I guess you're as good as anyone for the position. You certainly have the credentials.

Now why did you have to go and make this a personal attack? Not once did I attack your kind and knowledgeable self.

I had an opinion, I voiced it. I did not attack you and if you read it, it is actually quite valid. No one has given a valid example, as of yet, so the statement must have some validity to it. No?

You then reply quite rudely (AND off topic) with no reference to the topic at hand.

I, being a gentleman, did not take it personally and LAUGHED it off with on ON TOPIC joke while referencing a valid answer to your posed attack.

You then have to take it upon yourself to AGAIN tirade myself with personal attacks, again, not referencing the topic at hand.

A forum is available to voice opinion ON TOPIC, hopefully, with out TOSS ERS like yourself, with no valid opinion or argument, personally attacking other forum members on their opinions.

I honestly do hope moderators do look into this "exchange of views" and quite rightly, take action on whoever it is that did not quite play within the rules of an online forum. If not, I do believe the forum members will remember. I feel quite comfortable in that knowledge.

As they say those who have no argument generally throw stones. I guess that is also a valid statement now days. On reviewing what has been said, on both sides, I am sure the bowling community will come to a valid opinion on who of us is truly the IDIOT!

Please refrain from replying with your quick wit as, if you do, I will not be carrying on your childish and idiotic behaviour from after this post.

Cheers,

Rhyss.

Back
Top Bottom